• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

anthonyn66

Wings re-sign Cleary $1.5 mill + $1mill in game bonuses

Rate this topic

This is the downside of being an original 6 franchise. If a team like St. Louis sucks for years and doesn't seem to improve, coaches, management heads are starting to roll because they need their fans, so a guy like Armstrong is doing everything in his power to provide them with a great team.

If that guy would have given me such an arrogant response, my reply would have looked this:

"Dear arrogant PR puppet, a disgruntled customer brings 49 other distruntled ones so shove you arrogant response somewhere else and thanks I'm going to cheer for whatever team I want to. This Email will be forwarded to my friends and other fans on the edge just to show them, what type of "classy" guys are working in that organisation..."

Edited by frankgrimes

Recently, I was planning a bachelor's party for my brother to celebrate his upcoming nuptials. As I was going down the list of people I needed to invite, I came across an interesting name. Let's call him Stan Dearly. There are no obvious advantages to inviting Stan. He's dumb, provides nothing of substance to any gathering, is not funny, interesting, or good natured. He's also cheap, and wouldn't buy a round of beers if you held his feet over a fire. In short, I hate Stan Dearly. A lot.

But through some sort of cruel twist of fate, Stan Dearly is married to my sister. I cannot, for the life of me, explain why someone as seemingly clear minded as my sister would marry Stan Dearly. He is a fool. She is not. And so I chalk it up to god's will, and choose not to ask questions I can't answer, similar to when my pet turtle Bingo died when I was 7.

I will have to invite Stan Dearly to that bachelor's party. Despite every single inclination to the contrary, I have to do it. If only to make my clearly misguided sister happy. I'll hate every second of it. He'll be dull, disinterested, and sleazy. He'll spend too much time on his smart phone, and complain about the cigar smoke. He'll try and test my patience in ways that should never have happened if there were any sort of fairness in this universe.

And that's exactly how I feel about the Dan Cleary signing too.

Recently, I was planning a bachelor's party for my brother to celebrate his upcoming nuptials. As I was going down the list of people I needed to invite, I came across an interesting name. Let's call him Stan Dearly. There are no obvious advantages to inviting Stan. He's dumb, provides nothing of substance to any gathering, is not funny, interesting, or good natured. He's also cheap, and wouldn't buy a round of beers if you held his feet over a fire. In short, I hate Stan Dearly. A lot.

But through some sort of cruel twist of fate, Stan Dearly is married to my sister. I cannot, for the life of me, explain why someone as seemingly clear minded as my sister would marry Stan Dearly. He is a fool. She is not. And so I chalk it up to god's will, and choose not to ask questions I can't answer, similar to when my pet turtle Bingo died when I was 7.

I will have to invite Stan Dearly to that bachelor's party. Despite every single inclination to the contrary, I have to do it. If only to make my clearly misguided sister happy. I'll hate every second of it. He'll be dull, disinterested, and sleazy. He'll spend too much time on his smart phone, and complain about the cigar smoke. He'll try and test my patience in ways that should never have happened if there were any sort of fairness in this universe.

And that's exactly how I feel about the Dan Cleary signing too.

Maybe Cleary is married to Holland's sister

Remember after the '13 playoffs, and even though we had just dropped a 3-1 series lead against the hawks, thinking "well at least next year we can improve by not having Cleary on the team"....

Does Cleary not realize that he is making everybody hate him? He could have retired after that season and been remember as a warrior and contributor for his time with the Wings.

Now the only thing main thing people are are going to remember about him is this f***in debacle two years in a row.

He'll be remembered as the guy who made the wings worse because he was too selfish to just hang them up.

He better hope like hell that this isn't the year they miss the playoffs because he will be the scapegoat for a LONG time (as well as Holland, he hasn't thought about his impending legacy as the guy who f***ed up the great Red Wings either)

Remember after the '13 playoffs, and even though we had just dropped a 3-1 series lead against the hawks, thinking "well at least next year we can improve by not having Cleary on the team"....

Does Cleary not realize that he is making everybody hate him? He could have retired after that season and been remember as a warrior and contributor for his time with the Wings.

Now the only thing main thing people are are going to remember about him is this f***in debacle two years in a row.

He'll be remembered as the guy who made the wings worse because he was too selfish to just hang them up.

He better hope like hell that this isn't the year they miss the playoffs because he will be the scapegoat for a LONG time (as well as Holland, he hasn't thought about his impending legacy as the guy who f***ed up the great Red Wings either)

I don't hate Cleary as much as I hate Holland for making me hate a player I used to really like.

I don't hate Cleary as much as I hate Holland for making me hate a player I used to really like.

I remember thinking a while back, maybe 8-10 years ago or so, wanting a Cleary jersey. I can't stand his face anymore and I'm glad I didn't make that decision. f*** you Kenny, I hate you more than the person who stole my bike as a child.

Cleary is a competitor. What made him great for those years is the same thing that makes him not want to quit now. I can't fault a guy for wanting to play for the Red Wings for another year.

If Cleary makes the team it's because the GM who gave him this contract and his coach decided he should have a spot over younger players. That's not Cleary's fault. It's not his responsibility to decline a job with the Red Wings because the GM can no longer evaluate talent effectively.

