• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

TANK IT! 2014-2015 Season

Rate this topic

the only thing I would seriously tank is most of our D and a couple of fwds. If we want a retool, lets do it. Whoever we cannot trade, waive.

Gone: Franzen, Cleary, Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl and Howard. Weiss as well since he seems like he can't get a break. I know, there are NTC's, but this is just my retool. Replace them with kids and I bet the streak still remains intact. Those guys bring nothing to this team that our kids won't bring...except they will bring less enthusiasm than the kids.

I agree that most of these guys are under performing. I would hold onto Howard though and move Monster. I don't see a long term future for any of those players however. It is just too much to move them all in one year. If we moved on from Cleary, Quincey, Kindl this year and then Franzen and Ericsson the following year we would probably survive. But all at once would be suicide.

Guest Praying Mantha

This is all nonsense. Our team is good. Bruins and Ducks are 2 of best 5 teams in the league. And we are going toe to toe with them without 2 of our 5 highest paid players. We are going to be a good threat this year. Oddsmakers have us at 17-1.

This is all nonsense. Our team is good. Bruins and Ducks are 2 of best 5 teams in the league. And we are going toe to toe with them without 2 of our 5 highest paid players. We are going to be a good threat this year. Oddsmakers have us at 17-1.

a threat for what ? making the playoffs - yeah with Toronto, Ottawa and Philadelphia fighting for the last wildcard.

Stanley Cup ? nope

also other teams are without their best players also, sure they did well against two very good teams but it's still early Boston in october will not be the same one as in April...Chiarelli has to get this team back in a hurry losing Boychuk, Iginla and Thornton ---> ouch

There is a reason, why many experts think that this is the year where the streak ends and as long as the kids are showing their tremendous speed and enthusiasm I couldn't care less about the playoffs, especially in such a great draft.

Guest Praying Mantha

a threat for what ? making the playoffs - yeah with Toronto, Ottawa and Philadelphia fighting for the last wildcard.

Stanley Cup ? nope

also other teams are without their best players also, sure they did well against two very good teams but it's still early Boston in october will not be the same one as in April...Chiarelli has to get this team back in a hurry losing Boychuk, Iginla and Thornton ---> ouch

There is a reason, why many experts think that this is the year where the streak ends and as long as the kids are showing their tremendous speed and enthusiasm I couldn't care less about the playoffs, especially in such a great draft.

If we get the first 5 draft picks, we'd still be getting a year older in star power (Dats/Zata/Kronwall/Weiss). The time is now.

no honor in tanking

It's not about honor it's about longterm success, getting ahead of an already better competition. Whoever gets McEichel will have a franchise player for at least a decade and a half.

Getting rid of all of our top players for a kid who will "likely" be good is a horrible move. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure both will become stars, but plenty of sure things have been busts (Rick Dipietro, Pat Faloon Alexandre Daigle etc.). To get rid of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, E, Howard etc just for a chance to get one of those two is going into panic mode. Even if we did, I still think our kids are too good to finish as low as they would have two to get the 1st or second overall pick......that basically happened last year lol. As bad as you think this team is, we are not getting McEichel, we are not getting McDavid.

One player doesn't equal a cup either. Look at Edmonton with Hall, NYI with Tavares, Wsh with Ovi. Edmonton hasnt even made the playoffs, NYI did once, Washington hasnt gone past round 2. Not every "stud" turns into a Crosby/Pittsburgh situation.

I also want to add, I know you didn't specifically say you wanted to get rid on Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, Howard, etc. but that's what "tanking" would mean.

Exactly

It's not about honor it's about longterm success, getting ahead of an already better competition. Whoever gets McEichel will have a franchise player for at least a decade and a half.

This same strategy has worked out great for Edmonton

This same strategy has worked out great for Edmonton

Edmonton has had that mindset of outscoring over defense, evidenced by their picks. Hall great pick, Red meh, Eberle? Great character but they should have traded the Yakupov pick for defensive help.

Being bad without a long term strategy is not going to work, the Sabers have one and all be scary in a few years. Every team has to go through this at some point (including the Wings)

Guest Praying Mantha

Edmonton has had that mindset of outscoring over defense, evidenced by their picks. Hall great pick, Red meh, Eberle? Great character but they should have traded the Yakupov pick for defensive help. Being bad without a long term strategy is not going to work, the Sabers have one and all be scary in a few years. Every team has to go through this at some point (including the Wings)

The team that is going to be scary good in 2-3 years is Florida. Their defense is off the chart big, young, and fast. And they have a few offensive youngsters who are coming along nicely. Would not surprise me at all if they became a playoff team soon.

No tanking for the Detroit Red Wings. Let the season play itself out.

If we end up being as horrible as some of you think we're going to be:

Get some of the young d-men up, into the system, and showcase them on the ice.

Figure out which ones we want to stick with and develop.

Then, move up in the draft by packaging some defensive prospects.

...but even in the loosest of terms; in no way, shape, or form should this team "tank"

No tanking for the Detroit Red Wings. Let the season play itself out.

If we end up being as horrible as some of you think we're going to be:

Get some of the young d-men up, into the system, and showcase them on the ice.

Figure out which ones we want to stick with and develop.

Then, move up in the draft by packaging some defensive prospects.

...but even in the loosest of terms; in no way, shape, or form should this team "tank"

Outtanking the Hurricanes, Sabers and Panthers - even if teams tried - is a huge task this season. I hope the Sabers win it, because I want to see McEichel in a hockey market not somewhere, where nobody cares about hockey.

Guest Praying Mantha

Why tank? Team has 2 one goal losses and goalie looks like a goalie this year so far. I like our team :P

You kicking the tires? Ha

I love how this thread has been reactivated from the depths after 5 games, the Wings are 3-1-1 without their best player, have gone toe to toe with 2 of the best teams in the league, look incredibly energetic and speedy, and have a tremendous PK.

Whats not to like?

Screw the 'experts'. They're not the ones out there on the ice. And so far, I like what i've seen (outside of the first two periods of Wednesdays game, but even then we got a point out of it)

Edited by wings4thecup06

Guest Praying Mantha

I love how this thread has been reactivated from the depths after 5 games, the Wings are 3-1-1 without their best player, have gone toe to toe with 2 of the best teams in the league, look incredibly energetic and speedy, and have a tremendous PK.

Whats not to like?

Screw the 'experts'. They're not the ones out there on the ice. And so far, I like what i've seen (outside of the first two periods of Wednesdays game, but even then we got a point out of it)

Exactly. We are one blown call away from being undefeated thru 5 games against top half teams. Let's tank it.

Whats not to like?

I also love that Quincey has been a positive contribution to the teams success. Especially on the PK.

Guest Praying Mantha

Undefeated through regulation I think you mean. We did lose in a shootout.

Yes. I mean no zero point games. Sorry, Euro Twins. My bad.

Guest Praying Mantha

No harm no foul. We've played well and that's all I can ask. The wings seem to be putting more 60 minute efforts in this year so far then they did last year.

Yes. Seems better this year, right?