Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Speaking of not valuing fans.....

This from Art Regner's latest article:

http://msn.foxsports..._medium=twitter

The guy could just give two s***s about the fanbase. 

Holland's lying.

#422 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Did he also forget about what was said by his coach, his captain, and his other star players after being demolished by Boston?

Something along the lines of "We're not good enough" (Babs, I think) and "We need to get better" (Hank, I think) and "We want to compete for a Cup next year" (Pavel, I think)

I mean christ, take a freakin hint dude!!

Edited by roboturner, 11 July 2014 - 06:26 PM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#423 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Speaking of not valuing fans.....

This from Art Regner's latest article:

http://msn.foxsports..._medium=twitter

The guy could just give two s***s about the fanbase. 

I don't have a problem with him not worrying about the fans reactions.  Who knows what the team would look like if he listened to us fanatics. 

It bothers me that he puts it on the players and coach and deflects responsibility for the decision.  He's the friggin GM.  He not only has final say, he should be pretty damn good at assessing players as well. 

#424 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

So far we have quotes from Holland about the signing that say: (any others?)

"My program has been one of loyalty and there's good and bad that goes with that. Way more good, in my opinion."

"Who do I listen to on Cleary, the fans or the guys in the room, my players and my coach? Everybody wanted me to bring Cleary back." (This was last year by the way. You'd think he would have figured it out that this didn't work out so well!)

So the players and coach are making the signings and there's bad aspects of being loyal, but were gonna do it anyway cuz I'm just doing what they want...      Great Ken! Realf****** Great!

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

#425 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, "If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team". 

I can see they really value the fans. 

He called you and said that, or it's an email?

Wow! Wtf???

#426 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

This is the downside of being an original 6 franchise. If a team like St. Louis sucks for years and doesn't seem to improve, coaches, management heads are starting to roll because they need their fans, so a guy like Armstrong is doing everything in his power to provide them with a great team. If that guy would have given me such an arrogant response, my reply would have looked this: "Dear arrogant PR puppet, a disgruntled customer brings 49 other distruntled ones so shove you arrogant response somewhere else and thanks I'm going to cheer for whatever team I want to. This Email will be forwarded to my friends and other fans on the edge just to show them, what type of "classy" guys are working in that organisation..."

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 July 2014 - 07:36 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#427 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Recently, I was planning a bachelor's party for my brother to celebrate his upcoming nuptials.  As I was going down the list of people I needed to invite, I came across an interesting name.  Let's call him Stan Dearly. There are no obvious advantages to inviting Stan.  He's dumb, provides nothing of substance to any gathering, is not funny, interesting, or good natured.  He's also cheap, and wouldn't buy a round of beers if you held his feet over a fire.  In short, I hate Stan Dearly.  A lot.

But through some sort of cruel twist of fate, Stan Dearly is married to my sister.  I cannot, for the life of me, explain why someone as seemingly clear minded as my sister would marry Stan Dearly.  He is a fool.  She is not.  And so I chalk it up to god's will, and choose not to ask questions I can't answer, similar to when my pet turtle Bingo died when I was 7. 

I will have to invite Stan Dearly to that bachelor's party.  Despite every single inclination to the contrary, I have to do it.  If only to make my clearly misguided sister happy.  I'll hate every second of it.  He'll be dull, disinterested, and sleazy.  He'll spend too much time on his smart phone, and complain about the cigar smoke.  He'll try and test my patience in ways that should never have happened if there were any sort of fairness in this universe. 

And that's exactly how I feel about the Dan Cleary signing too. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#428 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Recently, I was planning a bachelor's party for my brother to celebrate his upcoming nuptials.  As I was going down the list of people I needed to invite, I came across an interesting name.  Let's call him Stan Dearly. There are no obvious advantages to inviting Stan.  He's dumb, provides nothing of substance to any gathering, is not funny, interesting, or good natured.  He's also cheap, and wouldn't buy a round of beers if you held his feet over a fire.  In short, I hate Stan Dearly.  A lot.

But through some sort of cruel twist of fate, Stan Dearly is married to my sister.  I cannot, for the life of me, explain why someone as seemingly clear minded as my sister would marry Stan Dearly.  He is a fool.  She is not.  And so I chalk it up to god's will, and choose not to ask questions I can't answer, similar to when my pet turtle Bingo died when I was 7. 

