• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ShanahanMan

TANK IT! 2014-2015 Season

Rate this topic

We aren't Cup contenders right now. Signing Niskanen or Boyle wouldn't have changed that at all. They would've helped, but they wouldn't have put us over the top. So yes, I would love to still see us make the playoffs even if we do lose in the 1st round, but give me Pav on two legs...not just one, a healthy Z, and healthy Big E in that series and things might've been a little different. We might not have won but I don't think we would've lost 4-1. Not to mention our kids are getting valuable playoff experience. Sure as hell beats missing the playoffs all together. So what if we get a pick 3-4 picks lower than what we would've had? We aren't tanking. It's not going to happen. Pardon me if I have realistic expectations. :confused:

I couldn't disagree with that statement more and as long as a significant amount of fans think that way, nothing will change. Let's all look forward to another playoffs where we are embarrassed in the 1st round just so we can say, "24 years baby!"

Oh I'm not doubting that. I'm just saying I (and hopefully others) will go through next season wanting as many losses as possible to get a high pick and influence management changes.

When the team takes the ice, I root for them to win. In July I want them to tear the whole damn thing apart and build it from scratch.

When the team takes the ice, I root for them to win. In July I want them to tear the whole damn thing apart and build it from scratch.

And if we make the playoffs yet get touched in the 1st round (or even finish 9th or 10th), all you'll see is the same status-quo approach from Holland and head into the following season with the same roster, just a year older.

Rinse and repeat.

LOL As someone who was expecting big things this off-season and is HIGHLY disappointed... it's a SHAME to think some of you are so blinded by your hatred for KH that you don't think this team can compete.

NOBODY thought the Rangers would come out of the East- not with the Bruins, Penguins, Canadiens, or Red Wings in the playoffs.

But they did. Because they made a good move at the deadline, were healthy, and believed in themselves.

Do you all think that Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco, Smith, Tatar, and DeKeyser are ALL going to play WORSE than they did last year?? Let's say Nyquist regresses to a norm of 25-goals... with Zetterberg and Datsyuk back, that should be enough! If Weiss puts up even just 40 assists, this team is going to be better. The strides made between years one and two are usually very noticeable (ie. Brendan Smith, anyone?). And if you think all of the rookies are going to regress, why not have some faith that Kindl improves to his average after an awful season last year?

This isn't a bad team. This team should finish anywhere from 4th-10th in the conference. You don't initiate a firesale before the season's began if you know you have a fighting shot.

LOL As someone who was expecting big things this off-season and is HIGHLY disappointed... it's a SHAME to think some of you are so blinded by your hatred for KH that you don't think this team can compete.

NOBODY thought the Rangers would come out of the East- not with the Bruins, Penguins, Canadiens, or Red Wings in the playoffs.

But they did. Because they made a good move at the deadline, were healthy, and believed in themselves.

Do you all think that Nyquist, Sheahan, Jurco, Smith, Tatar, and DeKeyser are ALL going to play WORSE than they did last year?? Let's say Nyquist regresses to a norm of 25-goals... with Zetterberg and Datsyuk back, that should be enough! If Weiss puts up even just 40 assists, this team is going to be better. The strides made between years one and two are usually very noticeable (ie. Brendan Smith, anyone?). And if you think all of the rookies are going to regress, why not have some faith that Kindl improves to his average after an awful season last year?

This isn't a bad team. This team should finish anywhere from 4th-10th in the conference. You don't initiate a firesale before the season's began if you know you have a fighting shot.

But, but, but we're the Red Wings and if we're not going to win the cup we should be last because Connor McDavid.

I'm officially calling for a 2015 TANK job. I think we can all agree, there is absolutely NOTHING to amp us up and get excited about in the upcoming season. Literally, NOTHING.
Instead of praying for another 8th seed finishing of limping into the playoffs and getting decimated in the 1st round, I would much rather hope for an absolute tank and hopefully get a top 3 draft pick. Not only will this give us all something to get excited for, but it might also spark some much needed change in the organization's management.
Who's with me? #Tankit2014

You sir, are a grade A clown. Tank the season?? GTFO and go root for the Canucks or Flyers or someone.

You sir, are a grade A clown. Tank the season?? GTFO and go root for the Canucks or Flyers or someone.

How about you go buy Quincey and Cleary jerseys? Prove you're a true fan.

Edited by ShanahanMan

^ This.

We're not the Oilers, in fact we have something that's rare in this league and elsewhere anymore. Integrity. (and Datsyuk)

The Oilers have a better core of forwards than the Wings, so they should be able to compete, right?

I'm officially calling for a 2015 TANK job. I think we can all agree, there is absolutely NOTHING to amp us up and get excited about in the upcoming season. Literally, NOTHING.
Instead of praying for another 8th seed finishing of limping into the playoffs and getting decimated in the 1st round, I would much rather hope for an absolute tank and hopefully get a top 3 draft pick. Not only will this give us all something to get excited for, but it might also spark some much needed change in the organization's management.
Who's with me? #Tankit2014

Well, I've read some ridiculous hyberbole on here lately, but this one takes the biscuit.

Last year, with no Datsyuk, no Zetterberg and an out of form Howard we still made the playoffs. What do you think we could achieve with our 2 star players and our goalie back to 2013 form?

As for nothing to be excited about? Pavel Datsyuk excites me every time he steps onto the ice. Nyquist. Jurco. Tatar. Hanks beard excites me. MANTHA.

Go ask Oilers fans how Operation Tank is working for them, and how much they are looking forward to another season of it.

Edited by Nev

^ This.

We're not the Oilers, in fact we have something that's rare in this league and elsewhere anymore. Integrity. (and Datsyuk)

Give me a break. The only reason we even squeezed into the playoffs is because we were in a weak eastern conference. If we had been in the west, we would have been right down there with the Oilers (who are a much funner team to watch).

Why the hell wouldn't you want to make the playoffs? This isn't pre-lockout days where unless you had the hottest goalie in the history of the game did you even have a hope of causing an upset.

LA were the number 6 seed in the west this year. 2 years before that they were the number 8 seed. The Devils were the 6 seed that year vs the kings. In 09-10 the Flyers were the number 7 seed in the East and they made the Finals.

The point I'm making is, if you're roster is good enough to make the playoffs right now, why blow it up, because as we've seen, anything can happen. If you looked at the Rangers roster before the season began, and even after they traded for St Louis, would you still have picked them to beat Pittsburgh?

This team is good enough to make the playoffs. And if anyone thinks that making the playoffs even if only to play 5 games is less valuable for the young kids experience than missing them completely, then you want your head testing.

Last season, there were a few mistakes early that were costing us, and then the injury bug hit like Ive never seen. You cannot lose key players for extended periods like that an expect to keep competing, yet somehow we did. All of that experience is frankly, invaluable, such that when Pavel and hank come back healthy they'll be able to lead the way, and our kids last year will be able to provide depth and secondary scoring that every team needs to win.

There will be ups and downs, but this team is trending up. The fact that we didn't sign a big name free agent on 1 day of the year doesn't mean otherwise.

Give me a break. The only reason we even squeezed into the playoffs is because we were in a weak eastern conference. If we had been in the west, we would have been right down there with the Oilers (who are a much funner team to watch).

Funner is not a word. And I'll take making the playoffs over being more fun to watch any day.

Why the hell wouldn't you want to make the playoffs? This isn't pre-lockout days where unless you had the hottest goalie in the history of the game did you even have a hope of causing an upset.

LA were the number 6 seed in the west this year. 2 years before that they were the number 8 seed. The Devils were the 6 seed that year vs the kings. In 09-10 the Flyers were the number 7 seed in the East and they made the Finals.

The point I'm making is, if you're roster is good enough to make the playoffs right now, why blow it up, because as we've seen, anything can happen. If you looked at the Rangers roster before the season began, and even after they traded for St Louis, would you still have picked them to beat Pittsburgh?

This team is good enough to make the playoffs. And if anyone thinks that making the playoffs even if only to play 5 games is less valuable for the young kids experience than missing them completely, then you want your head testing.

Last season, there were a few mistakes early that were costing us, and then the injury bug hit like Ive never seen. You cannot lose key players for extended periods like that an expect to keep competing, yet somehow we did. All of that experience is frankly, invaluable, such that when Pavel and hank come back healthy they'll be able to lead the way, and our kids last year will be able to provide depth and secondary scoring that every team needs to win.

There will be ups and downs, but this team is trending up. The fact that we didn't sign a big name free agent on 1 day of the year doesn't mean otherwise.

This is bunk. Detroit is nothing like LA. LA is built to grind teams out over 7 games. Detroit is built to keep the DMC in business the next few years.

