• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

anthonyn66

Wings re-sign Cleary $1.5 mill + $1mill in game bonuses

Rate this topic

To be fair, going back the last 4 playoffs, Cleary has more points than Franzen.

(I keep repeating that stat because I still can't believe it's true).

I was and still am a big Cleary fan. I can't fault the guy for still wanting to play hockey with the Wings. But they should not have re-signed him.

To be fair, going back the last 4 playoffs, Cleary has more points than Franzen.

I was and still am a big Cleary fan. I can't fault the guy for still wanting to play hockey with the Wings. But they should not have re-signed him.

I want to play for the Wings, and I am sure I can outscore Franzen in the last 4 playoffs. Better yet ill take league minimum and a 2 way contract.

If he happens to be healthy enough to play come playoff time, we'll probably end up being glad we have him.

You people are all way too serous about this. Take a step back from your keyboard and breath.

The positive of this is it a 1 year deal we have a ton of cap space and looks like no way of using it.

If he performs like he has prior to the last couple of years you will all be in love with this move come season end.

He is a veteran player who can be trusted by the coach and knows the system, you are all very well aware of how fragile this team is so veteran leadership and depth at this price is a no brainer even if he does not play a game.

As for the GM I would like to see how some of the posters on this site would be able to pull off the NHL 2014 trades that some of you so desperately want. I can't imagine that it's that easy or you'd be a GM in this league by now.

Life long wings fan here who is a realistic person.

Chill out relax and enjoy the show!!!!

There is no positive to this, unless you are Helene St. James. First off, just because you have cap space doesn't mean blowing it on players that aren't going to help the team is prudent. Even for a year, it is completely not necessary to keep Cleary around. The Wings have an abundance of veteran leadership; all of which are still capable of playing hockey. Cleary doesn't add anything to the locker room, that isn't already there in the likes of Zetterberg, Kronwall, Datsyuk, probably Alfredsson too.

Second, Dan Cleary is not reverting to previous form. 35 years old with no knees and other injury history is not an ideal reclamation project. I loved Cleary, but he hasn't been remotely useful in years because his style of play eventually broke him down physically. You don't get that back with age and some time at the gym. The simple fact is the Red Wings have superior talent already on the roster that are now at risk of losing their spot because of Cleary. Not to mention, there is a precedent set from not even a year ago that the Wings are willing to demote players to Grand Rapids at the expense of veterans with nothing of value to offer the team.

Realistic is knowing Ken Holland's history and realizing how this is going to play out. None of which makes the Red Wings a better team come September. I don't quite understand what making a trade has to do with Cleary either. Much like the Quincey signing, Holland's best course of action was to do nothing. Instead, in typical fashion, he made a bad situation worse by clinging to his fascination with players he knows and washed up veterans. I can somewhat deal with striking out on free agents, but making senseless moves for the sake of doing something is far worse than just letting everything be.

Again, I ask what is the direction of the Red Wings organization under Ken Holland right now? It obviously isn't youth movement, as many times as Holland prefers to lie to us otherwise. Holland is insulting the fan base with claims of letting the kids play when every move he makes indicates the opposite entirely. It isn't win now either or else we aren't all discussing Dan Cleary re-signing. So that leads me to believe extending the playoff streak and lingering in mediocrity is the preferred vision of the front office.

If he happens to be healthy enough to play come playoff time, we'll probably end up being glad we have him.

Yeah, Cleary will look terrific not being able to skate in our five game first round loss.

Edited by GoWings1905

Danny Boy will follow in the path of a long line of RW veterans who have "upper body injuried" and optional shoulder/hip/back surgeried their way into retirement. I don't see him getting in the way too much this year.

There is no positive to this, unless you are Helene St. James. First off, just because you have cap space doesn't mean blowing it on players that aren't going to help the team is prudent. Even for a year, it is completely not necessary to keep Cleary around. The Wings have an abundance of veteran leadership; all of which are still capable of playing hockey. Cleary doesn't add anything to the locker room, that isn't already there in the likes of Zetterberg, Kronwall, Datsyuk, probably Alfredsson too.

Second, Dan Cleary is not reverting to previous form. 35 years old with no knees and other injury history is not an ideal reclamation project. I loved Cleary, but he hasn't been remotely useful in years because his style of play eventually broke him down physically. You don't get that back with age and some time at the gym. The simple fact is the Red Wings have superior talent already on the roster that are now at risk of losing their spot because of Cleary. Not to mention, there is a precedent set from not even a year ago that the Wings are willing to demote players to Grand Rapids at the expense of veterans with nothing of value to offer the team.

Realistic is knowing Ken Holland's history and realizing how this is going to play out. None of which makes the Red Wings a better team come September. I don't quite understand what making a trade has to do with Cleary either. Much like the Quincey signing, Holland's best course of action was to do nothing. Instead, in typical fashion, he made a bad situation worse by clinging to his fascination with players he knows and washed up veterans. I can somewhat deal with striking out on free agents, but making senseless moves for the sake of doing something is far worse than just letting everything be.

Again, I ask what is the direction of the Red Wings organization under Ken Holland right now? It obviously isn't youth movement, as many times as Holland prefers to lie to us otherwise. Holland is insulting the fan base with claims of letting the kids play when every move he makes indicates the opposite entirely. It isn't win now either or else we aren't all discussing Dan Cleary re-signing. So that leads me to believe extending the playoff streak and lingering in mediocrity is the preferred vision of the front office.

Yeah, Cleary will look terrific not being able to skate in our five game first round loss.

To be fair he was one of the more productive forwards in the 2013 playoffs. Say what you want about the guy, but when it comes playoff time, he leaves it all on the table. Also one of the only guys on the roster who can get those much needed garbage goals. Yes, it is a shame his body is broken down. But because of the fact he is here for the season, there is no harm in hoping he can step it up for the playoffs one last time.

It's a bad signing. I get it. I agree with it. But it is done. So I'm damn well gonna hope for the best.

How much of this signing has to do with the fact there is no vitality in that locker room. Waaaay too much seriousness, no Drapes, Malts, DMac, Shanny. The Room has to have characters, chemistry, and a certain amount of looseness to it.

Got to be a main reason for the signing.

How much of this signing has to do with the fact there is no vitality in that locker room. Waaaay too much seriousness, no Drapes, Malts, DMac, Shanny. The Room has to have characters, chemistry, and a certain amount of looseness to it.

Maybe it's because they don't allow the kids to develop any chemistry by resigning players like Cleary well after their use by dates?

I don't think bringing back the worst player on the team is going to lighten the mood in the locker room...

I wouldn't have much to laugh about either if I was lacing up the skates next to Dan Cleary and Kyle Quincey every game.

It's a horrendous signing, and all I can say is that it saddens me. Cleary's a guy who worked his ass off for the wings for years and deserves to be remembered for that. Not for this.

This is the positive spin I can see about this right now:

He plays really well and earns a job - which actually implies he will make the team better - and does so.

Or he plays so horrendously badly that he gets waived and sent to GR or released.

Macaractacisms:

"It's a bad signing. I get it. I agree with it. But it is done. So I'm damn well gonna hope for the best".

I think we all had high hopes for this off season, feeling like we are finally free of some dead weight, our Youngins are showin they can hang and even excel, and all we need are a couple key acquisitions and bada bing, badda boom we're right back in the chase.

But alas, no...same mistakes are being made...so we're more than a little chaffed.

I don't think bringing back the worst player on the team is going to lighten the mood in the locker room...

Just trying to come up with something,...not saying it's an effective plan...