• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Give me a break. The only reason we even squeezed into the playoffs is because we were in a weak eastern conference. If we had been in the west, we would have been right down there with the Oilers (who are a much funner team to watch).

So considering the fact that the East got worse judging by yesterdays free agent standards, doesn't that improve the likelihood that we will make the playoffs again? Isn't that something worth getting behind? That your team actually succeeds? 

Isn't that the entire reason we cheer for sports teams in the first place? Success? 

temp 1

#42 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

And if we make the playoffs yet get touched in the 1st round (or even finish 9th or 10th), all you'll see is the same status-quo approach from Holland and head into the following season with the same roster, just a year older. 

Rinse and repeat. 

You realized that my rooting for wins, just like your rooting for losses, does not affect the outcome of games, right? I said I want a rebuild. We're on the same team, man.

#43 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

This is bunk. Detroit is nothing like LA. LA is built to grind teams out over 7 games. Detroit is built to keep the DMC in business the next few years.

At no point did I compare the Wings to the LA Kings. The point I was making was that history has shown us recently that you don't have to be a top 3 seed to either make the finals or win the Cup.

temp 1

#44 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Funner is not a word. And I'll take making the playoffs over being more fun to watch any day.

http://dictionary.re...m/browse/funner

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#45 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

http://dictionary.re...m/browse/funner

You realize that's a link to the word fun right?

#46 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

You realized that my rooting for wins, just like your rooting for losses, does not affect the outcome of games, right? I said I want a rebuild. We're on the same team, man.

And I agree with you. I'm just hoping for the loses so that we can get that rebuild, thats all. A bordelrine season won't do it. 

You realize that's a link to the word fun right?

Jesus Christ, do I have to screen shot part of the page for you?

adjective, fun·ner, fun·nest.

Informal. of or pertaining to fun, especially to social fun: a fun thing to do; really a fun person; thefunnest game.

Well, I've read some ridiculous hyberbole on here lately, but this one takes the biscuit.

Last year, with no Datsyuk, no Zetterberg and an out of form Howard we still made the playoffs.  What do you think we could achieve with our 2 star players and our goalie back to 2013 form?

As for nothing to be excited about?  Pavel Datsyuk excites me every time he steps onto the ice.  Nyquist.  Jurco.  Tatar.  Hanks beard excites me.  MANTHA.

Go ask Oilers fans how Operation Tank is working for them, and how much they are looking forward to another season of it.

And what makes you think they will be in 2013 form? Dats and Hank haven't had a healthy season in 3 years, so it's better to assume they won't be, especially being a year older and Dats' knee being blown out, rather than assuming they will be in tip-top shape. 

Nyquist and Mantha I agree with you on. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#47 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

This is bunk. Detroit is nothing like LA. LA is built to grind teams out over 7 games. Detroit is built to keep the DMC in business the next few years.

Furthermore, anyone who still clings to the fairy tale that LA came out of virtually nowhere to win the Cup two years ago is ignoring the fact that they're on the verge of a dynasty.

#48 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

And I agree with you. I'm just hoping for the loses so that we can get that rebuild, thats all. A bordelrine season won't do it. 

Jesus Christ, do I have to screen shot part of the page for you?

adjective, fun·ner, fun·nest.

Informal. of or pertaining to fun, especially to social fun: a fun thing to do; really a fun person; thefunnest game.

And what makes you think they will be in 2013 form? Dats and Hank haven't had a healthy season in 3 years, so it's better to assume they won't be, especially being a year older and Dats' knee being blown out, rather than assuming they will be in tip-top shape. 

Nyquist and Mantha I agree with you on. 

1. Hank had back surgery to repair a trapped nerve. If you've ever experience one of those, it's excruciating. It's a miracle he was even able to play half a season of hockey. And in the 2 games against the Bruins, he looked (IMO) better than he had all season. An off season of proper rest and training will do him a power of good.

2. At no point did anyone ever say, suggest, or imply, that Datsyuk's knee was 'blown out'. If it was, he would have had surgery by now. From the reports I heard, they said that he had sore ligaments, possibly a sprain if my memory serves me correctly. Both are completely different from it being blown out.

Furthermore, anyone who still clings to the fairy tale that LA came out of virtually nowhere to win the Cup two years ago is ignoring the fact that they're on the verge of a dynasty.

Again. You're missing the point. Even if you put LA to one side, there's still 3 teams in the last 4 years (Rangers in '14, Devils in '12, and Flyers in '10) who made the Finals without being anywhere close to a top seed.

temp 1

#49 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Cinderella frauds occasionally make the Finals. They don't win. Cinderella teams also occasionally take a 3-1 lead on the eventual Stanley Cup champs only to be exposed in games 5, 6, and 7.