So considering the fact that the East got worse judging by yesterdays free agent standards, doesn't that improve the likelihood that we will make the playoffs again? Isn't that something worth getting behind? That your team actually succeeds?

Isn't that the entire reason we cheer for sports teams in the first place? Success?

And if we make the playoffs yet get touched in the 1st round (or even finish 9th or 10th), all you'll see is the same status-quo approach from Holland and head into the following season with the same roster, just a year older.

Rinse and repeat.

You realized that my rooting for wins, just like your rooting for losses, does not affect the outcome of games, right? I said I want a rebuild. We're on the same team, man.

This is bunk. Detroit is nothing like LA. LA is built to grind teams out over 7 games. Detroit is built to keep the DMC in business the next few years.

At no point did I compare the Wings to the LA Kings. The point I was making was that history has shown us recently that you don't have to be a top 3 seed to either make the finals or win the Cup.

You realized that my rooting for wins, just like your rooting for losses, does not affect the outcome of games, right? I said I want a rebuild. We're on the same team, man.

And I agree with you. I'm just hoping for the loses so that we can get that rebuild, thats all. A bordelrine season won't do it.

You realize that's a link to the word fun right?

Jesus Christ, do I have to screen shot part of the page for you?

adjective, fun·ner, fun·nest.

Informal. of or pertaining to fun, especially to social fun: a fun thing to do; really a fun person; thefunnest game.

Well, I've read some ridiculous hyberbole on here lately, but this one takes the biscuit.

Last year, with no Datsyuk, no Zetterberg and an out of form Howard we still made the playoffs. What do you think we could achieve with our 2 star players and our goalie back to 2013 form?

As for nothing to be excited about? Pavel Datsyuk excites me every time he steps onto the ice. Nyquist. Jurco. Tatar. Hanks beard excites me. MANTHA.

Go ask Oilers fans how Operation Tank is working for them, and how much they are looking forward to another season of it.

And what makes you think they will be in 2013 form? Dats and Hank haven't had a healthy season in 3 years, so it's better to assume they won't be, especially being a year older and Dats' knee being blown out, rather than assuming they will be in tip-top shape.

Nyquist and Mantha I agree with you on.

Furthermore, anyone who still clings to the fairy tale that LA came out of virtually nowhere to win the Cup two years ago is ignoring the fact that they're on the verge of a dynasty.

And I agree with you. I'm just hoping for the loses so that we can get that rebuild, thats all. A bordelrine season won't do it.

Jesus Christ, do I have to screen shot part of the page for you?

adjective, fun·ner, fun·nest.

Informal. of or pertaining to fun, especially to social fun: a fun thing to do; really a fun person; thefunnest game.

And what makes you think they will be in 2013 form? Dats and Hank haven't had a healthy season in 3 years, so it's better to assume they won't be, especially being a year older and Dats' knee being blown out, rather than assuming they will be in tip-top shape.

Nyquist and Mantha I agree with you on.

1. Hank had back surgery to repair a trapped nerve. If you've ever experience one of those, it's excruciating. It's a miracle he was even able to play half a season of hockey. And in the 2 games against the Bruins, he looked (IMO) better than he had all season. An off season of proper rest and training will do him a power of good.

2. At no point did anyone ever say, suggest, or imply, that Datsyuk's knee was 'blown out'. If it was, he would have had surgery by now. From the reports I heard, they said that he had sore ligaments, possibly a sprain if my memory serves me correctly. Both are completely different from it being blown out.

Furthermore, anyone who still clings to the fairy tale that LA came out of virtually nowhere to win the Cup two years ago is ignoring the fact that they're on the verge of a dynasty.

Again. You're missing the point. Even if you put LA to one side, there's still 3 teams in the last 4 years (Rangers in '14, Devils in '12, and Flyers in '10) who made the Finals without being anywhere close to a top seed.

Cinderella frauds occasionally make the Finals. They don't win. Cinderella teams also occasionally take a 3-1 lead on the eventual Stanley Cup champs only to be exposed in games 5, 6, and 7.

Don't be fooled by Cinderella. She's really a homely girl with a mop and bucket.

Edited by Internet.Unknown

Cinderella frauds occasionally make the Finals. They don't win. Cinderella teams also occasionally take a 3-1 lead on the eventual Stanley Cup champs only to be exposed in games 5, 6, and 7.

Don't be fooled by Cinderella. She's really a homely girl with a mop and bucket.

Favorite post of the day for both style and substance. +100 and the keys to the city for you.