• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

anthonyn66

Wings re-sign Cleary $1.5 mill + $1mill in game bonuses

Rate this topic

$2.5 million for a player with the same point total last season as Luke Glendening, who couldn't be less of an offensive threat. Not to mention, the other areas of the game where Glendening contributes and Cleary doesn't.

Cleary will make the team and play ten games -- I think that's almost a guarantee with Holland running the show and Babs saying veterans get first crack, even though Cleary already lost his job to the kids last season.

Ken Holland could have done nothing this summer and it would have been better than the mess he has now created. I know I'm definitely more excited to watch Kyle Quincey and Dan Cleary over Ryan Sproul and Tomas Jurco.

Brendan Morrow (13 G, 25 Pts last year) sign in Tampa for 1.55 million. And we got Cleary (8 freakin points) for 2.5 million?

In Kenny We...I can't, I just can't. With hindsight I can't believe that was the motto for so long.

So basically if Alfredsson re-signs Jurco is going down.

Pretty much a guarantee but he'll be up as soon as the injury bug hits & his waiver exemption won't run out mid-season like Nyquist's did last year so expect to see him bouncing back & forth.. The bigger impact imo will be on Ferraro & Callahan now as their chances of making the team would effectively be 0%. I still think one if not both of them will make it through waivers though so they will be retained.

Hmmm, that feels a little like a baiting reply to me...

Nowhere in my post did I say I'm hoping Cleary will get injured. I'm just flat out predicting that he will & it will happen early in the season. Too much of a history of injuries the past handful of seasons & way too many miles. I'll go on the record in fact on how I think this plays out...

• Around the week of 9/15, we'll start seeing media reports of Cleary not skating due to groin soreness
  • He'll try to go in the last pre-season game in Boston or maybe 2 of the last 3 and skate like his age matches his jersey #. Yes, I'm assuming Alfie will be back so Dan will not skate like he's 11.
  • Despite struggling in the 1 or 2 pre-season games he appears in, he'll still make the team & Jurco winds up in GR. I'll save this rant until another time but my theory is Cleary making the team has much more to do with Babcock than Kenny.
  • Danny looks terrible to start the season & after 3-4 games (around 10/15-17) we start seeing commentary on him being a warrior for playing through either what is thought to be a sports hernia or complications with his knees again. HSJ will be the one leading the pack on those reports.
  • After a rather lopsided loss to either the Canadiens or the Pens the week of 10/21 where Cleary checks in with at least a -3 for the night with a couple of particularly boneheaded turnovers, he's put on the DL & Jurco is recalled.
  • He tries to make an early return right after Thanksgiving & only lasts a few games before heading back to the DL.
  • Trade deadline day rolls around, there's no action from the Wings, & the board goes crazy when "The return of a healthy Dan Cleary and ... are our deadline acquisitions" ("and ..." being one of the following: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Franzen, my money's on Franzen) comes out of the mouth of Holland. Much weeping & gnashing of teeth ensues.
So in actuality, I'm hoping everyone stays healthy. Given past history though, I'm expecting that won't happen & in Cleary's case, I'm expecting it to happen fairly quickly.

Yep. My money is on this. Its too easy now...this is a no-brainer. I bet Vegas has odds on it.

I haven't heard definitively. Malik says "yes". But he's an idiot so I'm not sure.

I was just reading his open letter to KH and he linked to the DRW post about the signing, but it didn't say whether it was a one-way deal or not.

So I couldn't bear to read through this entire thread, was it confirmed as a one-way deal or not?

I haven't heard solid confirmation, though someone mentioned earlier that you could only do a bonus structure on a one-way deal. Not sure if that's true or not either.

The fact that they haven't come out and said it's a two-way deal kinda makes me think it's a one way. Holland has to know what the reaction would be if he released all at once that he re-signed Cleary to a one-way deal for potentially $2.5 million.

Big whoop. Future hall of famers come back to the Red Wings all the time. Anybody remember a little free agent by the name of Mike Modano? Detroit signing him and the Cavs signing Lebron are the EXACT same thing. Nothing at all different about those two scenarios. Kenny gets it done baby.

Big whoop. Future hall of famers come back to the Red Wings all the time. Anybody remember a little free agent by the name of Mike Modano? Detroit signing him and the Cavs signing Lebron are the EXACT same thing. Nothing at all different about those two scenarios. Kenny gets it done baby.

To be fair, Holland did bring back Osgood and it did work out for us, just a little. Relating to Lebron James, not Dan Cleary.

But to be clear, I am not defending Holland. I have never done that in my life, and I never will!

Brendan Morrow (13 G, 25 Pts last year) sign in Tampa for 1.55 million. And we got Cleary (8 freakin points) for 2.5 million?

In Kenny We...I can't, I just can't. With hindsight I can't believe that was the motto for so long.

Maybe Morrow was one of the "I don't know why they're not coming here" crowd.

I'd rather play in Tampa than for the Wings right now.

I haven't heard solid confirmation, though someone mentioned earlier that you could only do a bonus structure on a one-way deal. Not sure if that's true or not either.

The fact that they haven't come out and said it's a two-way deal kinda makes me think it's a one way. Holland has to know what the reaction would be if he released all at once that he re-signed Cleary to a one-way deal for potentially $2.5 million.

"potentially" - read: probably.. oh. and don't forget the NTC.... not that it matters. just hope they don't come out and say it's actually a NMC *knocks on allll the wood*

Apologies if this has been posted, but if Capgeek's twitter feed is correct, this keeps getting funnier.

Daniel Cleary gets a $250K signing bonus and a NTC. #RedWings #NHL

"potentially" - read: probably.. oh. and don't forget the NTC.... not that it matters. just hope they don't come out and say it's actually a NMC *knocks on allll the wood*

yeah, I hadn't heard about the NTC yet. It seriously is a staggeringly bad contract.

5 years and not one major UFA signing although a lot of kicking the tires, saying A and doing B plus turning THE destination into a non destination.

Sometimes laughing is the best medicine and that's also exactly why I've wanted the streak to end at least ownership would then realize that changes are needed and move him up as VP only..

Major UFA signings: Weiss, Alfredsson, Dekeyser.

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team".

I can see they really value the fans.

Edited by ShanahanMan

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team".

I can see they really value the fans.

Wow. Seriously?

I can't believe the Red Wings ticket office thinks Billy Beane is the team's GM.

(But seriously that's totally absurd if true.)