I don't think he should've been offered a contract but if the Wings make the playoffs or not, I blame Cleary for nothing.

Cleary is a competitor. What made him great for those years is the same thing that makes him not want to quit now. I can't fault a guy for wanting to play for the Red Wings for another year.

If Cleary makes the team it's because the GM who gave him this contract and his coach decided he should have a spot over younger players. That's not Cleary's fault. It's not his responsibility to decline a job with the Red Wings because the GM can no longer evaluate talent effectively.

I don't think he should've been offered a contract but if the Wings make the playoffs or not, I blame Cleary for nothing.

Lidstrom was a competitor, hell all pro athletes are. You don't get to that level without being one. Knowing when to walk away is one thing he definitely didn't learn from Nick. I don't blame him completely, but he can't be so blind to think he can still hack it on this team.

Lidstrom was a competitor, hell all pro athletes are. You don't get to that level without being one. Knowing when to walk away is one thing he definitely didn't learn from Nick. I don't blame him completely, but he can't be so blind to think he can still hack it on this team.

Idk about u, but if I had made the big leagues I woulda milked every second out of playing for the wings. Especially if the GM was giving 2.5 million too. Sure beats retiring

The Perfect Human is a tough example for anyone to follow. Lidstrom went out a step slower but still near the top of his game.

For all we know Cleary may want to come back because he knows he was terrible last season and doesn't want to go out that way.

Like I said, it's not Cleary's job to decide whether or not he should be on the team.

Last time was almost totally on Cleary. He was offered a 3-year deal by Ken, turned it down....and then came crawling back cuz his heart was still in Detroit? If that was the case he would have signed the first deal. It was only when he found out that every other team thinks he is worthless that he came back cuz his 'heart' was here.

And this time around he won't give it up because of some 'handshake' deal that was made last time. He actually thinks he deserves special treatment after that god-awful season he had because of that 'handshake'.

As much as I blame Holland for signing him (and I do quite a bit, for he has total power to just walk away and not sign him), even he knows what a bad deal this is. Already he's trying to pawn it off on players/coach & good/bad loyalty quotes.

I can't be certain who initiated these talks but I'm sure his agent wasn't going to stop letting Holland know about that 'handshake'. And Holland to his greatest fault went for it.

I know monetary wise it'd be stupid to turn it down, but all this talk of his 'leadership' is bulls*** because the guy isn't a leader. He's a hound chasing a squirrel. One of your 'team leaders' shouldn't be dragging the team down, especially if that is literally the only supposed thing he brings to the table. If he was truly a team leader he would be doing what is best for the team, and whats best for the team is him off of it.

Last time was almost totally on Cleary. He was offered a 3-year deal by Ken, turned it down....and then came crawling back cuz his heart was still in Detroit? If that was the case he would have signed the first deal. It was only when he found out that every other team thinks he is worthless that he came back cuz his 'heart' was here.

And this time around he won't give it up because of some 'handshake' deal that was made last time. He actually thinks he deserves special treatment after that god-awful season he had because of that 'handshake'.

As much as I blame Holland for signing him (and I do quite a bit, for he has total power to just walk away and not sign him), even he knows what a bad deal this is. Already he's trying to pawn it off on players/coach & good/bad loyalty quotes.

I can't be certain who initiated these talks but I'm sure his agent wasn't going to stop letting Holland know about that 'handshake'. And Holland to his greatest fault went for it.

I know monetary wise it'd be stupid to turn it down, but all this talk of his 'leadership' is bulls*** because the guy isn't a leader. He's a hound chasing a squirrel. One of your 'team leaders' shouldn't be dragging the team down, especially if that is literally the only supposed thing he brings to the table. If he was truly a team leader he would be doing what is best for the team, and whats best for the team is him off of it.

First off, I don't like this signing anymore than you.

Second, you're making up facts, unless I'm completely unaware.

He turned down a three year deal? He had a tryout with Philly, and said afterwards I'd rather be in Detroit (who wouldn't :))

He's trying to pawn it the signing off on others? Please link to this bc I'm completely unaware of this Cleary audacity.

Lastly, questioning his role in the lockeroom is dumb. Mostly bc none of us know what it is, but also bc his continued re-signing probably also suggests we do not understand the full dynamics of that lockeroom and his roll in it.

Again, I don't like the signing either. But exaggerating the cleary hatred has become beyond annoying at this point. The guy is bad, but he's not satan himself.

Edited by number9

He turned down a three year deal? He had a tryout with Philly, and said afterwards I'd rather be in Detroit (who wouldn't :))

He's trying to pawn it the signing off on others? Please link to this bc I'm completely unaware of this Cleary audacity.

Lastly, questioning his role in the lockeroom is dumb. Mostly bc none of us know what it is, but also bc his continued re-signing probably also suggests we do not understand the full dynamics of that lockeroom and his roll in it.

Again, I don't like the signing either. But exaggerating the cleary hatred has become beyond annoying at this point. The guy is bad, but he's not satan himself.

It's well known cleary turned down a 3 year deal from the wings originally, claiming he didn't think the contract would pay him what he thought he was worth.

