• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#341 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

I respect Kenny for honoring his word on a verbal agreement.  I absolutely astonished and livid that he would make that verbal offer in the first place. 

Re-signing a healthy scratch???

My last thought...I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of the Red Wings methodology of keeping our young talent down in GR for many years until they are 100% NHL ready.  The parity that comes along with the salary cap is going to make this difficult.  Players now have a lot more options than they did previously.  The money is available in multiple destinations for free agents.  We are going to have to pay competitive market rates and even overpay in some instances for proven NHL'ers that fit a need....Kenny Holland is not used to ***-for-tat negotiating for players with other teams, he's pretty used to getting what he wants....which is the current problem.  The Wings used to get a lot of discounts on players because..."we are the freakin Detroit Red Wings and every player wants to play here".  With a salary cap, money talks and Minnesota looks just as appealing as Detroit these days if the contract $ to the player is similar.  You're no longer going to be able to stack your NHL roster to be playoff/Stanley Cup contenders, while keeping your young talent shelved in your farm system for years on end.  These young players are more-and-more going to have to learn their NHL game at the NHL level.  It's hard to imagine all of this young talent that we have and we are 1....not willing (or able as the new DC signing presents) to bring up to the NHL yet and 2....not willing to trade.  Unless, unless, your fan base is so loyal (or stupid) that they'll go through 10 bad years of hockey in hopes of building a future team from scratch from your farm system. 

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 11 July 2014 - 10:12 AM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#342 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Isn't there some sort of non-verbal commitment between the GM and the fans, owners, and other players on the roster that every year an attempt will be made to improve the on-ice product?  I mean, life if full of little non-verbal commitments between parties.  What makes this commitment so much more important?  Doesn't Ken feel honor bound to Zetterberg, Franzen, or Kronwall for taking discounts to give him all this cap space he keeps squandering?  Isn't there some commitment to give Babcock some semblance of a competitive roster?  Hell, I'd like to think he (as part of his contract signing process) gave his word to the Illitchs that, at the very least, he'd make a half hearted attempt to win championships.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#343 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

My dad noticed his new number last season and said, "If I were Cleary, I would have change my number and the name on the back of the jersey."

#344 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'll be astonished if Holland doesn't make this worse by trading either Tatar or Jurco for a defenseman that isn't worth it.  That's really the only way this could get worse, and I'll bef****** amazed if he doesn't make it worse. 

Prepare yourselves Detroit, it's DEFINITELY going to get worse.  We'll lose good talent for a defenseman on an expiring contract.  The loss of that talent, paired with injury, age, and mediocrity will mean we either miss the playoffs or lose early.  And then that defenseman will walk because we're not a good team. 

Bold prediction.

Edited by kipwinger, 11 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#345 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 52s

Dan Cleary's bonus is $1 million for 10 games played. #RedWings

This s*** just gets more and more comical, Dano is going to make 2.5 million next year :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#346 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 52s

This s*** just gets more and more comical, Dano is going to make 2.5 million next year :lol:

LOL. And apparently it counts against the cap too. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#347 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 52s

wow. 

so basically if he makes the team, he gets paid $2.5 million. 

This is just...  wow.

#348 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Ok, let me be clear. 

I think choosing an injured player, let alone an injured Red Wings player, is in poor taste.  Then when you make a post predicting that same player will get injured, taken along with your avatar picture it sure seems like you're hoping for it.  Or at least would enjoy it if it did happen. 

Because I'm not sure exactly why someone would choose an image of a Red Wings player in pain on the ice and use that as their avatar.   

In spite of all that though, you are actually saying you hope Dan Cleary remains healthy so he can play for the Wings? 

Cleary has brought this on himself. He shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL rink. If there was any other way to keep him off the ice and draggin this team down, then I would obviously prefer that option.

It's not like suggesting someone go and shatter his leg if they see him walking down the street. A pulled muscle from overworking himself isn't going to ruin his life.

But I'll flat out say it. I don't care if you personally think it's bad taste. At this point, if him getting hurt keeps him off the ice, so be it.

Edited by roboturner, 11 July 2014 - 10:50 AM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#349 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

So 1mil for 10 games. That is 100k per game. 20k capacity arena Wings fans pay $5 each to watch Cleary play. What a ripoff ! And that is just the bonus.

