• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

anthonyn66

Wings re-sign Cleary $1.5 mill + $1mill in game bonuses

Rate this topic

Meh. Would prefer a team on the east or at least central so I can watch the games.

Being in Boston, might start following the Bruins closer. Though I hate a ton of players on the team, I think Chiarell is the best GM in the NHL.

Just so you know, I shared your quote on Deadspin - who agrees with everyone's sentiments. Hope that's okay.

http://deadspin.com/loyalty-in-sports-is-stupid-1603671213/all

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team".

I can see they really value the fans.

Is that a direct quote or are you paraphrasing? Because if someone had the balls to write that in an email to you then they should be shot (or promoted to GM since they clearly have more balls than Holland).

Not sure if it's been cleared up, but I'm pretty sure the deal is a one-way. I don't think it matters, though... as the only difference between the one and two-way deals is how much a player is paid in the NHL vs AHL.. I think I saw in all of the Twitter stuff that they'd get cap relief, anyway, since it's not a multi-year deal. The real issue is him taking up space on a 23 man roster, which can be remedied if management has the fortitude to do so.

I'm also 99% sure that two-way deals can include bonuses - players like McKinnon, etc. any kind of superstar, really have performance and signing bonuses in their ELC's. So I would assume that the deals can include bonuses.

Is that a direct quote or are you paraphrasing? Because if someone had the balls to write that in an email to you then they should be shot (or promoted to GM since they clearly have more balls than Holland).

Paraphrasing, but that's the gist.

To be fair though, they offered to follow up with me about it but I refused. I just wasn't interesting in hearing the same recycled banter to try to convince me this is the best team ever.

I'm also 99% sure that two-way deals can include bonuses - players like McKinnon, etc. any kind of superstar, really have performance and signing bonuses in their ELC's. So I would assume that the deals can include bonuses.

You're right about this, but there's a limit. An ELC (including bonuses) can only amount to 1.3 million dollars. Which is why Dekeyser's cap hit was less than a million but his total earnings were 1.3 million. If you'll remember, earlier in the summer there was some discussion about how much cap space the Wings would have to sign FAs (so funny in hindsight) as a result of bonuses to Alfie and Dekeyser that carried over.

Paraphrasing, but that's the gist.

To be fair though, they offered to follow up with me about it but I refused. I just wasn't interesting in hearing the same recycled banter to try to convince me this is the best team ever.

But it is the best team ever. Since July 1st (actually the last 5 July firsts), we've repeatedly been inundated with the same message. "Sometimes the best moves are those you don't make". Totally true. Gotcha Red Wings. But doesn't that also mean then that "sometimes the worst moves are the ones you DO make"?

Alas, this too is a reality.

f*** you Ken Holland.

You're right about this, but there's a limit. An ELC (including bonuses) can only amount to 1.3 million dollars. Which is why Dekeyser's cap hit was less than a million but his total earnings were 1.3 million. If you'll remember, earlier in the summer there was some discussion about how much cap space the Wings would have to sign FAs (so funny in hindsight) as a result of bonuses to Alfie and Dekeyser that carried over.

But it is the best team ever. Since July 1st (actually the last 5 July firsts), we've repeatedly been inundated with the same message. "Sometimes the best moves are those you don't make". Totally true. Gotcha Red Wings. But doesn't that also mean then that "sometimes the worst moves are the ones you DO make"?

Alas, this too is a reality.

f*** you Ken Holland.

Another thing that pissed me off is he finished his response with, "That said, we will no longer expect voice messages from you either". This after one message. Haha.

That I'm not paraphrasing.

Are you sure? I remember some deals reaching near 3+ or so, with bonuses included. For example, MacKinnon's deal is his base of 925K, plus a 2.8 million dollar bonus. Just saw this on CapGeek, too:

Performance bonuses, or Exhibit 5 bonuses, cannot exceed $2,850,000. These bonuses are divided into two categories: Schedule A and Schedule B.

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 52s

Dan Cleary's bonus is $1 million for 10 games played. #RedWings

This s*** just gets more and more comical, Dano is going to make 2.5 million next year :lol:

If I don't read that this is a joke in a few posts, I'm literally going to get a headache.

This signing is nothing short of shameful. Dan Cleary should be absolutely ashamed to be making that kind of money while taking a spot away from a more deserving player.

And for the love, if he's really such a team-first guy, why in the ever living f*** did he sign this deal?

At this point, is there anyone left that wants to see Holland's contract extended after this season?

I think the organization just needs a fresh start all the way around. Unfortunately, Babs included, but he's gone no matter what.

Edited by GoWings1905

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team".

What else do we need to know? This is how Olympia Entertainment and Little Cesar's view their customers. Who makes a good pizza? I'm done with the 5 dollar crap.

Edited by pondrocket

At this point, is there anyone left that wants to see Holland's contract extended after this season?

I think the organization just needs a fresh start all the way around. Unfotunately, Babs included but he's gone no matter what.

I would like to keep Babs but the Wings have been in decline since the teams Scotty contributed to began breaking apart. Good luck in Toronto (his dream job) Holland.

I think the organization just needs a fresh start all the way around. Unfotunately, Babs included but he's gone no matter what.

Despite getting my head cut off saying it at this time in this thread I do.

Speaking of not valuing fans.....

This from Art Regner's latest article:

en the Detroit Red Wings signed Daniel Cleary last season, I told Detroit general manager Ken Holland that it was going to be an unpopular move with the fans. Holland looked at me and said, "Who do I listen to on Cleary, the fans or the guys in the room, my players and my coach? "Everybody wanted me to bring Cleary back."

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/regner-what-re-signing-cleary-means-for-red-wings-071114?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The guy could just give two s***s about the fanbase.

Edited by ShanahanMan

So it's true. He listens to the expert opinions of the staff he pays for this sort of thing. What an idiot.

I was just going to post that. What exactly does Holland expect his fellow teammates to say about him? Of course they are gonna say they 'enjoy' having him around. Of course they are going to say they 'want' him back because if he does end up back in the locker room it would create unneeded friction.

It's up to Holland to read between the lines here and make the best decision for the team.

And I would bet some serious money (if I had any) that nobody he asked talked about wanting him back because of his on-ice play and performances or how he could help the team win games.

It was probably all lip service to his 'leadership' (not seeing much of that anymore, otherwise he would show the younger guys how to walk away when you know you're hurting the team), or his 'locker room presence' (Is there nobody else on the team who can inspire our guys? Our captain who battles more than anybody can't so that? Aflie, who was captain in Ottawa for how long? Pavel? Kronwall?).

All he's done by coming back is piss off our prospects, guys who could be the future of the team. I can't think of any other organization that pisses on it's prospects the way Detroit does. It'd be fine if you already had a stacked team and were competing for Cups. I'm sure they would understand in that situation. But this?....

Edited by roboturner

So it's true. He listens to the expert opinions of the staff he pays for this sort of thing. What an idiot.

I bet those same experts told him to resign Samuelsson, Williams, Bertuzzi and Quincey.

Seems to me like he needs to find new experts.

I was just going to post that. What exactly does he expect his fellow teammates to say about him? Of course they are gonna say they enjoy having him around. Of course they are going to say they 'want' him back because if he does end up back in the locker room it would create unneeded friction.

It's up to Holland to read between the lines here and make the best decision for the team.

Exactly. The GM is supposed to be the freaking voice of reason for god's sakes, that's why he's the GM. Not just leave all decisions up to the players.

I bet those same experts told him to resign Samuelsson, Williams, Bertuzzi and Quincey.

Seems to me like he needs to find new experts.

Exactly. The GM is supposed to be the freaking voice of reason for god's sakes, that's why he's the GM. Not just leave all decisions up to the players.

Either that... or hire me, and you, and RichDG as experts

heck he should just read LGW for pete's sake!

Surprised they didn't tell you, "We like our team"

Did he also forget about what was said by his coach, his captain, and his other star players after being demolished by Boston?

Something along the lines of "We're not good enough" (Babs, I think) and "We need to get better" (Hank, I think) and "We want to compete for a Cup next year" (Pavel, I think)

I mean christ, take a freakin hint dude!!

Edited by roboturner

Speaking of not valuing fans.....

This from Art Regner's latest article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/regner-what-re-signing-cleary-means-for-red-wings-071114?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The guy could just give two s***s about the fanbase.

I don't have a problem with him not worrying about the fans reactions. Who knows what the team would look like if he listened to us fanatics.

It bothers me that he puts it on the players and coach and deflects responsibility for the decision. He's the friggin GM. He not only has final say, he should be pretty damn good at assessing players as well.

So far we have quotes from Holland about the signing that say: (any others?)

"My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

"Who do I listen to on Cleary, the fans or the guys in the room, my players and my coach? Everybody wanted me to bring Cleary back." (This was last year by the way. You'd think he would have figured it out that this didn't work out so well!)

So the players and coach are making the signings and there's bad aspects of being loyal, but were gonna do it anyway cuz I'm just doing what they want... Great Ken! Real ******* Great!

He called you and said that, or it's an email?

Wow! Wtf???