• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

NHL Trivia: 2000+ PIM Club

Rate this topic

I got 32/55.

I didn't think Pat Verbeek was that high on the list. Totally forgot Kelly Chase, Al Secord, Mike Foligno, and Ronnie Stern. It would've taken me a long time to think of Phil Russell and Steve Smith. Also, I thought for sure that Ian Laperriere had 2,000 penalty minutes.

Fun quiz, even though I didn't do as well as I wanted.

I got 32/55.

I didn't think Pat Verbeek was that high on the list. Totally forgot Kelly Chase, Al Secord, Mike Foligno, and Ronnie Stern. It would've taken me a long time to think of Phil Russell and Steve Smith. Also, I thought for sure that Ian Laperriere had 2,000 penalty minutes.

Fun quiz, even though I didn't do as well as I wanted.

Yeah, there's a lot of top fighters that never came close to 2,000 PIMS. Yet, a guy like Chelios is way up there, even though he wasn't a fighter.

Also, most of the players on the list played around the same period. Not too many old school tough guys. Back in the 60's and 70's, people didn't rank up PIM like they did in the 80's and 90's.

Verbeek is a guy you can easily forget both on this quiz and on the 500+ goals club. He was just one of those guys that racked up huge numbers, but won't be as remembered in the future.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Yeah, there's a lot of top fighters that never came close to 2,000 PIMS. Yet, a guy like Chelios is way up there, even though he wasn't a fighter.

Also, most of the players on the list played around the same period. Not too many old school tough guys. Back in the 60's and 70's, people didn't rank up PIM like they did in the 80's and 90's.

Verbeek is a guy you can easily forget both on this quiz and on the 500+ goals club. He was just one of those guys that racket up huge numbers, but won't be as remembered in the future.

A lot of the tough guys from the 90's didn't hit 2,000. Tony Twist, Peter Worrell, Paul Laus, Sandy McCarthy, etc are examples.

Who will be the next to reach 2,000 penalty minutes?

A lot of the tough guys from the 90's didn't hit 2,000. Tony Twist, Peter Worrell, Paul Laus, Sandy McCarthy, etc are examples.

Who will be the next to reach 2,000 penalty minutes?

Yeah, it's surprising. Twist didn't fight as much as other enforcers, but those other three players you mentioned, you'd think would have 2,000 PIM.

Whoever does it next will probably be the last. Guys don't rack up PIM now like they used to. And it's not even related to fighting. As I said, a lot of non-fighters have racked up huge penalty numbers in NHL history. The league just cuts down more on physical play and suspensions are getting out of hand.

Wow. I got three right away, and then started typing in names and still only got three more. It didn't help that I misspelled Shanny. I must have typoed it without realizing it and didn't correct it. That would have brought me up to seven right.

I have to admit though, I was going for fighters. Fun quiz. Thanks for posting it.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm really bad at Quiz Brain Freeze. I can think a lot better when the clock isn't ticking.

Edited by 55fan

Yeah, it's surprising. Twist didn't fight as much as other enforcers, but those other three players you mentioned, you'd think would have 2,000 PIM.

Whoever does it next will probably be the last. Guys don't rack up PIM now like they used to. And it's not even related to fighting. As I said, a lot of non-fighters have racked up huge penalty numbers in NHL history. The league just cuts down more on physical play and suspensions are getting out of hand.

Agreed on all fronts.

When he first broke into the league with Phoenix, I thought Dan Carcillo had serious potential to hit 2,000 penalty minutes in his career. He was still a wrecking ball in Philadelphia, but began to pick his spots a lot. He only fought like 5 times last year.

Wow. I got three right away, and then started typing in names and still only got three more. It didn't help that I misspelled Shanny. I must have typoed it without realizing it and didn't correct it. That would have brought me up to seven right.

I have to admit though, I was going for fighters. Fun quiz. Thanks for posting it.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm really bad at Quiz Brain Freeze. I can think a lot better when the clock isn't ticking.

They're just for fun. Not that many people seem to care, so I'll probably only post one or two more. Maybe do a few easy ones for more participation. There's one comprehensive quiz that I really want to post, but it's kind of hard.

Maybe if there was a Wings only quiz, but that would probably be too easy.

Agreed on all fronts.

When he first broke into the league with Phoenix, I thought Dan Carcillo had serious potential to hit 2,000 penalty minutes in his career. He was still a wrecking ball in Philadelphia, but began to pick his spots a lot. He only fought like 5 times last year.

I remember typing Avery's name in several times. I figured he'd be close, but then realized that he didn't play long enough.

I will say, though, maybe somewhat arrogantly, that any fight fan should get all the 3,000+ PIM guys right. That's a truly exclusive club.

Oh, I should also mention, Dave Manson is one of the first names I thought of for some reason. Probably because he was so crazy and unpredictable.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Some of the quizzes were real brain-scratchers. I was good with players back to the early 80's, but before that it's foggy. It helps on those quizzes to remember how awesome Mike Bossy, Montreal Canadiens, Rocket Richard, etc... were as they are answers on most of the all-time lists. Use it as cliff-notes if you need ;)

Some of the quizzes were real brain-scratchers. I was good with players back to the early 80's, but before that it's foggy. It helps on those quizzes to remember how awesome Mike Bossy, Montreal Canadiens, Rocket Richard, etc... were as they are answers on most of the all-time lists. Use it as cliff-notes if you need ;)

Yeah, for some of those quizzes, I love it when I type Gretzky's name in, and like 10 boxes get filled in automatically. :lol:

I remember typing Avery's name in several times. I figured he'd be close, but then realized that he didn't play long enough.

I will say, though, maybe somewhat arrogantly, that any fight fan should get all the 3,000+ PIM guys right. That's a truly exclusive club.

Oh, I should also mention, Dave Manson is one of the first names I thought of for some reason. Probably because he was so crazy and unpredictable.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure less than 10 players have accumulated 3,000 penalty minutes.

Well, they didn't call him Charlie for nothing :-P

I'm looking forward to Chris Neil continuing to climb up the all-time penalty minute leader list. Over 2,200 PIM and counting.