I think he only turned down the Philly deal cause he knew they would have pulled there offer after seeing him zamboni the ice with his jersey at training camp

It's well known cleary turned down a 3 year deal from the wings originally, claiming he didn't think the contract would pay him what he thought he was worth.

I think he only turned down the Philly deal cause he knew they would have pulled there offer after seeing him zamboni the ice with his jersey at training camp

Do we know the details of that offer? Obviously he preferred to sign a a 1 year deal with us. The rest of my points remain the same.

Do we know the details of that offer? Obviously he preferred to sign a a 1 year deal with us. The rest of my points remain the same.

Well at that point all the cap space was eaten up and they gave him less than the original offer. I think it was something like 3 years $7 million or something like that.

Well at that point all the cap space was eaten up and they gave him less than the original offer. I think it was something like 3 years $7 million or something like that.

Thank god we didn't give him that, if that's any conciliation

As was said I'm not making s*** up.

Those were Holland's quotes about signing him:

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/regner-what-re-signing-cleary-means-for-red-wings-071114

Holland looked at me and said, "Who do I listen to on Cleary, the fans or the guys in the room, my players and my coach?

"Everybody wanted me to bring Cleary back."

That was after signing him last year. And Holland still didn't learn his lesson.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/wings/2014/07/10/daniel-clearly-contract-detroit/12494391/

General manager Ken Holland said the decision, "has more to do with last year. My program has been one of loyalty, and there's good things and bad things that go with that. Way more good, in my opinion. I reached out to a lot of people before signing Dan, and he's very popular in our organization and with our on-ice leaders."

Do you honestly think the players in the locker room want the team to get worse? Do you honestly think the young guys who are eager to contribute appreciate getting passed over for someone who makes the team worse? Do you honestly think Pav & Z want to spend their final years in the NHL on a mediocre team instead of chasing championships? Do you honestly think that Dan Cleary brings some amazing locker room intangible which apparently nobody else can that it justifies making the team worse? I don't need to be in the locker room to make an educated guess on that.

And teaching these young guys that it's OK to be selfish and demand the team bend over backwards for you and only you isn't exactly what I would call a great example of 'leadership' or being a 'good locker room guy'.

And your last line is exactly why I was saying he should have just retired. He's being vilified and it didn't have to go down this way, but again, he's brought this on himself by demanding that Holland honor his handshake deal after that horrid season he had last year.

Edit: oh and who wouldn't want to be in Detroit, you want to know? Ask all the free agents that passed us up cuz our team is seriously mismanaged and going nowhere fast.

Edited by roboturner

For simplicity's sake, I bolded the parts you're making up.

I really hope that this is the last comment on this thread...

Holland promised to sign Cleary for the 2014-2015 season. Done.

Cleary needs to demonstrate in camp that he can make the team. Not Done.

Yes, we all make the conspiring suggestions that Babs and Holland will turn a blind eye no matter what Cleary does in camp and put him on the roster.

The other alternative.. Cleary realizes that he can't make the team and walks away from the contract .

This guy has to understand that a majority of Wings fans completely despise him and want him to go away as well as Holland. Neither will probably happen though.

Edited by Vladiator

For simplicity's sake, I bolded the parts you're making up.

"Of course I can explain what's wrong with this, I just don't want to! I'll just say it's made up cuz i'm a mod" Well done harold, well done.

Sure it's speculation. But it isn't baseless. It's called extrapolation and its amazing the amount of info you can get by it. You should try it sometime!

Answer me this:

Do you really think he turned down a 3 year deal from Detroit because his heart was in Detroit? Does that make sense to you?

- doesn't make sense to me

Did he turn down multi-year offers from multiple teams (or even 1 team) to come back? Or was it a tryout with one team with no guarantees?

-Indications are it was the latter (I'll admit I'm not positive as its been claimed both ways, still alot of confusion about this)

Do you think this handshake deal has nothing to do with this signing?

-Quotes from Holland strongly indicate it does

Do you really think his agent was just going to forget about said deal?

-Wouldn't be much of an agent if he did. Of course he's going to reach out to the GM about it.

And please tell me what kind of positive leadership the guy is bringing to the table and (if there is any) how that outweighs his on ice performances.

-If they need his locker room presence so bad then they could pay him to sit in the locker room. Pay him a million buck for a few years to be 'President of Team Morale'. No need to sign him to a playing contract.

Edited by roboturner

Another thing that pissed me off is he finished his response with, "That said, we will no longer expect voice messages from you either". This after one message. Haha.

That I'm not paraphrasing.

Wow. I wonder if yours isn't the only voicemail they've received the last couple of days? :lol:

Why?

I'll make it short: The good (drafting, prospects) far outweighs the bad (arguably the missed FAs, signing of washed up Vets).

And, maybe most important for me, the Organisation is a classy one and Holland is a huge reason for that. I don't want to win a cup if we deal with things like Vancouver or Montreal or with having players who behave like assholes on the ice like Lucic.

Iam not upset with Cleary signing anymore. He makes a good photoshop material. Thanks to masterful work by FlashyG we will enjoy having Cleary on our beloved team. Looking forward to start of the season.