• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

TANK IT! 2014-2015 Season

Rate this topic

A lot of people that think the wings will fight to get in to the playoffs seem to forget that other than Boston, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and somewhat Florida the rest of the teams in the east were fighting for 6 playoff spots when the Olympics were over. Add in the fact that the wing were 2/3 of the Griffins during that time and they lost, if I remember correctly, 8-12 shoot outs. If they win those shoot outs all of a sudden the wings are playing Tampa bay in the first round and there is no talk of the wings getting bounced in the first round, second round probly but there are 22 teams that would have loved to made it that far, including Detroit.

And if we make the playoffs yet get touched in the 1st round (or even finish 9th or 10th), all you'll see is the same status-quo approach from Holland and head into the following season with the same roster, just a year older.

Rinse and repeat.

Except it's not going to be the same roster per say. Yes mostly the same on paper, but we ended the season without Big E, Weiss, Hank and 1/2 of Pav.

We started the season without Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist, Glendening and Helm. The team we ended up with "on paper" of...

Z-D-Aflie

Goose-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Abby-Helm-Glendening/Miller

Kronwall-Smith

Big E-Dekeyser

Quincey-Ouellet/Kindl/Lashoff

Barely even played together as a unit at the same time! So even though we didn't go out and overpay for a bunch of unproven or old guys we will still see change.

Cinderella frauds occasionally make the Finals. They don't win. Cinderella teams also occasionally take a 3-1 lead on the eventual Stanley Cup champs only to be exposed in games 5, 6, and 7.

Don't be fooled by Cinderella. She's really a homely girl with a mop and bucket.

While all this may be true, I'd still rather be Cinderella than an ugly stepsister. :(

How about you go buy Quincey and Cleary jerseys? Prove you're a true fan.

I hate Quincey and I hate Cleary even more. But to even consider "tanking" a season is beyond ridiculous. Especially a team like ours that makes the playoffs every year. I don't care how close it was, we continue to make the playoffs despite all the misfortunes thrown our way. And we actually played Boston pretty well for the most part in that series. Chara said it best when he said that it might have been a 5 game series but it sure didn't feel like one. Multiple OT games in that series. I wouldn't even consider tanking if we were a 12-15 seed. A legendary franchise like the Red Wings never say die and would never throw all integrity out the window and tank a season. So please, just go root for another team.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm really excited about our forward group I'd almost agree with the OP.

But having Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and possibly Jurco on the team from day 1?? Super exciting compared to our opening night lineup last season. Add to that a hopefully healthy Weiss, possibly hungry to prove himself, and the fact that Z and Pavel are always amazing to watch when they're healthy. They should also be playing together.

Of course, the defense puts a damper on things. I hope and pray Holland is not done. At the very least Kindl or Lashoff should be moved out to make room for Ouellet or Marchenko. Otherwise the one thing to look forward to is the continued development of Dekeyser and Smith.

I'm as disappointed as most with how yesterday went, but overall I actually do LIKE our team. What I wanted this offseason was at least 1 new d-man, but that's about it. We didn't get it (yet), but I could live with that. Maybe there will be some options at the trade deadline. Maybe injuries will open up a spot for a kid and that kid will have a Nyquist/Sheahan/Jurco impact. Every season is full of possibilities, even if Holland has so far done a really poor job of building excitement for this upcoming one.

Wow, it's amazing to think just because we didn't sign an over priced UFA (the Niskanen deal is horrible), people think we have a bad team. We're good, and going to have a better season with guys healthy and our young players a year older. Boston, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, so far, are worse then last year, and Buffalo and Florida still suck!

Wow, it's amazing to think just because we didn't sign an over priced UFA (the Niskanen deal is horrible),

We did sign a terribly overpriced UFA by the name of Quincey...

Also our defensive corps as a whole sucks, we will go nowhere in the playoffs with the current lineup healthy or otherwise.

Wow, it's amazing to think just because we didn't sign an over priced UFA (the Niskanen deal is horrible), people think we have a bad team. We're good, and going to have a better season with guys healthy and our young players a year older. Boston, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto, so far, are worse then last year, and Buffalo and Florida still suck!

