526 replies to this topic

#241 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m
#RedWings GM Ken Holland: "My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

so is holland himself admitting that the cleary signing is a bad one?

That loyalty has been real appealing to free agents too. All it has done recently is keep internal washed up veterans on the roster long past their usefulness. Every quote Holland has made lately does give the impression he's out of touch or trying to sell something nobody believes except his mouthpiece St. James.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#242 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Sounds like it, although the fact that he's even going public about his views on loyalty makes it seem like he's trying to demonstrate the perks of signing and playing for Detroit. After striking out on the free agency targets this year, I can see why Holland would want to demonstrate his loyalty and his desire to take care of his players, and the perks that it brings. I just hope that if/when Cleary can't play effectively in a top 12 role, Babs and Holland keep him off the ice and don't impede on a younger player's opportunity to contribute and grow.

Great, so we can lure players here by making them think that they can get paid and have a roster spot when they get old and slow.  Faaaantastic.

#243 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

Just re-sign Alfredsson now and call it an off-season.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Tatar
Cleary-Andersson-Miller
Glendening

Jurco gets buried in GR.

Yuck.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#244 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,043 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hahaha. It'll be like Maltby they said, it'll be a two-way deal they said. NOT KENNY HOLLAND BABY :w00t2:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Nyquist-Weiss-Alfredsson

Tatar-Sheahan-Abdelkader

Miller-Helm-Cleary

Soak it in guys, until half the team falls apart and then Mantha and Jurco join the fun.

#NOMOREKINDL

#245 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Just re-sign Alfredsson now and call it an off-season.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Tatar
Cleary-Andersson-Miller
Glendening

Jurco gets buried in GR.

Yuck.

I have honestly never been more disappointed/unexcited for the Wings than this off-season. 

#246 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Is anyone really surprised? We all knew this was coming, Cleary was a waste of a roster spot for just the past 2 seasons.

The Red Wings loyalty rewards program clearly states you must be a waste of a roster spot for a minimum of 3 seasons before the Wings will consider not resigning you.

Exactly, the writing was on the wall for this signing since last summer. 

As Holland said about Cleary at training camp "at some point and time as the season wears on or next summer, we'll try to find a way to keep him in a Red Wing uniform for longer than a year." http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mG6LST7PPLc

I'm a bit surprised they needed to bother with a bonus - 1 year at 1 million should've been plenty. I agree with Holland that Cleary could be a solid depth player if he's healthy, but agree with pretty much every fan that this will be regrettable if it results in a better player sitting on the bench or in the minors (e.g. Jurco, Ferraro, Callahan). I recall reading that Callahan would be happy to re-sign with GR to continue to work on his game, so if Alfie does not re-sign, perhaps it will only be Ferraro left in the lurch. The good news is that Cleary's deal is only 1 year, so that gives more flexibility moving forward.  

#247 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m
#RedWings GM Ken Holland: "My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

so is holland himself admitting that the cleary signing is a bad one?

He wasn't particularly loyal to Schneider who he let leave. Or Draper/ Maltby/ or Ozzy who all wanted to keep playing but were forced into retirement because Holland didn't want them back. I'm sure there have been others but I neither want to remember nor research it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#248 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Any infos on it dealwise? If it's a one way deal this will be the exact same team just one year older. Newsflash ufas care about winning and perspectives ...loyality is nice give him a one year front office job and pay him that 1 mill as a locker room presence but keep him away from actually playing or blocking younger players gh I swear our Allstars and Nil made him look a lot better than he really is boy o boy MacTavish, GARTH SNOW had better offseasons than this clown we are the laughing stock of the NHL....

Edited by frankgrimes, 10 July 2014 - 08:20 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#249 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ugghhh that quote by Holland made me cringe...please get someone who lives in reality.

#250 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Any infos on it dealwise? If it's a one way deal this will be the exact same team just one year older. Newsflash ufas care about winning and perspectives ...loyality is nice give him a one year front office job and pay him that 1 mill as a locker room presence but keep him away from actually playing or blocking younger players I swear our Allstars and Nil made him look a lot better than he really is boy o boy

considering the base term is 1.5 million, i'm pretty sure it's a one way deal. two way deals are capped at something like 900K.

but it really doesn't matter. even if it's a one way deal, nobody is going to pick him up off waivers

Edited by chances14, 10 July 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#251 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

So....

This would have been a little easier to tolerate this BS when I was living in another state and supported that team as a 2nd. Now I'm in Michigan and I have nothing to soften the blow from this genius general manager. 

#252 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

So all in all a pretty good off-season so far right guys? Wouldn't be surprised if Dekeyser and Tatar don't want to re-sign with us. Absolutely ridiculous. At what point is Holland held accountable though? 

#253 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Well we all knew deep down this would happen. Let's hope he doesn't dress for more then 5 games. I think Babs knows he has nothing left and the kids have definitely taken his spot. Just a horrible move on KH part.

#254 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ahhh. If only...http://www.broadstre..._campaign=blogs.

(Getting to know new Flyers forward Dan Cleary)

Edited by T.Low, 10 July 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#255 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Is there a petition we can get going around and maybe get it before Chris Ilitch's eyes or something?

Ken Holland is just god awful. He's like that crazy guy who thinks the end of the world is going to be the best thing that could ever happen because he's going to get raptured, so he starts launching nukes to bring it about.....

....alright that might be overboard but still, you get the idea.

He seems to be willfully running the once great Wings into the ground and its infuriating.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#256 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

Just keep pounding the keys, they read the media.

#257 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

ken_phone.jpg

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#258 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

The only good thing is that I'll have more comedy material next season.

Dano is back, baby!   :lol:

Edited by GMRwings1983, 10 July 2014 - 08:44 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#259 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, while it's mind boggling that he got re-signed at all, let alone for $1.5 million and a $1 million bonus, it doesn't really matter.  Since they're not going to use up the cap space, they could've given him $10 million and it wouldn't have affected anything but Mr. Ilitch's pocketbook.

The team has struggled for a few years, but I don't remember the Wings ever taking such a beating in the eyes of the media and general public. Utterly pointless signing.  And the fact that it's for so much money and it's one way doesn't make sense to me.  If this were pure loyalty, it would've been under a million and two way. 

Cleary is here to actually play in the NHL, guys.  Good lord.

The only good thing is that I'll have more comedy material next season.

Dano is back, baby!   :lol:

We should start a drinking game.  Every time Cleary falls down without being pushed or touched, we take a drink.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#260 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Would not be surprised if this deal was made because Holland is working on a trade for a dman. Perhaps a roster player may be on the move? Who knows. Either that or he and Andersson will be keeping the pressbox warm for much of the season rather than having a guy like Jurco do it.

Except that we all know deep down that's never going to happen.  I was willing to give Holland the benefit of the doubt on the off-season so far, but this signing is just ridiculous.  Screw the "agreement" he had with Cleary last year.  The guy is useless.