• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheel91

Dont Jump Yet...

Rate this topic

Mantha on the first line in his first NHL season, way to kill his development. Also where are Weiss, Franzen and where is the 8,5 million dollar man Quincey ?

I'd rather see the best prospects on GR and experience success instead of maybe missing the playoffs here or at worst fight for a top 5 pick.

Also IF excuses don't help the case, did the Blues play the injury card after losing against the Blackhawks ? No and neither should this team, even healthy this hasn't been a good team last year and it clearly showed against Boston.

Mantha on the first line in his first NHL season, way to kill his development. Also where are Weiss, Franzen and where is the 8,5 million dollar man Quincey ?

I'd rather see the best prospects on GR and experience success instead of maybe missing the playoffs here or at worst fight for a top 5 pick.

Also IF excuses don't help the case, did the Blues play the injury card after losing against the Blackhawks ? No and neither should this team, even healthy this hasn't been a good team last year and it clearly showed against Boston.

Actually we beat Boston in the regular season series, when healthy...soooooo..... While we may not be a great team, we were MUCH better when healthy.

Unfortunately, Mantha will only be making this team in a top 6 role... And based on all reports regarding his defensive inefficiencies - he will also be playing with our 2 best defensive forwards in that top 6 - But none of that matters because those line combinations were NOT my idea of who's pencilled into the lineup next year, it was my best way of displaying the potential depth this team has and what we can look forward to in the future. If you had read the first line before the names, it clearly states "for future reference, this is what our team looks like without Franzen, Weiss, Kindl and Quincey."

I still think it would be best for Mantha' long term future if he learned to become a pro in GR - even if for only half a season, just to get himself adjusted to playing against bigger, stronger competition. The Wings don't lose here. If he tears up the AHL in the first half of the season, then it's more experience for him and it'll show he's ready for the next level, without having to shove him in at the deep end with the possibility of stunting his development.

If he struggles, they can leave him there for longer to adapt and find his game. It's win-win IMO. For the record, it would be awesome to see Mantha start the year with the wings, but I think being in GR, even for a few months, would be beneficial.

Actually we beat Boston in the regular season series, when healthy...soooooo..... While we may not be a great team, we were MUCH better when healthy.

And that's why the regular season is the regular season... We beat the Kings too but wouldn't have stood a chance against them in the playoffs, we have a completely hollow defense

Guest DeGraa55

And that's why the regular season is the regular season... We beat the Kings too but wouldn't have stood a chance against them in the playoffs, we have a completely hollow defense

Ya it's great when people think the regular season matters. Playoffs have been and always will be a different animal.

So teams don't try in the regular season? Or there level of play in the regular season isn't indicative of their level? So Edmonton could possibly win in the playoffs if they would just make it?

I don't buy that the "regular season is the regular season" What is there to back it up? There's always logic behind the discrepancies.

We beat the kings in the season because they had some real problems with offence during the season. They worked things out and also brought in Gaborik, which gave them a big boost in the playoffs.

We lost so handily to the Bruins in the playoffs because Z and Datsyuk were dealing with significant injuries, our youth disappeared with the playoff pressure due to inexperience, Ericsson injuries forced the Kindl and Lashoff, Weiss injured forced Legwand on the team unsettling the lineup even more since he played himself onto the 4th line.

I know, I know, no excuses - but come on - Those factors don't account for the difference between regular season results against the Bruins and playoff results?

I don't buy that the "regular season is the regular season" What is there to back it up? There's always logic behind the discrepancies.

Well the fact that we beat the Bruins and Kings in the regular season but got crushed in the playoffs backs it up pretty solidly to me. Edmonton as you mention surely won the regular season series against some top team as well and they still wouldn't have a shot in hell in the playoffs. Surely you've seen enough hockey to see that the compete level goes up dramatically come playoff time, it is much harder to win and teams do play much harder than during a regular season game in the middle of january.

And btw in the last 4playoffs we have three first round exits and one second if I recall correctly so your talk about injuries doesn't really matter, we simply are not good enough right now, especially on defense and yet absolutely nothing is done to improve the team.

Edited by Ekmanc

Well the fact that we beat the Bruins and Kings in the regular season but got crushed in the playoffs backs it up pretty solidly to me. Edmonton as you mention surely won the regular season series against some top team as well and they still wouldn't have a shot in hell in the playoffs. Surely you've seen enough hockey to see that the compete level goes up dramatically come playoff time, it is much harder to win and teams do play much harder than during a regular season game in the middle of january.

And btw in the last 4playoffs we have three first round exits and one second if I recall correctly so your talk about injuries doesn't really matter, we simply are not good enough right now, especially on defense and yet absolutely nothing is done to improve the team.

I wouldn't say we got 'crushed' in the playoffs. In fact, we could have won 3 of those 5 games if not for some bad luck. Game 1 was as tight as could be, and we played the Bruins nose to nose. Games 2 and 3, granted, the Wings were outplayed. But game 4, with a 2-0 lead and playing well, that one should have been in the bag. And they played excellent in game 5 but just couldn't beat Rask.

I'm not saying that the Wings were the better team than Boston, but to say they got crushed is a little inaccurate IMO.

I wouldn't say we got 'crushed' in the playoffs. In fact, we could have won 3 of those 5 games if not for some bad luck. Game 1 was as tight as could be, and we played the Bruins nose to nose. Games 2 and 3, granted, the Wings were outplayed. But game 4, with a 2-0 lead and playing well, that one should have been in the bag. And they played excellent in game 5 but just couldn't beat Rask.

I'm not saying that the Wings were the better team than Boston, but to say they got crushed is a little inaccurate IMO.

Well I disagree with this, I think Boston turned it on when they needed to and scored easy goals early in the games and then they just shut us down. Even if the score was close we were never actually close to winning after the first game we created no chances whatsoever.

Guest DeGraa55

Unfortunately, Mantha will only be making this team in a top 6 role... And based on all reports regarding his defensive inefficiencies - he will also be playing with our 2 best defensive forwards in that top 6 - But none of that matters because those line combinations were NOT my idea of who's pencilled into the lineup next year, it was my best way of displaying the potential depth this team has and what we can look forward to in the future. If you had read the first line before the names, it clearly states "for future reference, this is what our team looks like without Franzen, Weiss, Kindl and Quincey."

Read what I said....FRANZEN AND WEISS HAVE MORE YEARS LEFT THEN DAT. So why is dat on theam but not them??!?!?!?!?? SMFH

4 games to one is crushed.

Is like if we lost 4 games 1-0. Only four goals scored but a sweep I a sweep.

Now chicago? We cam say that was close...why? Because it was a SEVEN game series not five...

No dude, there's no sugar coating this one. We got crushed. We got decimated. We got embarrassed. 5 goals in 5 games is straight up shut down.

The Bruins down right outplayed us in every single game and if it wasn't for a tremendous amount of posts and whiffed shots on open nets (ahem, Marchand), the score would have been a massacre.

Out of all the playoff series, including Tampa bay, I honestly would say ours was the most one sided. There was never a doubt in anyone's mind Boston would lose this.

If you can't see this for what it is, than your rose colored glasses are as bright as Holland's.

No dude, there's no sugar coating this one. We got crushed. We got decimated. We got embarrassed. 5 goals in 5 games is straight up shut down.

The Bruins down right outplayed us in every single game and if it wasn't for a tremendous amount of posts and whiffed shots on open nets (ahem, Marchand), the score would have been a massacre.

Out of all the playoff series, including Tampa bay, I honestly would say ours was the most one sided. There was never a doubt in anyone's mind Boston would lose this.

If you can't see this for what it is, than your rose colored glasses are as bright as Holland's.

The point is we lost. I don't care if it's 7 games against Chi or 5 against Bos, a loss is a loss. Saying it was close or saying we got crushed are both stupid. Many thigs could have gone differently.

The point is we lost. I don't care if it's 7 games against Chi or 5 against Bos, a loss is a loss. Saying it was close or saying we got crushed are both stupid. Many thigs could have gone differently.

It does matter when you're evaluating the quality of your team in preparation for the next season though. Barely losing an extremely hard fought series vs clearly never having a chance in a series suggest two very different things and likely different approaches for what you address in the off-season.

It does matter when you're evaluating the quality of your team in preparation for the next season though. Barely losing an extremely hard fought series vs clearly never having a chance in a series suggest two very different things and likely different approaches for what you address in the off-season.

Exactly. Just my opinion that I thought we could have won 2 of the games. That was all. But it's done, the experience counts, and I'm looking forward to next season.