#350 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

guys, i think we're looking at this all wrong.... sure, kenny could've went out and spend 6 or 7 mill on a top six foward or top four d-man. BUT he got both for that price!! GM of the year.   :champs:

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#351 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

$2.5 million for a player with the same point total last season as Luke Glendening, who couldn't be less of an offensive threat. Not to mention, the other areas of the game where Glendening contributes and Cleary doesn't. 

Cleary will make the team and play ten games -- I think that's almost a guarantee with Holland running the show and Babs saying veterans get first crack, even though Cleary already lost his job to the kids last season. 

Ken Holland could have done nothing this summer and it would have been better than the mess he has now created. I know I'm definitely more excited to watch Kyle Quincey and Dan Cleary over Ryan Sproul and Tomas Jurco. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#352 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

So basically if Alfredsson re-signs Jurco is going down.

#353 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Brendan Morrow (13 G, 25 Pts last year) sign in Tampa for 1.55 million. And we got Cleary (8 freakin points) for 2.5 million?

In Kenny We...I can't, I just can't. With hindsight I can't believe that was the motto for so long.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#354 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

So basically if Alfredsson re-signs Jurco is going down.

Pretty much a guarantee but he'll be up as soon as the injury bug hits & his waiver exemption won't run out mid-season like Nyquist's did last year so expect to see him bouncing back & forth..  The bigger impact imo will be on Ferraro & Callahan now as their chances of making the team would effectively be 0%.  I still think one if not both of them will make it through waivers though so they will be retained.

#355 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hmmm, that feels a little like a baiting reply to me...

Nowhere in my post did I say I'm hoping Cleary will get injured.  I'm just flat out predicting that he will & it will happen early in the season.  Too much of a history of injuries the past handful of seasons & way too many miles.  I'll go on the record in fact on how I think this plays out...

• Around the week of 9/15, we'll start seeing media reports of Cleary not skating due to groin soreness
  • He'll try to go in the last pre-season game in Boston or maybe 2 of the last 3 and skate like his age matches his jersey #.  Yes, I'm assuming Alfie will be back so Dan will not skate like he's 11.
  • Despite struggling in the 1 or 2 pre-season games he appears in, he'll still make the team & Jurco winds up in GR.  I'll save this rant until another time but my theory is Cleary making the team has much more to do with Babcock than Kenny.
  • Danny looks terrible to start the season & after 3-4 games (around 10/15-17) we start seeing commentary on him being a warrior for playing through either what is thought to be a sports hernia or complications with his knees again.  HSJ will be the one leading the pack on those reports.
  • After a rather lopsided loss to either the Canadiens or the Pens the week of 10/21 where Cleary checks in with at least a -3 for the night with a couple of particularly boneheaded turnovers, he's put on the DL & Jurco is recalled.  
  • He tries to make an early return right after Thanksgiving & only lasts a few games before heading back to the DL.
  • Trade deadline day rolls around, there's no action from the Wings, & the board goes crazy when "The return of a healthy Dan Cleary and ... are our deadline acquisitions" ("and ..." being one of the following: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Franzen, my money's on Franzen) comes out of the mouth of Holland.  Much weeping & gnashing of teeth ensues.  
So in actuality, I'm hoping everyone stays healthy.  Given past history though, I'm expecting that won't happen & in Cleary's case, I'm expecting it to happen fairly quickly.  

Yep. My money is on this. Its too easy now...this is a no-brainer. I bet Vegas has odds on it.

#356 Hocketownwest

Hocketownwest

Rookie

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

So we get another year of skating into the zone, stopping half way in along the boards, turn to look for someone to pass the puck to and then watch as the puck starts heading the opposite way. Got it

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports. On September 25, 1926........--Dr. Perry Cox "My Chopped Liver" Scrubs

#357 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

So I couldn't bear to read through this entire thread, was it confirmed as a one-way deal or not?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#358 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

So I couldn't bear to read through this entire thread, was it confirmed as a one-way deal or not?

Yes, 2.5 mil total if he plays at least 10 games.
Posted Image

#359 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

I haven't heard definitively.  Malik says "yes".  But he's an idiot so I'm not sure. 

#360 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

I haven't heard definitively.  Malik says "yes".  But he's an idiot so I'm not sure. 

I was just reading his open letter to KH and he linked to the DRW post about the signing, but it didn't say whether it was a one-way deal or not.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid