• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#221 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

This is clearly ridiculous, but I don't know if Holland's quote has been metioned...this at least takes some of the sting off:

http://www.mlive.com..._forward_2.html

Regardless, this is easily the worst off-season in the Wings have had in recent memory.

do you honestly believe that?

only reason babcock benched him last year is because he was injured. If he isn't injured, he is going to be playing, no matter how much he sucks

#222 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Huh... Could have sworn that today was July 10th not April Fools...

He could still end up in GA, even on a one way contract. It just means he gets paid the full contract amount while playing there. So it would be a waste of cap space, but not a waste of a roster spot.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#223 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Iam sure many of us hope that Weiss will be back healthy and provide what was expected of him. If that happens I will close my eyes on Cleary. Let him be. Do whatever he does. I don't mind if he does not play more than 5 games. Let him at least sign autographs for the kids.

#224 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Huh... Could have sworn that today was July 10th not April Fools...

He could still end up in GA, even on a one way contract. It just means he gets paid the full contract amount while playing there. So it would be a waste of cap space, but not a waste of a roster spot.

as long as babcock is coach of the red wings, he isn't going to grand rapids

#225 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

I literally spent the last two days arguing with guys who think we should trade Tatar and that "Holland's done everything he can" to make this team better but "you can't make people sign here". 

On the one hand I'm bummed that our already bad team didn't get any better.  On the other hand I'm delighted to have some evidence to point at the next time I say KH isf****** up. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#226 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

From a practiclal standpoint..if he isn't playing, I don't care.  We're going to be under the cap with or without his 1.5mil.  I don't want to see Dan Cleary playing over a Jurco or any other productive player unless he magically becomes 2008 Dan Cleary again.

#227 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

On the bright side. Now we know what was Holland doing this summer. He was making sure Cleary works hard in the gym.

#228 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'd buy into the whole, "the best players will play" thing if last year didn't go down the way it did - with some of this team's best talent in the AHL... *sigh*

#229 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

do you honestly believe that?

only reason babcock benched him last year is because he was injured. If he isn't injured, he is going to be playing, no matter how much he sucks

I'm just desperately trying to look for any glimmer of hope. 

#230 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 1m

#RedWings GM Ken Holland: "My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

so is holland himself admitting that the cleary signing is a bad one?

#231 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'd buy into the whole, "the best players will play" thing if last year didn't go down the way it did - with some of this team's best talent in the AHL... *sigh*

But in the end, old guys were benched for the kids. It didn't start well, but in the end the best players did play. If it continues to be that way, this isn't a big deal.

#232 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 1m

#RedWings GM Ken Holland: "My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

Oh FFS Kenny, if it's that important, stick him in some BS front office job.  We're all greatful for what he did in the past, but MOVE ON.

#233 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m

Sounds like that to me

#234 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

It's like watching someone hang on too long and become a shell of their former self. This is the Dan Cleary I'm going to remember...

I knew i was spoiled watching that team but man still i feel bad for not enjoying it as much

we will NEVER have a team as exciting to watch as the 08,09 teams.

Utter domination every game, Hasek having 13 shots against and letting in 3.... Lids and Raffi :( Prime Z and D....hossa 

ugh

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#235 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Kenny sounds like a guy trying to explain his latest STD. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#236 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

This will only stop if we stop making it into the playoffs. Holland doesn't have a clue!!!!

#237 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

But in the end, old guys were benched for the kids. It didn't start well, but in the end the best players did play. If it continues to be that way, this isn't a big deal.

it is a big deal. not having nyquist last season cost the wings points in the standings early on. that could have been the difference between playing against boston or against a more favorable team like the penguins come playoff time. every single point matters

#238 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like it, although the fact that he's even going public about his views on loyalty makes it seem like he's trying to demonstrate the perks of signing and playing for Detroit. After striking out on the free agency targets this year, I can see why Holland would want to demonstrate his loyalty and his desire to take care of his players, and the perks that it brings. I just hope that if/when Cleary can't play effectively in a top 12 role, Babs and Holland keep him off the ice and don't impede on a younger player's opportunity to contribute and grow.

#239 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like it, although the fact that he's even going public about his views on loyalty makes it seem like he's trying to demonstrate the perks of signing and playing for Detroit. After striking out on the free agency targets this year, I can see why Holland would want to demonstrate his loyalty and his desire to take care of his players, and the perks that it brings. I just hope that if/when Cleary can't play effectively in a top 12 role, Babs and Holland keep him off the ice and don't impede on a younger player's opportunity to contribute and grow.

it does seem that way. Though I bet more people would be willing to sign here if we were just a more competitive team.

#240 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

This proves Holland is delusional.