• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

anthonyn66

Wings re-sign Cleary $1.5 mill + $1mill in game bonuses

Rate this topic

From a practiclal standpoint..if he isn't playing, I don't care. We're going to be under the cap with or without his 1.5mil. I don't want to see Dan Cleary playing over a Jurco or any other productive player unless he magically becomes 2008 Dan Cleary again.

do you honestly believe that?

only reason babcock benched him last year is because he was injured. If he isn't injured, he is going to be playing, no matter how much he sucks

I'm just desperately trying to look for any glimmer of hope.

I'd buy into the whole, "the best players will play" thing if last year didn't go down the way it did - with some of this team's best talent in the AHL... *sigh*

But in the end, old guys were benched for the kids. It didn't start well, but in the end the best players did play. If it continues to be that way, this isn't a big deal.

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 1m

#RedWings GM Ken Holland: "My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

so is holland himself admitting that the cleary signing is a bad one?

Oh FFS Kenny, if it's that important, stick him in some BS front office job. We're all greatful for what he did in the past, but MOVE ON.

It's like watching someone hang on too long and become a shell of their former self. This is the Dan Cleary I'm going to remember...

I knew i was spoiled watching that team but man still i feel bad for not enjoying it as much

we will NEVER have a team as exciting to watch as the 08,09 teams.

Utter domination every game, Hasek having 13 shots against and letting in 3.... Lids and Raffi :( Prime Z and D....hossa

ugh

But in the end, old guys were benched for the kids. It didn't start well, but in the end the best players did play. If it continues to be that way, this isn't a big deal.

it is a big deal. not having nyquist last season cost the wings points in the standings early on. that could have been the difference between playing against boston or against a more favorable team like the penguins come playoff time. every single point matters

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m

#RedWings GM Ken Holland: "My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

Sounds like it, although the fact that he's even going public about his views on loyalty makes it seem like he's trying to demonstrate the perks of signing and playing for Detroit. After striking out on the free agency targets this year, I can see why Holland would want to demonstrate his loyalty and his desire to take care of his players, and the perks that it brings. I just hope that if/when Cleary can't play effectively in a top 12 role, Babs and Holland keep him off the ice and don't impede on a younger player's opportunity to contribute and grow.

Sounds like it, although the fact that he's even going public about his views on loyalty makes it seem like he's trying to demonstrate the perks of signing and playing for Detroit. After striking out on the free agency targets this year, I can see why Holland would want to demonstrate his loyalty and his desire to take care of his players, and the perks that it brings. I just hope that if/when Cleary can't play effectively in a top 12 role, Babs and Holland keep him off the ice and don't impede on a younger player's opportunity to contribute and grow.

it does seem that way. Though I bet more people would be willing to sign here if we were just a more competitive team.

That loyalty has been real appealing to free agents too. All it has done recently is keep internal washed up veterans on the roster long past their usefulness. Every quote Holland has made lately does give the impression he's out of touch or trying to sell something nobody believes except his mouthpiece St. James.

Great, so we can lure players here by making them think that they can get paid and have a roster spot when they get old and slow. Faaaantastic.

Hahaha. It'll be like Maltby they said, it'll be a two-way deal they said. NOT KENNY HOLLAND BABY :w00t2:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Nyquist-Weiss-Alfredsson

Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader

Miller-Helm-Cleary

Soak it in guys, until half the team falls apart and then Mantha and Jurco join the fun.

Just re-sign Alfredsson now and call it an off-season.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Helm-Tatar

Cleary-Andersson-Miller

Glendening

Jurco gets buried in GR.

Yuck.

I have honestly never been more disappointed/unexcited for the Wings than this off-season.

Is anyone really surprised? We all knew this was coming, Cleary was a waste of a roster spot for just the past 2 seasons.

The Red Wings loyalty rewards program clearly states you must be a waste of a roster spot for a minimum of 3 seasons before the Wings will consider not resigning you.

Exactly, the writing was on the wall for this signing since last summer.

As Holland said about Cleary at training camp "at some point and time as the season wears on or next summer, we'll try to find a way to keep him in a Red Wing uniform for longer than a year."

I'm a bit surprised they needed to bother with a bonus - 1 year at 1 million should've been plenty. I agree with Holland that Cleary could be a solid depth player if he's healthy, but agree with pretty much every fan that this will be regrettable if it results in a better player sitting on the bench or in the minors (e.g. Jurco, Ferraro, Callahan). I recall reading that Callahan would be happy to re-sign with GR to continue to work on his game, so if Alfie does not re-sign, perhaps it will only be Ferraro left in the lurch. The good news is that Cleary's deal is only 1 year, so that gives more flexibility moving forward.

He wasn't particularly loyal to Schneider who he let leave. Or Draper/ Maltby/ or Ozzy who all wanted to keep playing but were forced into retirement because Holland didn't want them back. I'm sure there have been others but I neither want to remember nor research it.

Any infos on it dealwise? If it's a one way deal this will be the exact same team just one year older.

Newsflash ufas care about winning and perspectives ...loyality is nice give him a one year front office job and pay him that 1 mill as a locker room presence but keep him away from actually playing or blocking younger players

gh

I swear our Allstars and Nil made him look a lot better than he really is boy o boy

MacTavish, GARTH SNOW had better offseasons than this clown we are the laughing stock of the NHL....

Edited by frankgrimes

Any infos on it dealwise? If it's a one way deal this will be the exact same team just one year older. Newsflash ufas care about winning and perspectives ...loyality is nice give him a one year front office job and pay him that 1 mill as a locker room presence but keep him away from actually playing or blocking younger players I swear our Allstars and Nil made him look a lot better than he really is boy o boy

considering the base term is 1.5 million, i'm pretty sure it's a one way deal. two way deals are capped at something like 900K.

but it really doesn't matter. even if it's a one way deal, nobody is going to pick him up off waivers

Edited by chances14