• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I think it is VERY unlikely Mantha makes the big club straight out of training camp. I would also be very surprised if he plays more than half a dozen games with the Wings this season. I hope he lights the AHL on fire, with 90+ points in 70 games but I don't see it. Even with all the size and skill he possesses, I see him struggling for the first month or so and finishing the season with a moderate 60 points in 70 games. Still not bad for a first year pro, but I think a lot of people are setting the bar too high for this guy before he even gets a glimpse of pro hockey. But of course, I hope he blows my expectations out of the water. :P

#42 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think it should completely depend on how Mantha looks in the preseason.  If he proves he belongs in our top 6, put him there.  If he doesn't, don't.  There is a hole in the roster in the top 6.  Abdelkader isn't a top 6 forward, Alfredsson isn't signed as of now... so there's a spot available.  I think if he shows he truly belongs here but still gets sent down to open the season, that could be just as damaging to his confidence as keeping him here and having him struggle a bit.

#43 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Mantha (if he wins it, we don't have a legit top 6, so it's open to take!)

Nyquist - Weiss - Alfredsson (I know this is Frazen's spot, but if Alfie re-signs, I prefer him here.)

...dang, we got too many forwards...what do we do with Miller/Abby/Glendening/Andersson/Helm? Not to mention Callahan and Ferraro...sheesh, no wonder we weren't really looking at UFA forward.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#44 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

What's best for Mantha?

The Calder.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#45 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,057 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

If Dan Daniel Danny Cleary returns and Anthony Mantha starts the season in GR, the whole world can go get bent.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#46 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

If Dan Daniel Danny Cleary returns and Anthony Mantha starts the season in GR, the whole world can go get bent.

if we don't make a trade and we do resign alfie I can see the team looking exactly the same if alfie retires than it could come down to Jurco,Pulkiken or Mantha depending on what he does In camp and preseason but I doubt he comes up this year baring injuries to everyone I see a couple ahead of him

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,057 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Mantha will spend time as a Wing this season. I think that's an inevitability. It's just a question of when and for how long.

I expect Pulkkinen to get the *short* end of the stick because he's small and his skating isn't great, and because, frankly, he's a key weapon for the Griffins. Mantha's size should help his cause with Babcock.

Edited by Dabura, 07 July 2014 - 12:44 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I'd almost rather Mantha spend the year in GRs.

Wait until Babcock moves on, then bring him up next year.

Otherwise, Babs will ruin this kid's offence while trying to make him realgud like his boy Glendenning :lol:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#49 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I feel we are just going around in circles now.

Attached Files

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 07 July 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Good point about Babcock...until he is gone, this team is stuck in a rut.  Legwand waived his NTC because he wanted to play here, but after what Babcock did to him, he bolted.  Babcock is the issue why no good UFA wants to come here...and its no secret why Canada is going in a different direction for their Olympic team next time.

www.thinkdunes.com

#51 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Good point about Babcock...until he is gone, this team is stuck in a rut.  Legwand waived his NTC because he wanted to play here, but after what Babcock did to him, he bolted.  Babcock is the issue why no good UFA wants to come here...and its no secret why Canada is going in a different direction for their Olympic team next time.

The back to back Gold medals is a big underachievement. 

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I didn't say it was an underachievement...but because of those back to back, you would think that Canada would stay with the format.  Yet, they are changing it.  Its no secret players do not like playing for Mike Babcock.  Maybe because he is a prick?  Sure, you say Scotty was a prick and players didn't like playing for him, but players from 15 years ago and a different breed than todays players.  Plus, Bowman is Bowman and Babcock is not.  He is the issue here.  Maybe its just time for a change because players just don't respond to him anymore, I don't know.  But its sad when even Swedish defensemen are shunning the chance to come to Detroit.

www.thinkdunes.com

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Ya those gold medals he won were awful. And legwand bolted because of babs and not because Holland didn't want to re sign him right?

I got a bridge to sell if you're interested

#54 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

What Swedish defenseman shunned the chance to come to Detroit?...

#55 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Euro...please see the post above yours...I am not bashing Canada in anyway or discrediting the Gold's....

What is with people being so combative today? Sheesh!  Babcock is the issue and Holland plays along.  If this is not the issue, then why are UFA's shunning us when they never used to?  Simple answer, Holland offers less money and players don't like Babcock.  If Babcock was such a super great coach and all players he won Gold with admire and long to play for him, then why are the ones that were UFA's the 8 years knocking on the door to get here?

...and yes, I would take that bridge! I could double the fee and make a little extra money!

www.thinkdunes.com

#56 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Or maybe... just maybe it has something to do with us being in a transition period...
Maybe a player choosing to go to another team over the Detroit Red Wings has a little more to do with the terrible general manager and the unbearable head coach...

#57 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

krs.....it was Stralman...he was asked is he considered playing in Detroit and he abruptly answered "No."  Now, I am not saying ALL Swedes love Detroit.  The joke was, it's pretty bad when even Swedish defensemen are snubbing Detroit.

for some reason I cannot cut and paste on here, so I cannot post the link to the tweet, but it happened.

www.thinkdunes.com

#58 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Anyway, back on topic. I can't wait to see Mantha tear up in Grand Rapids this season.

#59 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

KRS, did you just make my point for me? Thanks! That is what I mean, crappy GM and coach crappy to play for...

:lol: and yes, back to Mantha.  Like I said before, he is not going to make the team to play in the bottom 6, so he either earns that top 6 winger spot or goes to GR.  I say give it to him and let him develop here.  We have the roster spot, he is going to play with two of the best players in the NHL and if he slumps, let him fight through it. He is the future...

Edited by LeftWinger, 07 July 2014 - 02:38 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#60 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I didn't see anything like that from Stralman, if anyone else has a link, care to share...

Either way, Stralman was probably the most overpaid UFA on July 1st, so good for him and good for us.

I was being extremely sarcastic... Top 5 GM in the league, and top 5 coach in the league equals terrrrible - LeftWinger

Edited by krsmith17, 07 July 2014 - 02:41 PM.