I will have to invite Stan Dearly to that bachelor's party.  Despite every single inclination to the contrary, I have to do it.  If only to make my clearly misguided sister happy.  I'll hate every second of it.  He'll be dull, disinterested, and sleazy.  He'll spend too much time on his smart phone, and complain about the cigar smoke.  He'll try and test my patience in ways that should never have happened if there were any sort of fairness in this universe. 

And that's exactly how I feel about the Dan Cleary signing too. 

Maybe Cleary is married to Holland's sister

#429 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Maybe Cleary is married to Holland's sister

Maybe Cleary is his sister... Talk about a plot twist... Mind blown!

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#430 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

Remember after the '13 playoffs, and even though we had just dropped a 3-1 series lead against the hawks, thinking "well at least next year we can improve by not having Cleary on the team"....

Does Cleary not realize that he is making everybody hate him? He could have retired after that season and been remember as a warrior and contributor for his time with the Wings.

Now the only thing main thing people are are going to remember about him is this f***in debacle two years in a row.

He'll be remembered as the guy who made the wings worse because he was too selfish to just hang them up.

He better hope like hell that this isn't the year they miss the playoffs because he will be the scapegoat for a LONG time (as well as Holland, he hasn't thought about his impending legacy as the guy who f***ed up the great Red Wings either)

#431 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Remember after the '13 playoffs, and even though we had just dropped a 3-1 series lead against the hawks, thinking "well at least next year we can improve by not having Cleary on the team"....

Does Cleary not realize that he is making everybody hate him? He could have retired after that season and been remember as a warrior and contributor for his time with the Wings.

Now the only thing main thing people are are going to remember about him is this f***in debacle two years in a row.
He'll be remembered as the guy who made the wings worse because he was too selfish to just hang them up.
He better hope like hell that this isn't the year they miss the playoffs because he will be the scapegoat for a LONG time (as well as Holland, he hasn't thought about his impending legacy as the guy who f***ed up the great Red Wings either)

I don't hate Cleary as much as I hate Holland for making me hate a player I used to really like.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#432 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I don't hate Cleary as much as I hate Holland for making me hate a player I used to really like.

I remember thinking a while back, maybe 8-10 years ago or so, wanting a Cleary jersey. I can't stand his face anymore and I'm glad I didn't make that decision. f*** you Kenny, I hate you more than the person who stole my bike as a child.

#433 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

Cleary is a competitor.  What made him great for those years is the same thing that makes him not want to quit now.  I can't fault a guy for wanting to play for the Red Wings for another year.  

If Cleary makes the team it's because the GM who gave him this contract and his coach decided he should have a spot over younger players.  That's not Cleary's fault.  It's not his responsibility to decline a job with the Red Wings because the GM can no longer evaluate talent effectively. 

I don't think he should've been offered a contract but if the Wings make the playoffs or not, I blame Cleary for nothing.  

#434 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

Cleary is a competitor.  What made him great for those years is the same thing that makes him not want to quit now.  I can't fault a guy for wanting to play for the Red Wings for another year.  

If Cleary makes the team it's because the GM who gave him this contract and his coach decided he should have a spot over younger players.  That's not Cleary's fault.  It's not his responsibility to decline a job with the Red Wings because the GM can no longer evaluate talent effectively. 

I don't think he should've been offered a contract but if the Wings make the playoffs or not, I blame Cleary for nothing.  

Lidstrom was a competitor, hell all pro athletes are. You don't get to that level without being one. Knowing when to walk away is one thing he definitely didn't learn from Nick. I don't blame him completely, but he can't be so blind to think he can still hack it on this team.

#435 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Lidstrom was a competitor, hell all pro athletes are. You don't get to that level without being one. Knowing when to walk away is one thing he definitely didn't learn from Nick. I don't blame him completely, but he can't be so blind to think he can still hack it on this team.

Idk about u, but if I had made the big leagues I woulda milked every second out of playing for the wings. Especially if the GM was giving 2.5 million too. Sure beats retiring

#436 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

The Perfect Human is a tough example for anyone to follow.  Lidstrom went out a step slower but still near the top of his game. 

For all we know Cleary may want to come back because he knows he was terrible last season and doesn't want to go out that way. 

Like I said, it's not Cleary's job to decide whether or not he should be on the team.  

