Photo
- - - - -

Hockey News: Red Wings D hunting

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Buffalo’s Tyler Myers, Winnipeg’s Dustin Byfuglien and Edmonton’s Jeff Petry are discussed along with others. We also learn that the Iginla signing elsewhere lessens the need to move Boychuk.

http://www.thehockey...th-maple-leafs/

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#2 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

Tyler Myers can go right out the window. They want a ridiculous amount for him (heard 4 starters and a high round pick) and honestly he's not that good. He's just tall.

Byfuglien is an interesting option. He fills a lot of holes on our backend (size, toughness, and a righty). Seems like a better trade partner than BUF who is in our division. 

Don't know much about Petry. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Shoot-outs & Franzen

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#3 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

Tyler Myers can go right out the window. They want a ridiculous amount for him (heard 4 starters and a high round pick) and honestly he's not that good. He's just tall.

Byfuglien is an interesting option. He fills a lot of holes on our backend (size, toughness, and a righty). Seems like a better trade partner than BUF who is in our division. 

I don't want to imagine Big Buff filling any holes on my backend.  Immature and sleep deprived is not a good combination.  

#4 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

I don't want to imagine Big Buff filling any holes on my backend.  Immature and sleep deprived is not a good combination.  

What? All I'm saying is that we have a lot of pressure back there sometimes and he can be the one to relieve it. Sure, there might be some boil-over from the other D-man he's playing with, but they just need to bear down, keep it loose, and be prepared to go long and deep.... into the post-season. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Shoot-outs & Franzen

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#5 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Let's not get our hopes up, we're just kicking tires.

Would love to have Byfuglien though.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#6 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

What? All I'm saying is that we have a lot of pressure back there sometimes and he can be the one to relieve it. Sure, there might be some boil-over from the other D-man he's playing with, but they just need to bear down, keep it loose, and be prepared to go long and deep.... into the post-season. 

76895-grandpa-simpson.gif

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#7 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

No to Myers...Petry is intriguing

#8 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

If we could get Petry for Kindl, Jensen, 2nd sign me up. Not sure what it would take to get him though.

#9 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

I'd trade Helm as that young center to Edmonton before Sheahan.

no to trading Sheahan, Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar...i am sure Helm would be fine as compensation for any of those D mentioned. As the main ingredient in a package that is.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Byuflin would make this offseason disaster complete, fat, overweight coachkiller with a questionable dedication to the game...rather sign no one than trading for him or a guy like Green. Oilers are trying hard to fix their own d why should they trade Petry?

Edited by frankgrimes, 03 July 2014 - 10:37 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

I think there's been some confusion about the asking price for Myers. Someone, might've been Helene, tweeted the asking price as something like Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco and some people flipped out because they took / to mean +. My guess is it'd be your typical [good roster player] + [good prospect] + [high pick].

Byfuglien would absolutely fill a hole or two or several on our back end. He shoots right, he's a beast on the power play, he's built like a truck, he hits like a truck, and he can generate offense. And if he doesn't work, put him on Datsyuk's wing. Having said all that, I imagine the price would be fairly steep. While every old angry white guy in Winnipeg hates "Big Buff," they all know he's an important part of their team and moving him only makes sense if they're getting something pretty damn good in return.

Byuflin would make this offseason disaster complete, fat, overweight coachkiller with a questionable dedication to the game...rather sign no one than trading for him or a guy like Green. Oilers are trying hard to fix their own d why should they trade Petry?

You don't know what you're talking about, frank.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Big buff is getting moved to forward if he stays where he is at...so ya how does he help our defense when a team that's actually worse then us wants him at forward?

#13 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I for one would love big buff on my back end... Wait...

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

What's the story with Byfuglien? He seems absolutely perfect, but there isn't a mad rush to get him, and he wasn't tops on our list of targets. He was great for Chicago a few years ago. Has he dropped off? Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 ash11

ash11

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

I would love buff Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

I'd trade Helm as that young center to Edmonton before Sheahan.

no to trading Sheahan, Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar...i am sure Helm would be fine as compensation for any of those D mentioned. As the main ingredient in a package that is.

...Helm?

I'm actually getting nervous as to why Tatar isn't signed by now...

Edited by 13dangledangle, 04 July 2014 - 12:11 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#17 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

There's no need to work on the defense, we already signed a huge free agent.

Way to go Kenny, by the way. Go ahead and sign another one.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#18 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Volchenkov and Franson, ?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#19 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

Wasn't Byfuglien a forward in Chicago that was converted to D because he preferred playing that position? Kind of like Feds in reverse. I wouldn't mind him on the Wings if the price was right.

#20 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,196 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Big buff is getting moved to forward if he stays where he is at...so ya how does he help our defense when a team that's actually worse then us wants him at forward?

http://www.arcticice...ustin-byfuglien

BuffDvF.jpg

The y-axis is given to show the typical 40-60 sustainable Corsi% spread seen for NHL calibre players. The x-axis is number of games played.

This speaks volumes. In the long run, the Jets will be outscored more for minutes with Byfuglien on as a forward than a defenseman. In fact, with better goaltending, Jets would likely significantly outscore their opposition. This past season we saw saw Byfuglien with severe negative numbers in both situations.

However, what is best for Byfuglien, does not mean best for the team. There is no doubt Byfuglien is a better defenseman than forward -thus far-, but the opportunity costs may differ. This is dependent on Byfuglien's abilities and the Jets depth in the position he is not playing. In other words, the difference between Buff the defenseman and Jacob Trouba being smaller than the difference between Buff the forward and let's say Matt Halischuk may over power the difference of Buff the defenseman and Buff the forward.

Don't Toews me, bro!