• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#361 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

LEBRON JAMES IS GOING BACK TO CLEVELAND!!!

I just thought I'd keep you guys abreast of sports news not involving Daniel Cleary. 

Carry on. 

#362 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Ken Holland could have done nothing this summer and it would have been better than the mess he has now created.

This.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#363 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

So I couldn't bear to read through this entire thread, was it confirmed as a one-way deal or not?

I haven't heard solid confirmation, though someone mentioned earlier that you could only do a bonus structure on a one-way deal.  Not sure if that's true or not either.  

The fact that they haven't come out and said it's a two-way deal kinda makes me think it's a one way.  Holland has to know what the reaction would be if he released all at once that he re-signed Cleary to a one-way deal for potentially $2.5 million.

#364 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 52s

Dan Cleary's bonus is $1 million for 10 games played. #RedWings

This s*** just gets more and more comical, Dano is going to make 2.5 million next year :lol:

LOL!

#365 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Big whoop.  Future hall of famers come back to the Red Wings all the time.  Anybody remember a little free agent by the name of Mike Modano?  Detroit signing him and the Cavs signing Lebron are the EXACT same thing.  Nothing at all different about those two scenarios.  Kenny gets it done baby.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#366 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Big whoop.  Future hall of famers come back to the Red Wings all the time.  Anybody remember a little free agent by the name of Mike Modano?  Detroit signing him and the Cavs signing Lebron are the EXACT same thing.  Nothing at all different about those two scenarios.  Kenny gets it done baby.

To be fair, Holland did bring back Osgood and it did work out for us, just a little. Relating to Lebron James, not Dan Cleary. 

But to be clear, I am not defending Holland. I have never done that in my life, and I never will! 

#367 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Brendan Morrow (13 G, 25 Pts last year) sign in Tampa for 1.55 million. And we got Cleary (8 freakin points) for 2.5 million?

In Kenny We...I can't, I just can't. With hindsight I can't believe that was the motto for so long.

Maybe Morrow was one of the "I don't know why they're not coming here" crowd.  

I'd rather play in Tampa than for the Wings right now.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#368 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I haven't heard solid confirmation, though someone mentioned earlier that you could only do a bonus structure on a one-way deal.  Not sure if that's true or not either.  

The fact that they haven't come out and said it's a two-way deal kinda makes me think it's a one way.  Holland has to know what the reaction would be if he released all at once that he re-signed Cleary to a one-way deal for potentially $2.5 million.

"potentially" - read: probably.. oh. and don't forget the NTC.... not that it matters. just hope they don't come out and say it's actually a NMC *knocks on allll the wood*

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#369 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Apologies if this has been posted, but if Capgeek's twitter feed is correct, this keeps getting funnier. 

Daniel Cleary gets a $250K signing bonus and a NTC. #RedWings #NHL

"potentially" - read: probably.. oh. and don't forget the NTC.... not that it matters. just hope they don't come out and say it's actually a NMC *knocks on allll the wood*

yeah, I hadn't heard about the NTC yet.  It seriously is a staggeringly bad contract.

#370 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

5 years and not one major UFA signing although a lot of kicking the tires, saying A and doing B plus turning THE destination into a non destination.

Sometimes laughing is the best medicine and that's also exactly why I've wanted the streak to end at least ownership would then realize that changes are needed and move him up as VP only..

Major UFA signings: Weiss, Alfredsson, Dekeyser.

#371 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

The NTC doesn't matter.  Who would want Cleary anyway?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#372 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

He gets TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND Dollars just for signing it?! Let that sink in for a moment!!

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#373 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

The NTC doesn't matter.  Who would want Cleary anyway?

You're probably right.  But it's something GM's throw in that usually goes along in exchange for a lower salary.  Holland hands them out like mints after dinner.

#374 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team". 

I can see they really value the fans. 

Edited by ShanahanMan, 11 July 2014 - 01:10 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#375 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team". 

I can see they really value the fans. 

Wow. Seriously?

I can't believe the Red Wings ticket office thinks Billy Beane is the team's GM.

(But seriously that's totally absurd if true.)

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#376 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Capgeek reporting Cleary has a NTC.

The most unnecessary clause ever, ever, ever. Not even Snow is that stupid.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#377 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Wow. Seriously?

I can't believe the Red Wings ticket office thinks Billy Beane is the team's GM.

(But seriously that's totally absurd if true.)

Yep, and I'm apparently one of very few people who's had any complaints. 

If true, for god's sakes people, CALL AND MAKE YOUR OPINIONS HEARD OR THINGS WILL NOT CHANGE. 

Edited by ShanahanMan, 11 July 2014 - 01:21 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#378 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

It's not entirely true.  Bonuses may be applied to:

• Entry level contracts
  • For players who have played at least 400 NHL games who were injured for at least 100 calendar days the previous season.  The contract may only be for 1 year though.
  • 35+ contract again with the 1 year limit

There are no conditions locking out bonuses on 2 way contracts, given that the vast majority of ELCs are exactly that.  That said, all coverage I've seen has reported Cleary's as a 1 way deal.

#379 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

I try and be rational and look at both sides of things, but on this, I got nothing.  I don't care if they pinky swore, let him loose already.  I feel like this is Groundhog Day. 

#380 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Everyone had to know this would happen. Im still much more mad how bad the wings looked having to over pay to get quincey back. Regardless it is still another stupid move that should not have happened.