• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings4Life19

What's best for Mantha?

Rate this topic

Good point about Babcock...until he is gone, this team is stuck in a rut. Legwand waived his NTC because he wanted to play here, but after what Babcock did to him, he bolted. Babcock is the issue why no good UFA wants to come here...and its no secret why Canada is going in a different direction for their Olympic team next time.

The back to back Gold medals is a big underachievement.

I didn't say it was an underachievement...but because of those back to back, you would think that Canada would stay with the format. Yet, they are changing it. Its no secret players do not like playing for Mike Babcock. Maybe because he is a prick? Sure, you say Scotty was a prick and players didn't like playing for him, but players from 15 years ago and a different breed than todays players. Plus, Bowman is Bowman and Babcock is not. He is the issue here. Maybe its just time for a change because players just don't respond to him anymore, I don't know. But its sad when even Swedish defensemen are shunning the chance to come to Detroit.

Good point about Babcock...until he is gone, this team is stuck in a rut. Legwand waived his NTC because he wanted to play here, but after what Babcock did to him, he bolted. Babcock is the issue why no good UFA wants to come here...and its no secret why Canada is going in a different direction for their Olympic team next time.

Ya those gold medals he won were awful. And legwand bolted because of babs and not because Holland didn't want to re sign him right?

I got a bridge to sell if you're interested

Euro...please see the post above yours...I am not bashing Canada in anyway or discrediting the Gold's....

What is with people being so combative today? Sheesh! Babcock is the issue and Holland plays along. If this is not the issue, then why are UFA's shunning us when they never used to? Simple answer, Holland offers less money and players don't like Babcock. If Babcock was such a super great coach and all players he won Gold with admire and long to play for him, then why are the ones that were UFA's the 8 years knocking on the door to get here?

...and yes, I would take that bridge! I could double the fee and make a little extra money!

Or maybe... just maybe it has something to do with us being in a transition period...

Maybe a player choosing to go to another team over the Detroit Red Wings has a little more to do with the terrible general manager and the unbearable head coach...

krs.....it was Stralman...he was asked is he considered playing in Detroit and he abruptly answered "No." Now, I am not saying ALL Swedes love Detroit. The joke was, it's pretty bad when even Swedish defensemen are snubbing Detroit.

for some reason I cannot cut and paste on here, so I cannot post the link to the tweet, but it happened.

KRS, did you just make my point for me? Thanks! That is what I mean, crappy GM and coach crappy to play for...

:lol: and yes, back to Mantha. Like I said before, he is not going to make the team to play in the bottom 6, so he either earns that top 6 winger spot or goes to GR. I say give it to him and let him develop here. We have the roster spot, he is going to play with two of the best players in the NHL and if he slumps, let him fight through it. He is the future...

Edited by LeftWinger

I didn't see anything like that from Stralman, if anyone else has a link, care to share...

Either way, Stralman was probably the most overpaid UFA on July 1st, so good for him and good for us.

I was being extremely sarcastic... Top 5 GM in the league, and top 5 coach in the league equals terrrrible - LeftWinger

Edited by krsmith17

Euro...please see the post above yours...I am not bashing Canada in anyway or discrediting the Gold's....

What is with people being so combative today? Sheesh! Babcock is the issue and Holland plays along. If this is not the issue, then why are UFA's shunning us when they never used to? Simple answer, Holland offers less money and players don't like Babcock. If Babcock was such a super great coach and all players he won Gold with admire and long to play for him, then why are the ones that were UFA's the 8 years knocking on the door to get here?

...and yes, I would take that bridge! I could double the fee and make a little extra money!

You can't be serious....

You take extremely hard-lined stances on the most ridiculous, knee-jerk (doing my best to use polite words) opinions and then get all surprised and defensive when everybody (but Richdg or Degra55) disagrees with you.

It's like clockwork around here...

I didn't say it was an underachievement...but because of those back to back, you would think that Canada would stay with the format. Yet, they are changing it. Its no secret players do not like playing for Mike Babcock. Maybe because he is a prick? Sure, you say Scotty was a prick and players didn't like playing for him, but players from 15 years ago and a different breed than todays players. Plus, Bowman is Bowman and Babcock is not. He is the issue here. Maybe its just time for a change because players just don't respond to him anymore, I don't know. But its sad when even Swedish defensemen are shunning the chance to come to Detroit.

What team were you watching last season? The players worked their asses off for Babcock.

People continue to blame Babs for UFA's not coming here. We missed out on Suter because he buddied with Parise. At one point Suter to Detroit seemed all but a done deal. Boyle went to the rags. At his age, why not sign with a team that just made the finals? Niskanen joined his buddy Orpik in Washington. Last year Holland got the two guys he wanted. They didn't seem to concerned about Babcock. People love a scapegoat. The first Babcock-less season the Red Wings have, a lot of people are gonna realize how wrong they are about him.

Babcock will be a great coach for Mantha. A player that size with the work ethic Babcock commands will be a great thing to see.