Don't be fooled by Cinderella. She's really a homely girl with a mop and bucket.

Edited by Internet.Unknown, 02 July 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#50 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Cinderella frauds occasionally make the Finals. They don't win. Cinderella teams also occasionally take a 3-1 lead on the eventual Stanley Cup champs only to be exposed in games 5, 6, and 7.

Don't be fooled by Cinderella. She's really a homely girl with a mop and bucket.

Favorite post of the day for both style and substance.  +100 and the keys to the city for you.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#51 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

A lot of people that think the wings will fight to get in to the playoffs seem to forget that other than Boston, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and somewhat Florida the rest of the teams in the east were fighting for 6 playoff spots when the Olympics were over. Add in the fact that the wing were 2/3 of the Griffins during that time and they lost, if I remember correctly, 8-12 shoot outs. If they win those shoot outs all of a sudden the wings are playing Tampa bay in the first round and there is no talk of the wings getting bounced in the first round, second round probly but there are 22 teams that would have loved to made it that far, including Detroit.

#52 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

And if we make the playoffs yet get touched in the 1st round (or even finish 9th or 10th), all you'll see is the same status-quo approach from Holland and head into the following season with the same roster, just a year older. 

Rinse and repeat. 

Except it's not going to be the same roster per say. Yes mostly the same on paper, but we ended the season without Big E, Weiss, Hank and 1/2 of Pav. 

We started the season without Sheahan, Jurco, Nyquist, Glendening and Helm. The team we ended up with "on paper" of...

Z-D-Aflie

Goose-Weiss-Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Abby-Helm-Glendening/Miller

Kronwall-Smith

Big E-Dekeyser

Quincey-Ouellet/Kindl/Lashoff

Barely even played together as a unit at the same time! So even though we didn't go out and overpay for a bunch of unproven or old guys we will still see change. 

#53 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

While all this may be true, I'd still rather be Cinderella than an ugly stepsister. :(

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#54 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

How about you go buy Quincey and Cleary jerseys? Prove you're a true fan.

I hate Quincey and I hate Cleary even more. But to even consider "tanking" a season is beyond ridiculous. Especially a team like ours that makes the playoffs every year. I don't care how close it was, we continue to make the playoffs despite all the misfortunes thrown our way. And we actually played Boston pretty well for the most part in that series. Chara said it best when he said that it might have been a 5 game series but it sure didn't feel like one. Multiple OT games in that series. I wouldn't even consider tanking if we were a 12-15 seed. A legendary franchise like the Red Wings never say die and would never throw all integrity out the window and tank a season. So please, just go root for another team.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#55 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 766 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Clearys jersey may be worth a lot some day. He has a chance to become a legendary Red Wing. I hope Holland signs him long term. (Sarcasm)

#56 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Favorite post of the day for both style and substance.  +100 and the keys to the city for you.

Keys to the City of Detroit? Hmm, interesting concept...

#57 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Wow, I'm honored. Kip and Fat Guy Maltby both like my post. :)

While all this may be true, I'd still rather be Cinderella than an ugly stepsister. :(

You could never be an ugly stepsister, BoS. :D

#58 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Tank it would mean trading Datsyuk. This roster can finish a 5th seed as is

#59 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm really excited about our forward group I'd almost agree with the OP. 

But having Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and possibly Jurco on the team from day 1?? Super exciting compared to our opening night lineup last season. Add to that a hopefully healthy Weiss, possibly hungry to prove himself, and the fact that Z and Pavel are always amazing to watch when they're healthy. They should also be playing together. 

Of course, the defense puts a damper on things. I hope and pray Holland is not done. At the very least Kindl or Lashoff should be moved out to make room for Ouellet or Marchenko. Otherwise the one thing to look forward to is the continued development of Dekeyser and Smith. 

I'm as disappointed as most with how yesterday went, but overall I actually do LIKE our team. What I wanted this offseason was at least 1 new d-man, but that's about it. We didn't get it (yet), but I could live with that. Maybe there will be some options at the trade deadline. Maybe injuries will open up a spot for a kid and that kid will have a Nyquist/Sheahan/Jurco impact. Every season is full of possibilities, even if Holland has so far done a really poor job of building excitement for this upcoming one. 

#60 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

If tanking would mean we have a 100 % chance at MacDavid or Eichel, then yes but I don't think we are going to outtank the Sabres, Islanders, Flames - that team will be so damn funny to watch :( - or Oilers.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..