Except ur talking about 2 different teams. The freak injuries we had this year severely crippled us. It may have been much closer otherwise. A low is a loss, ur subjective interpretation is well... A subjective opinion

Except ur talking about 2 different teams. The freak injuries we had this year severely crippled us. It may have been much closer otherwise. A low is a loss, ur subjective interpretation is well... A subjective opinion

I take your point that we were injured, but disagree with the logic you're using.

Yes, a loss is a loss in the stats of the regular season or in the number that will eliminate you in the playoffs. But when you're building a team, all losses shouldn't be viewed the same. Otherwise you could similarly say something like, "well, you either win the Stanley Cup or you don't." I mean, yes it's tautologically true, but it would make no sense to compare the Wings to say, the Buffalo Sabres.

In any event, while I'd like to say that we'll be better next year if we're not hit so hard with injuries, I truthfully don't think it would make a huge difference. (And yes, that's a subjective opinion.) There was just something missing in the attitude or the energy of this team when we were healthy. It changed a bit when the injuries hit because of how young we got, but then of course there's the rookie mistakes too. IMO we're short a quality top 4 defenseman and a quality top 6 forward (which was the hole that Weiss was supposed to fill). Who knows though, maybe Weiss will be a 60+ player this year, the whole team will click and we'll go far in the playoffs.

Edited by Zetts

You're smarter than this.

Understanding the hows and whys behind the final outcomes is everything.

You're smarter than this.

Understanding the hows and whys behind the final outcomes is everything.

I'm drunk right now so bear with me.

I'm saying that the opinions vary so wildly that I don't even trust my own. Some think we bombed, others think we did good. I'm settling in the middle and saying a loss is a loss. One year we faced the champs, the other we had injuries. This year could be a cake walk for all I know. I'm leaving it at that and hoping for the best.

Ummm Tampa was swept and never stood a chance without bishop. They were more one sided than ours.

Going back to the original post. I'm assuming your whole reasoning behind the Wings improving over last year is based on the improvement of our young players. But in saying that other teams got worse, while not factoring in their young players developing isn't a fair assessment. It's also important to note that our top players are all a year older. They struggled with injuries last season, and now they're a year older, and even more likely to have to miss games. To assume that Kronwall/Datsyuk/Zetterberg all play 82 games this year is very hopeful.

Also, my main gripe about the offseason thus far is that we gave Quincey 4.25m. He's been awful since he arrived back in Detroit. I would have rather seen them spend an additional 1-2m and overpaid one of the other defensemen on the market than bring him back. It's one thing to look at each contract in a vacuum, but if that extra 1-2m isn't going to be spent anywhere else, we might as well have used it on an improvement over what we had.

Ummm Tampa was swept and never stood a chance without bishop. They were more one sided than ours.

If you can, watch the games. Yes it was a sweep, but 3 out of the 4 were pretty tight, a lot tighter than our series was.

Just because a series only goes 4 or 5 games doesn't mean it's one sided.

Ours very much was, so much so that at some points during the series, if you were unlucky enough to watch the Boston feed, they were actually rooting for us to get something going.

I would look forward to next season if we could get at least one single upgrade to our defense, without it we won't stand a chance again.

Y'know, I've been pushing this line of thought lately, but, as with many of the things I post here, I'm not sure I fully believe it. (Yes, I actually just said that.) Like, when we say we won't stand a chance, what do we actually mean? Won't stand a chance against an elite team in a best of seven? OK, sure. But how many elite teams are there in the East? One? True, we haven't done jack in the playoffs in years, but look at who we've faced since '09: a couple really good Sharks teams, a really good Ducks team, a really good Blackhawks team, and a really good Bruins team. True, this current roster might be the shakiest Wings team we've seen in ages, but I like its chances against any Eastern Conference team not named the Bruins or Islanders.

We barely made the dance this past season, but it wasn't necessarily because we're just that bad. If we stay relatively healthy, if Weiss contributes, if Howard comes anywhere close to earning his ridiculous contract, if we don't piss away leads, if we don't suck mercilessly at the shootout, if we don't suck mercilessly at home, if Smith keeps his head out of his ass, if Quincey doesn't singlehandedly cost us twelve points in the standings, if our power play isn't totally impotent, if one of the rookie defensemen can give us something we've been lacking on the back end, if Mantha can chip in, if Cleary doesn't return - if any one or two of those things can happen, it'll be huge for us.

I want to believe we can do some damage this season. I have to belive it.

Edited by Dabura