Edited by marcaractac

Just because I take hard line stances, doesn't mean I am combative with people...anyhow, I love when people disagree with me, but not when they just go "you're stupid" or "you don't know anything about hockey"

anyhow, I've been here for a VERY long time and contribute a TON of stuff, so I am not worried about someone disagreeing with me. If everyone agreed with each other this would be a pretty boring forum.

Here is your link on Stralman saying no to Detroit:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/76519-2014-offseason-league-signings-and-trades/?view=findpost&p=2528074

Just because I take hard line stances, doesn't mean I am combative with people...anyhow, I love when people disagree with me, but not when they just go "you're stupid" or "you don't know anything about hockey"

anyhow, I've been here for a VERY long time and contribute a TON of stuff, so I am not worried about someone disagreeing with me. If everyone agreed with each other this would be a pretty boring forum.

Here is your link on Stralman saying no to Detroit:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/76519-2014-offseason-league-signings-and-trades/?view=findpost&p=2528074

I'm not questioning your status/role on this site. Many of us have been here just as long... That doesn't make our opinion any more or less valid. We're still just one voice.

My point was that you can't really be THAT surprised that people take issue/offense to some of the things you say. Especially when you are so confident in your stance despite the fact that it can be quite outlandish to many.

Anyways....I think Mantha would benefit most with some minor-league seasoning. Same with AA. Between those two and Pulkkinen we've got a nice diverse trio of forwards to choose from.

Ok, I get ya Son! Like I said, it we all agreed it would be pretty boring here!

I do think Mantha will win a spot in the top 6, due to our lack of having a REAL top 6 cast of players. But I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in GR because that is what Holland does...although he did a starting job in Detroit to Brunner, so we may get to see him in Detroit...

I think a half season in the AHL, and then bringing him up after the All-Star game to give him a 5-10 game look is the best option. If he looks like he fits, keep him up, if he's having a hard time, back to the minors to rip it up and rinse and repeat again in the fall. If FA's won't come here, and Holland won't make trades, we're gonna have to build a contender in house for a while. We've got a lot of good young players, some probably ready now (Marchenko, Ouellet, Callahan, Ferraro) some maybe need more seasoning (Mantha, Sproul, Backman, Pulkkinen)

This is a link to the puck daddy article for the 2012 nhlpa player poll, unfortunately it does not appear to be on the cbc's website any longer.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhlpa-2012-players-poll-analysis-bad-news-canucks-183449176.html

Detroit ranks second as the team players would most like to play for and if my memory is correct Babs was in the top 3 for coaches that players wanted to play for. Everyone is overreacting to us not getting every free agent we want. As marcaractac laid out there's often good reasons people sign elsewhere.

Edit: Apparently I don't know how to work the internet sometimes, here's a link to the player poll (Babcock is 4th btw)

http://www.playerspoll.ca/

Edited by nosyt612

This is a link to the puck daddy article for the 2012 nhlpa player poll, unfortunately it does not appear to be on the cbc's website any longer.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhlpa-2012-players-poll-analysis-bad-news-canucks-183449176.html

Detroit ranks second as the team players would most like to play for and if my memory is correct Babs was in the top 3 for coaches that players wanted to play for. Everyone is overreacting to us not getting every free agent we want. As marcaractac laid out there's often good reasons people sign elsewhere.

Yea I read an article that Boyle signed with NY not because he didn't like the other teams that were after him but because he truly wanted to play in NY. Niskanen wanted to play with Orpik in Wash. Robidas said he chose Toronto because he has family in Toronto. Stralman would have signed here but asked for us to add on one more year and Holland said no.

So I think it was just odd circumstances that people didn't sign here and not this huge conspiracy that people don't want to play for the Wings or Babcock.

But anyway back to Mantha. The longer we keep him in Grand Rapids the better chance he has of stepping into the NHL and being an impact player right away.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

I think a lot of the Wings success with prospects has to do with the fact that we let them build up a solid foundation as a professional in the minors. When young players know they don't have to try very hard to make their pro club, they have a tendency to get lazy, and not progress as they should. When they know they have to work their a** off to have a shot at displacing a veteran player at their position, regardless of their youth or potential, it drives them to become better players in the long run. I totally agree that the longer he can legitimately stay in GR, the better he will be when he does finally join the Wings. I wouldn't want to see him make the NHL roster unless he's going to contribute a considerable amount on a top 2 line. The other thing to consider is, while he might fit well with Dats and Hank, would that help or hinder his development? Abdelkader looked good alongside Datsyuk, so I would hate to put Mantha next to him, see Mantha put up 20-30 goals for the next two seasons, and then when Datsyuk retires, Mantha gets exposed.

Babcock is far from being the problem, the guy had been given a mediocre roster at best and yet coached them into the plaoffs 2 season in a row. I think the reception around the league is "very hard but fair" and that's exactly what you want from your coach. A coach isn't someone who can/should let his personal feelings disrupt his ability to ice the best roster he can with the given material.

Babcock got a bunch of superstars to play a team first game for him and absolutely crushed the olympics. Guy is by far the best coach in hockey and there is a reason why a guy like Super Mario is only offering a one year coaching contract (2 year payment).. Once Babcock is gone, people will start to realize how fortunate he were with him.