The problem is Lidstrom has been retired for years, and was on the verge for years before that. Coupled with the loses of Rafi and Stuart, the team's defense has been a train wreck for a long time no with Holland doing exactly nothing to address that. And what has he done to address the imminent decline and lose of Z and D? These guys aren't spring chickens and are both becoming yearly threats to spend lengthy stints on the IR. Is there anyone in the Wings organization that, even if they reach the peak of their realistic ceiling, replace them? The answer is no. Z and D could and will turn into the next unfilled voids on Hollands CV.

We are retooling. Nobody in management expects to win the cup with this roster but they will go out and try to win. Getting the #5 seed is not a huge stretch

More likely that are the number 10 seed.

How do you figure? You'd have to assume the young players get worse, AHL callups don't contribute, and we somehow have even more injuries than we did last year. None of which are likely to happen.

And YOU have to assume Hank and Dats miraculously stay healthy, Nyquist goes on another 25 game scoring streak, our prospects improve, and other teams don't get better (even though they have). Edited by ShanahanMan

Why can't Nyquist, under a whole season (if healthy) score 20-25 goals? Our entire rookie 3rd line should at least match their last year totals.

Where are we exactly losing production? Even if we have a freak injury plagued season the totals should be matched. Without going through 25 games with Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson taking up roster spots from our most productive players

The fat is trimmed offensively. We may be a bit too lean sometimes but it looks a lot nicer then opening day last year

Edited by joesuffP

You realize that Holland TRIED to sign several "overpriced" players with overpriced offers, right? This is like claiming that Suter/Parise not signing here was shrewd on Holland's part.

Why can't Nyquist, under a whole season (if healthy) score 20-25 goals? Our entire rookie 3rd line should at least match their last year totals.

Where are we exactly losing production? Even if we have a freak injury plagued season the totals should be matched. Without going through 25 games with Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson taking up roster spots from our most productive players

The fat is trimmed offensively. We may be a bit too lean sometimes but it looks a lot nicer then opening day last year

Again you seem to have this weird notion that our team is full of potential superstars in the making. There is absolutely no indication guys like Jurco, Glendenning, Miller, Abdelkader, Sheahan are going to on some crazy scoring tear next year. I mean, I would be happy if they do, but there is absolutely no guarantee or even indication that is going to happen. It's all jsut wishful thinking that they are all either gonna be AS good or BETTER. Most of these guys wouldn't even make the 4th line on most teams. Great, we have Tatar and Nyquist who we can rely to net us 20-25 goals. Let's totally ride on that into the playoffs.

All that is GUARANTEED is we are a year older, with a core of superstars dealing with significant injuries. Everything else is up in the air.

Remember, despite making the playoffs, this is a team that finished with a losing record.

Why can't Nyquist, under a whole season (if healthy) score 20-25 goals?

Considering he scored 28 in 57 last season, I'd think most people would be kinda disappointed with 20-25 goals actually.

While that might not be fair, it's what happens when you have a run like he did much of last season.

Considering he scored 28 in 57 last season, I'd think most people would be kinda disappointed with 20-25 goals actually.

While that might not be fair, it's what happens when you have a run like he did much of last season.

And then finished his last 11 games with no goals.

Again, not trying to knock him, but you just never know....

Young players are going to be inconsistent. But having a guy that can step into the league in his first year and nearly score 30 is something special. Nyquist looked good as well the goals weren't flukes he's playing the game the right way. If he can get stronger and smarter then he can be a consistent 25 goal scorer. Not every elite team has a consistent 40-45 goal scorer

The guy has won at all levels. An NHL rookie playing for Sweden in the gold medal game. A big part of Calder cup win. 28 goals in his shortened rookie season. All in a matter of two years. This guy could be a special player in the league. If he was bigger everyone would be all over him and think he's going to be a superstar. I'll be happy with him continuing to prove ppl wrong and fly under the radar. Much like this Datsyuk fella