• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#361 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

If Quincey could play like he did the last 3-4 weeks of last season, I'd actually be pretty happy with him on the team.

The key is no more Smith/Quincey pairing. Keep them apart, along with a healthy Ericsson and the defense is already a lot better than late season. Not even counting the fact that DeKeyser and Smith will only improve. 

While I don't think Holland is done with the defense at all, even if all that happens is getting rid of Kindl and bumping Lashoff down to #7, the defense is much improved. Because once Q and Smith were split up, the issue was always the 3rd pairing. 

#362 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

If Quincey could play like he did the last 3-4 weeks of last season, I'd actually be pretty happy with him on the team.

That is not going to happen until 3-4 weeks before the end of his contract.

Edited by arag, 03 July 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#363 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

I don't know, while I'm not a Holland basher or a doom and gloom type, this just has the feel of Free Agency 2012, the sequel.  I just don't like the "we'll be better because we'll have less injuries" is just something you can't ever count on.  I don't think Kyle Quincey is the worst defenseman ever, but yet I still can't process that he's worth 4.5 million either.  Did anyone else even want him?  It was like with Samuelsson.  He got a two year deal for 3 million over 2 years and a NTC when it didn't seem as though there was a whole lot of league interest in him.  Same with Tootoo, Bertuzzi, Colaiocovo

#364 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

We can't know for sure, but the fact that they went from no negotiations to a signed contract in a matter of an hour or two makes me think there wasn't a whole lot of prior interest in Quincey around the NHL.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#365 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

The key is no more Smith/Quincey pairing. Keep them apart, along with a healthy Ericsson and the defense is already a lot better than late season. Not even counting the fact that DeKeyser and Smith will only improve.

That's an interesting point. Why don't you think that pairing works? In a sense, Quincey doesn't produce offense so he "must be" a defensive defensemen. Yet he doesn't pair well with Smith because he sucks at being a defensive defenseman. Which kind of made me think.. who actually pairs well with Quincey? In my mind... nobody? Maybe Ericsson... but boy is that D pairing a couple of fat rooted trees. Probably a huge reason why nobody wanted this contract is because he doesn't fit well with anybody. What kind of "role" does KFQ play? He doesn't hit, he doesn't score, he's not overly gifted in his own zone. He just sort of does nothing out there.

Edited by themcityblues, 03 July 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#366 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

That's an interesting point. Why don't you think that pairing works? In a sense, Quincey doesn't produce offense so he "must be" a defensive defensemen. Yet he doesn't pair well with Smith because he sucks at being a defensive defenseman. Which kind of made me think.. who actually pairs well with Quincey? In my mind... nobody? Maybe Ericsson... but boy is that D pairing a couple of fat rooted trees. Probably a huge reason why nobody wanted this contract is because he doesn't fit well with anybody. What kind of "role" does KFQ play? He doesn't hit, he doesn't score, he's not overly gifted in his own zone. He just sort of does nothing out there.

Just one of those things where 2 players do not mesh. Can't be explained, but sometimes it happens. Quincey is good defensively, it just took him a frustratingly long time to show that. He also put up points a little more consistently once he got over the all around awfulness. Not saying he was scoring a lot, but he chipped in from time to time. My guess he is either paired with Dekeyser or he is on the 3rd pairing while still playing 20 minutes per game.

I also still think a trade happens to bring in the puck mover we all wanna see. Keeping Quincey just gives Holland flexibility in making the right deal. Whether that be during the summer, or during the season. In the end, he couldn't go into the season with 2 rookies on defense. And really, who else out there is as solid as Quincey was before returning to Detroit? Sure they could have gotten someone else. But what's to say they wouldn't struggle like Quincey has while adjusting to a new team? He overpaid for less risk. But being just 2 years, it's fine. I'd understand the fury if it were a longer deal at that price. But at 2 years, he isn't hurting the team. He is a capable defenseman. Not the ideal signing, but reliable when you look passed the early struggles. This is not an old man Sammy contract. That contract was far worse. 

#367 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

We have NO idea what negotiations went on with Quincey prior to his signing.  He may have had an if/then scenario in place with the Wings prior to hitting the market and that may have been a factor in the timing of his agreement

I don't know that there was...don't know that there wasn't.  I find it laughable that terms like "panic" and "desperation" are being used as if the people posting have some kind of insight re the mental state of Ken Holland.   Hell...you don't even know if the plan was to re-sign Quincey all along even if a guy like Boyle said "yes"...he had the room to do both.  You might be in a panic...you might feel a sense of desperation, feel free...it's your right as a fan. 

Edited by Shinzaki, 03 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#368 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I agree, it's the raise that bothers me much more than that we resigned him, 4.25 for Quincey is just insane and he is now one of the best paid players on the team...

Other players who are at most slightly better got similar contracts. That's just what the market dictated. I would have signed him anyway, but that's me.

We can't know for sure, but the fact that they went from no negotiations to a signed contract in a matter of an hour or two makes me think there wasn't a whole lot of prior interest in Quincey around the NHL.

Or they had been talking since the season was over and KFQ wanted to stay so he didn't push too hard.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#369 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

At least we can say we don't always pay players less than theyre worth

#370 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Other players who are at most slightly better got similar contracts. That's just what the market dictated. I would have signed him anyway, but that's me.
Or they had been talking since the season was over and KFQ wanted to stay so he didn't push too hard.

Could be, but I thought I remembered reading the week after we were eliminated that they didn't anticipate Quincey returning.  They were going to offer him a contract, but it sounded like they were going to low-ball him. So I guess I just assumed it was a low-ball offer that Quincey didn't consider, hence no negotiations.  Then, the July 1st Panic hit and it was all "We'll pay you whatever you want!"

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#371 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Right...ecause you were there and knew that there was this sudden rush of outright panic...

#372 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Right...ecause you were there and knew that there was this sudden rush of outright panic...

It's pretty plausible speculation. Besides, Holland has a track record of going back to players he has a history with out of desperation or lack of creativity. Quincey wasn't very sought after -- I think most general managers are astute enough to realize someone coming off Quincey's season isn't all that valuable of a commodity.

If it wasn't panic, then I assume you believe that Holland had some intention of keeping Quincey all along? That's just as ridiculous.

Edited by GoWings1905, 04 July 2014 - 11:15 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#373 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

As soon as all the big Dmen went off the market Qs price went way up

#374 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Plausible speculation or textbook projection?   I tend to think projection....