• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Toews is easily a top 5 player in the league, also Weber and Crosby are making more than him for the next few years. In 2 years Stamkos is going to shatter their caphit and might even break the 12 aav. There was absolutely no way the Blackhawks would have let either one of them go, both would have gotten maximum deals for their hometown teams and Toews also took less as crazy as that sounds, Kane may be a bit overpaid but whatever.

Maybe he is making more in terms of real dollars. But I could care less about real dollars. Toews and Kane have the highest cap hit in the league.

#62 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Frankgrimes....sorry, my quote button isn't working for some reason.

I can see arguing Toews as being top 5 (a lot of people have him pretty high).  Looking at his offensive numbers, he's nowhere near that, but he brings much more to the table than offense and he provides good offense as well.  I don't see Kane as bring too much beyond offense though and his offense is not at the very top of the league, so I have more of a problem stomaching him as highest paid player in the league.

In terms of Toews being top 5....that's fine, won't argue there, but he's being paid more than anyone else....by a good margin too.

Crosby making more in the next few years is irrelevant, it is cap hit that matters.  Would you rather a contract that paid you $10 million every year for the next 5 years or a contract that paid you $12 million for the next 2 years and then $6 million for the remaining 3 years.  Crosby makes more for a few years, but over the term, Toews will earn significantly more than Crosby.

#63 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Frankgrimes....sorry, my quote button isn't working for some reason.

I can see arguing Toews as being top 5 (a lot of people have him pretty high).  Looking at his offensive numbers, he's nowhere near that, but he brings much more to the table than offense and he provides good offense as well.  I don't see Kane as bring too much beyond offense though and his offense is not at the very top of the league, so I have more of a problem stomaching him as highest paid player in the league.

In terms of Toews being top 5....that's fine, won't argue there, but he's being paid more than anyone else....by a good margin too.

Crosby making more in the next few years is irrelevant, it is cap hit that matters.  Would you rather a contract that paid you $10 million every year for the next 5 years or a contract that paid you $12 million for the next 2 years and then $6 million for the remaining 3 years.  Crosby makes more for a few years, but over the term, Toews will earn significantly more than Crosby.

No worries for whatever reason paragraphs aren't working for me, when I'm using tapatalk so I know some problems as well :-)

I also agree with you about Kane, he is not 10,5 aav good and I don't think he has the intangibles that Toews brings to the table. My personal theory is, Toews took less so Kane could get an equal deal..As much as it pains to admit it, but this guy is their version of our former #19 :(

The problem with Toews is even if he wanted he can't sign a Crosbylike deal because of the stupid new CBA. Personally speaking I would easily  take Crosbys contract over the Toews one because it's hard to argue with 104 million over 12 years, I'm a pretty conservative guy so I value security more than shorter term money. If Rocky Wirtz would have prefered a lower caphit guess what ? Speak up about a certain player hating weasel or even better can him. Also Crosbys contruct struture is now also limited, so Toews can't even take something like 14,14, 14, 14, 3, 3, 3, 3 with all these limitations it is almost impossible to create a lower caphit. The only way to do it is to pay a significant weberlike signings bonus. That being said if I'm Brisson I'm meeting with Toews and Bowman in Switzerland and don't disclose all the details about both contracts.

The best part to me is reading how some Blackhawk "fans" would have rather seen him go to UFA then re-sign him to that caphit, they were expecting something like 8 aav *lol*

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#64 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

People are comparing toews and Kane really?

It's quite simple toews is a leader like frank said just like yzerman in many ways.

But Kane is a much better player. He does more with less.

Toews has hossa and sharpe on his line Kane has who? Toews was just more dedicated and commuted since day one whereas Kane wasnt. But it's been a few years since Kane's last incident so it might be safe to say he has finally grown up.

#65 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

That was so aweful...makes Ozzy and Draper look like Daniel-Day Lewis clones. I seriously cant stand Kane in any sense...such a serious wiener.

Edited by achildr1, 17 July 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#66 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

That was so aweful...makes Ozzy and Draper look like Daniel-Day Lewis clones. I seriously cant stand Kane in any sense...such a serious wiener.

wow, what an idiotic commercial

My wish: A healthy roster

#67 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

A haiku to our friends Patty and Pigface

Two cups for The Core

Quote the raven nevermore

Kane the Sochi ghost

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#68 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

A haiku to our friends Patty and Pigface

Two cups for The Core
Quote the raven nevermore
Kane the Sochi ghost

A haiku isn't supposed to rhyme lol. But I'll let it slide

#69 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

What is this?

#70 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I love Haikus so

Kane and Toews are paid

Blackhawks are on the decline soon enough

That's not just worthless stuff

As for the dream of Seabrook forget it, Bowman would be incredible stupid to destroy their top pairing and a big reason why Keith can be that offensive weapon is the steady defensive play of Seabrook. In my mind he is one of the top defenders in the game just gets underrated because he doesn't wow you with a lot of points but I'd rather have him on the ice during the last minute of the game than the  "gamebreaker" Keith who is an unbelievable defenseman too.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !