Photo
- - - - -

Bryan Murray Diagnosed with Cancer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

I didn't see this already being discussed, if there is one already please delete this one...

Once again, I am having trouble with my paste commands on here but if you go to detnews.com the article is there.

This is sad news, I hope he can beat it! I am having one tonight in honor of the man who help build our Dynasty!

quick little funny story, when he was coach/gm for us, I was pushing wheel chairs at metro and always was on the look out for NHL players traveling.  I ran into Bryan Murray on his way to GM meetings and they were in the middle of a 10-15 game unbeaten streak at the time. A lot of people were starting to recognize him and I jokingly asked him, "Its kind of hard to remain anonymous now-a-days isn't it?"  He laughed and answered yes. He then started asking about what I do at the airport and just being friendly in general.  During our conversation I mentioned that I was going to the game the next night.  He said make sure his assistants coaches do a good job while he was gone. I said no problem! Well they lost.  Oh well.  Now, fast forward a few days later after the meetings and I am at work in my work station and I happen to see him walking through towards baggage claim. He saw me and approached me and asked me what happened and that he thought I was going to take care of things...lol! I told him I submitted some line changes but they wouldn't listen to me!  He had a laugh!  I thought is was so cool that with all the business of the NHL and the thousands of fans he meets, that he actually remembered our conversation and even was down to earth enough to give me a little egg on my face...

Great, great guy and great Hockey mind.  It's just too bad he hasn't been able to win that Cup yet...stay strong Bryan and beat this!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#2 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

That's a great story :)  He has always seemed like a good guy.  Hope he can beat the cancer.

#3 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Yes, it was especially cool to a 22 year kid who idolized the Red Wings since he was 9 and continues into his 44th year of living! I will never forget it!  Working at the airport during that time you cannot imagine the players and coaches I met.  Back then only the Wings and the Kings had private jets, so the rest of the NHL flew Northwest Airlines...good times! Rest In Peace NWA....screw Delta....what? oh sorry, that's a whole-nother story...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#4 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yes, it was especially cool to a 22 year kid who idolized the Red Wings since he was 9 and continues into his 44th year of living! I will never forget it!  Working at the airport during that time you cannot imagine the players and coaches I met.  Back then only the Wings and the Kings had private jets, so the rest of the NHL flew Northwest Airlines...good times! Rest In Peace NWA....screw Delta....what? oh sorry, that's a whole-nother story...

I couldn't agree more.

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Wish him the best.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

What kind of cancer? It's kind of important to know...

The article title is as dumb and sensationalistic as "Something really bad happened to Bryan Murray"

Hope he beats it, whatever it is

#7 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#8 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Bad news to hear. Murray is a good guy and I'm really hoping he gets well soon!

#9 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

What kind of cancer? It's kind of important to know...

The article title is as dumb and sensationalistic as "Something really bad happened to Bryan Murray"

Hope he beats it, whatever it is

It's important to know. I'm a cancer survivor myself, but I caught it real early and got lucky. Some cancers however are never really that serious, I'd' be interested to know what he's facing. Best of luck to him and his family.