• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#321 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'll say this: Holland did as well as he could with his offers to other FA that chose to go elsewhere - besides maybe Gilbert which could have been a cheap improvement and still left room for the top-2 or -4 defenseman we were seeking. Despite his compounded failure to "nut-up" in previous off-seasons, I honestly believe he did all within his power to get the players we needed this off-season (given the current sad state of the team, which is his doing). If they don't want to come here, you can't force them and shouldn't grossly overpay them.

However, there is absolutely ZERO excuse for the Quincey signing. That is disappointment turning into full-blown, unavoidable, mature, objective, and justified RAGE. Holland did what he always does when he misses out on his target: slaps some tape and shoe-polish on trash and tries to pass it off as a "bargain" or a "consolation prize". We aren't getting the sirloin because they ran out of prime rib; we've been fed a steady diet of cold spam. For that, Holland should be replaced.

#322 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

I don't think it is going to happen, as a matter of fact I am 99% sure it won't, but if we couldn't get anyone for free yesterday, he could still trade Kindl for a pick (7th or futures) and promote one of the kids full time.  I know he has made Detroit the LAST place anyone wants to come to, but even with that being known now, I would have been a bit ok with going with the straight up kids and not re-signing #KFQ.

BTW, if #KFQ is worth (in #firekenholland mind) $4.25M what the heck is Diesel going to get? He could become the highest paid defenseman on the team...he is leaps better than #KFQ.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#323 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Kudos to Quincey's agent by the way.  Seriously.  How he managed to get his client a raise is beyond me. 

You know who I feel bad for?  Kyle Quincey.  I know he's not that good, and I know that he should be playing for someone else, and I know that he's now getting drastically overpaid.  But you can't blame him for signing the contract.  He just wants to play hockey.  But because Holland was such a massive failure yesterday, Quincey is back, and now any little mistake he makes will be magnified 2000% because people are (justifiably) pissed off. 

Final thought:  How funny is it that the story prior to free agency was "The Wings would like to re-sign Kyle Quincey but it's believed he'll seek a raise on the open market".  The irony is killing me. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#324 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

This is how I see it: This 1st July is a big clusterf*** for us. There have to be serious problems within the Organisation if a team like the Caps got choosen over us. These Problems have to be analysed and adressed by Kenny and/or the Ownership. However I don't think these problems can be solved this Offseason.
Because of this I think the signing of Quincy is not ideal but reasonable. We were simply in need of a D-Man not named Kindl or Lashoff. Can anybody imagine how atricious a second (!) paring of DeKeyser/Lashoff would be? And to think that the Kids in GR would step up and fill the gap is very optimistic. It does work with exceptional gifted guys like DeKeyser, others need their time to get used to the NHL. Playing constantly on the second pair is asking to much of the guys.

Quincy is a stopgap for these 2 years to get these Kids ready, nothing more. Holland knows that, he knows that. There is no other reason why his contract is how it is.To assume Holland signed him as the solution for our problems is an insult to his intelligence. Holland signed him because he had no choice and Quincy was willing to play the patch for the next two years.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#325 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Even if Holland would have managed to sign a free agent defenseman like Niskanen or Boyle, I'm not entirely convinced he would not have re-signed Quincey.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#326 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

right and with guys like morris and del zotto still out there maybe his looking to move kindl and lashoff to solidify some better depth id be ok with this

Kronwall Big E

Smith   DD

Q       Del Zotto

Sproul

than you have at least a good backup in Sproul and possibly can move him up to Qs spot if he is the worst one to go with every night

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#327 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

From Puck Daddy article on Yahoo. Full read at http://sports.yahoo....-154852827.html

5. The lure of playing for the legendary Detroit Red Wings

There was a time when all you heard about was the mystique of Detroit. What an organization and so on. They could just get free agents by snapping their fingers and casually mentioning that they might like to sign them.

Oh, how times have changed. Here's the sum total of Detroit's signings on Day 1, as of about 7:30 p.m. on the East Coast: Kevin Porter and Kyle Quincey. (And they had to give Quincey $4.25 million a year because the bartender turned on all the lights and told everyone to go home.)

As they did in the Ryan Suter/Zach Parise sweepstakes, it was a big ol' swing and a miss from Ken Holland as every available free agent you'd actually be excited to sign said thanks but no thanks to wearing the Winged Wheel and being the guy holding the wheel when the team finally missed the playoffs for the first time in a century.

Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle, Anton Stralman. All of em passed. They couldn't even lock down Stephane Robidas, and that guy's 37 and just broke his leg.

The sun's going down on the days of the Red Wings being a model franchise, and with Datsyuk and Zetterberg starting to wind down a bit, you can't imagine darkness is going to take too much longer to fall unless this team realizes its actual shortcomings.

People don't want to play for teams because they're good organizations. They want to play for teams that will either pay them way more than they're worth or give them a chance to win (or both). Detroit simply doesn't provide the latter now that Nicklas Lidstrom is gone.

#328 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

I don't disagree with the premise of that article, but Ryan Lambert has bashed the Wings at every opportunity for years. He's a Blackhawks slappy that somehow got a job pretending to be an objective writer for Yahoo. I knew who had written that article just by reading the part posted without even opening the link.

Lambert is a clown. Helene St. James never finds anything wrong with the Red Wings and Lambert never sees anything right. Both are hacks.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#329 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I don't disagree with the premise of that article, but Ryan Lambert has bashed the Wings at every opportunity for years. He's a Blackhawks slappy that somehow got a job pretending to be an objective writer for Yahoo. I knew who had written that article just by reading the part posted without even opening the link.

Lambert is a clown. Helene St. James never finds anything wrong with the Red Wings and Lambert never sees anything right. Both are hacks.

Problem is that this article hit a bit too close to home for my tastes... 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#330 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

When your (in this case, the Wings) biggest critics are right about you, it's time to reevaluate what you're doing.

#331 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

FiveQuestionsQuincey.jpg

#332 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

He has some s***ty friends and family if the best present he ever got was a bagel cutter. Don't bagels come pre-cut anyway??

Just think of the the bagels and bagel accessories he can now buy with his 8 million.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#333 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

I wonder if he likes cheese bagels, or just plain, like him.

#334 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

People don't want to play for teams because they're good organizations. They want to play for teams that will either pay them way more than they're worth or give them a chance to win (or both). Detroit simply doesn't provide the latter now that Nicklas Lidstrom is gone.

This is very true and it makes sense.  In some cases, people make decisions to play for their favorite team.  Like Vanek did with Minnesota or DeKeyser did with the Wings.  Still, to those people who are not loyal to a team, they want top dollar or a chance to compete for the cup or both.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#335 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

You forgot about last season when even St. James called for Quincey to be traded.

#336 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Holland hates admitting that he's wrong. He traded a 1st for Quincey, which meant that turnover Kyle was always coming back.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#337 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

I just cannot believe that even with the remaining D men out there, that #KFQ was the choice for Holland... I cannot believe that Morris and Gleason are still unsigned and #KFQ got re-signed and a raise...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#338 Stinkyness

Stinkyness

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

Even I had to log in to add my own WTF??!!

Just waiting for the other thing now.....Cleary, 5 yr 6.5m!!!!! Yah, you know KH is gonna DO IT!

#339 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Even I had to log in to add my own WTF??!!

Just waiting for the other thing now.....Cleary, 5 yr 6.5m!!!!! Yah, you know KH is gonna DO IT!

Yup. It's like a car accident - you don't want to watch any longer, but you just can't turn your head..

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke, 02 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#340 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

So........ How much will Holland give Danny boy???