#437 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

Last time was almost totally on Cleary. He was offered a 3-year deal by Ken, turned it down....and then came crawling back cuz his heart was still in Detroit? If that was the case he would have signed the first deal. It was only when he found out that every other team thinks he is worthless that he came back cuz his 'heart' was here.

And this time around he won't give it up because of some 'handshake' deal that was made last time. He actually thinks he deserves special treatment after that god-awful season he had because of that 'handshake'.

As much as I blame Holland for signing him (and I do quite a bit, for he has total power to just walk away and not sign him), even he knows what a bad deal this is. Already he's trying to pawn it off on players/coach & good/bad loyalty quotes.

I can't be certain who initiated these talks but I'm sure his agent wasn't going to stop letting Holland know about that 'handshake'. And Holland to his greatest fault went for it.

I know monetary wise it'd be stupid to turn it down, but all this talk of his 'leadership' is bulls*** because the guy isn't a leader. He's a hound chasing a squirrel. One of your 'team leaders' shouldn't be dragging the team down, especially if that is literally the only supposed thing he brings to the table. If he was truly a team leader he would be doing what is best for the team, and whats best for the team is him off of it.

#438 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Last time was almost totally on Cleary. He was offered a 3-year deal by Ken, turned it down....and then came crawling back cuz his heart was still in Detroit? If that was the case he would have signed the first deal. It was only when he found out that every other team thinks he is worthless that he came back cuz his 'heart' was here.

And this time around he won't give it up because of some 'handshake' deal that was made last time. He actually thinks he deserves special treatment after that god-awful season he had because of that 'handshake'.

As much as I blame Holland for signing him (and I do quite a bit, for he has total power to just walk away and not sign him), even he knows what a bad deal this is. Already he's trying to pawn it off on players/coach & good/bad loyalty quotes.

I can't be certain who initiated these talks but I'm sure his agent wasn't going to stop letting Holland know about that 'handshake'. And Holland to his greatest fault went for it.

I know monetary wise it'd be stupid to turn it down, but all this talk of his 'leadership' is bulls*** because the guy isn't a leader. He's a hound chasing a squirrel. One of your 'team leaders' shouldn't be dragging the team down, especially if that is literally the only supposed thing he brings to the table. If he was truly a team leader he would be doing what is best for the team, and whats best for the team is him off of it.

First off, I don't like this signing anymore than you.

Second, you're making up facts, unless I'm completely unaware.

He turned down a three year deal? He had a tryout with Philly, and said afterwards I'd rather be in Detroit (who wouldn't :))

He's trying to pawn it the signing off on others? Please link to this bc I'm completely unaware of this Cleary audacity.

Lastly, questioning his role in the lockeroom is dumb. Mostly bc none of us know what it is, but also bc his continued re-signing probably also suggests we do not understand the full dynamics of that lockeroom and his roll in it.

Again, I don't like the signing either. But exaggerating the cleary hatred has become beyond annoying at this point. The guy is bad, but he's not satan himself.

Edited by number9, 11 July 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#439 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

First off, I don't like this signing anymore than you.

Second, you're making up facts, unless I'm completely unaware.

He turned down a three year deal? He had a tryout with Philly, and said afterwards I'd rather be in Detroit (who wouldn't :))

He's trying to pawn it the signing off on others? Please link to this bc I'm completely unaware of this Cleary audacity.

Lastly, questioning his role in the lockeroom is dumb. Mostly bc none of us know what it is, but also bc his continued re-signing probably also suggests we do not understand the full dynamics of that lockeroom and his roll in it.

Again, I don't like the signing either. But exaggerating the cleary hatred has become beyond annoying at this point. The guy is bad, but he's not satan himself.

It's well known cleary turned down a 3 year deal from the wings originally, claiming he didn't think the contract would pay him what he thought he was worth.

I think he only turned down the Philly deal cause he knew they would have pulled there offer after seeing him zamboni the ice with his jersey at training camp

#440 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

It's well known cleary turned down a 3 year deal from the wings originally, claiming he didn't think the contract would pay him what he thought he was worth.
I think he only turned down the Philly deal cause he knew they would have pulled there offer after seeing him zamboni the ice with his jersey at training camp

Do we know the details of that offer? Obviously he preferred to sign a a 1 year deal with us. The rest of my points remain the same.