• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

I feel bad saying this, but I don't just don't the gameplan is getting a cup next year. They're going to do retool till holland retires

You can't honestly believe that.

11-12 Roster.

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
Holmstrom - Gone
Bertuzzi - Gone
Cleary - Gone/could be in GR
Filppula - Gone
Hudler - Gone
Helm
Miller
Abdelkader
Emmerton - Gone
Mursak - Gone

Lidstrom - Gone
Kronwall
White - Gone
Stuart - Gone
Kindl
Ericsson

These are guys that played 20 or more games for us.

9 guys still on the starting roster that we're here 3 years ago. Average age of guys that are gone = 33.5

Current probable starting roster (Assuming we sign no more guys)

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
Weiss - New
Nyquist - New
Jurco - New
Tatar - New
Sheahan - New
Glendening - New
Andersson - New
Miller
Abdelkader
Helm

Kronwall
Ericsson
Dekeyser - New
Quincey - New
Kindl
Lashoff - New
Smith - New

Average age of guys that replaced to old guys = 24.6. A little under 9 years younger than the guys that left and gets younger if we move Kindl and bring up Ouellet or Marchenko.

We're not retooling. We're rebuilding and transferring to a younger core without selling our current core so we're still competitive. Rebuilds don't happen overnight and they're not always 100 successful anyways. Why can't people see that we're an extremely successful team for one that's rebuilding. Would a couple high picks help? Of course. Would trading stars for picks help? Of course. But what other team has rebuilt while remaining competitive? Not many. We're doing it. Be thankful we're not the Oilers.

#62 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Kip, I don't think anyone is saying that there was absolutely nothing Kenny could have done since losing Rafalski, Lidstrom and co. or that we agree with every single personnel decision that he has made in the past few seasons. Obviously there have been plenty to scratch your head about. But there have also been plenty of players that have signed elsewhere that we really didn't have any chance with, without giving up way too much in assets or salary cap. If a player has his mind set where he wants to go, like DeKeyser for us, there isn't much else you can do other than crazily over pay, and even that isn't going to guarantee they come here...

You can't argue that some pretty good players have been going to other teams for reasons other than having a better chance at competing for the Stanley Cup as of late. Do you really think any of the players that signed elsewhere, other than maybe Ehrhoff, Richards and Heatley (there were a lot of people that didn't even want these players anyway) believe that any of these teams they signed with have a significantly better chance at competing than the Red Wings? Does anyone believe that Washington, Tampa, New York, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota or Nashville, were significantly better than us, prior to the signings? Or even after their big signings for that matter?... I certainly don't.

I think Holland is doing a great job managing this team, and keeping them afloat while building on the fly. To go through two successful rebuilds in both pre and post salary cap, without missing the playoffs once in over two decades would be pretty damn amazing wouldn't it?

Sure, I would have loved to have a shiny, new piece to the puzzle on July 1st, who wouldn't? But I'm quite content waiting another year and see what these kids can do.

#63 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

You can't honestly believe that.

11-12 Roster.

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
Holmstrom - Gone
Bertuzzi - Gone
Cleary - Gone/could be in GR
Filppula - Gone
Hudler - Gone
Helm
Miller
Abdelkader
Emmerton - Gone
Mursak - Gone

Lidstrom - Gone
Kronwall
White - Gone
Stuart - Gone
Kindl
Ericsson

These are guys that played 20 or more games for us.

9 guys still on the starting roster that we're here 3 years ago. Average age of guys that are gone = 33.5

Current probable starting roster (Assuming we sign no more guys)

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
Weiss - New
Nyquist - New
Jurco - New
Tatar - New
Sheahan - New
Glendening - New
Andersson - New
Miller
Abdelkader
Helm

Kronwall
Ericsson
Dekeyser - New
Quincey - New
Kindl
Lashoff - New
Smith - New

Average age of guys that replaced to old guys = 24.6. A little under 9 years younger than the guys that left and gets younger if we move Kindl and bring up Ouellet or Marchenko.

We're not retooling. We're rebuilding and transferring to a younger core without selling our current core so we're still competitive. Rebuilds don't happen overnight and they're not always 100 successful anyways. Why can't people see that we're an extremely successful team for one that's rebuilding. Would a couple high picks help? Of course. Would trading stars for picks help? Of course. But what other team has rebuilt while remaining competitive? Not many. We're doing it. Be thankful we're not the Oilers.

To Edmonton: Dats, Z
To Detroit: Yakupov, Baertschi

Git er did Kenneth

#64 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Damn it! Baertschi is in Calgary not Edmonton, otherwise that deal would have been all but done...

#65 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Damn it! Baertschi is in Calgary not Edmonton, otherwise that deal would have been all but done...

Oh yeah, just nitpick my wholeeeeeee argument.