22 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Let me know when they win a Cup as a GM

They have a combined four years on the job. Stevie's team went to the conference final in that span and Tampa Bay might be the favorite in the East heading into next season. Nill got Dallas into the playoffs in the West and has done a great job adding two huge pieces through trades already.

Holland just continues to make lateral moves since those two have left and the Red Wings have no direction under his leadership. Too bad Holland didn't stick to his word and retire when Nick did, so Nill would have gotten the GM job in Detroit before leaving.

Edited by GoWings1905, 12 July 2014 - 07:00 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

They have a combined four years on the job. Stevie's team went to the conference final in that span and Tampa Bay might be the favorite in the East heading into next season. Nill got Dallas into the playoffs in the West and has done a great job adding two huge pieces through trades already.

Holland just continues to make lateral moves since those two have left and the Red Wings have no direction under his leadership. Too bad Holland didn't stick to his word and retire when Nick did, so Nill would have gotten the GM job in Detroit before leaving.

As much as I like Holland because what he's done for the Franchise...i have to agree at this point. He made a lot of mistakes over the last years. He's not willing to take risks. Pav and Z will not play forever. He absolutely missed the opportunity to give the youth a chance and add the missing pieces to form a team that can make a push for the cup...

Franchise players are not cheap and they're hard to get. Big trades are always a risk. To trust young players by giving them fixed roster spots is also a risk. But just by resigning and overpaying your useless veterans, you probably won't be able to win anything...

#23 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

I think we need to wait a couple of years to assess the job Nill does in Dallas. He appears to be turning around the franchise, and I think he will, but at this point all they have done results wise since he got there was capture 8th seed.

Tampa Bay I do no believe is a favourite in the East. Last year Ben Bishop had the season of his career, I see him being good, but not that good. Without hi playing like a vezina caliber goalie, we saw how good they were in the playoffs.