• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#481 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Still don't understand the difference, do you?

Again, I was bending over backwards here. First he used the word speculating so I used the word speculating to answer him (and even explained that it wasn't mindless; that it comes from other known info. But hey, go ahead & just keep ignoring that!). Then he used reaching, so I used reaching to answer him. Simple as that.

So you ARE speculating, but NOT reaching?

#482 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

ok folks, let's please get back on topic about this great off season acquisition by Holland.  

#483 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

ok folks, let's please get back on topic about this great off season acquisition by Holland.  

This makes me need to resurrect an oldie but goodie.

baghdad_bob_wings1_zps9831000d.jpg

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#484 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

So let me understand this... $1.5M, $250K signing bonus and $1M after 10 games played.... $2.75M? For Dan Cleary? Talk about a grossly overpaid UFA...Unless this is part of a grand plan, I am infuriated...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#485 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

I wish the mods would shut this thread down. Everyday I log on with a sense of renewed optimism, and everyday I see this thread title and that optimism drops back down into the s***ter.

Edited by wings87, 14 July 2014 - 11:33 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#486 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

If the Wings don't re-sign Alfie, and Cleary stays on the bench with Glendening and we can field this lineup I'll be happy with the offense.  The defense, of course, will still blow. 

Z-Dats-Jurco

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha

Miller-Helm-Abby

That's not a terrible front 12.  Especially when you consider the big bodies that you've just brought into the lineup.  If it were up to me I'd do the same with Sproul and Marchenko too, but I realize that's asking too much. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#487 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

If the Wings don't re-sign Alfie, and Cleary stays on the bench with Glendening and we can field this lineup I'll be happy with the offense.  The defense, of course, will still blow. 

Z-Dats-Jurco

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha

Miller-Helm-Abby

That's not a terrible front 12.  Especially when you consider the big bodies that you've just brought into the lineup.  If it were up to me I'd do the same with Sproul and Marchenko too, but I realize that's asking too much. 

I agree with you kip that that is a decent top 12. But: 

The thing I reckon is that Mantha definitely won't start in the NHL. Even if he blows people away. It's not the Wings way, and while we haven't had this hyped a prospect in a while, I still don't think they'd just throw him right in there. And they'd keep Jurco in the NHL before having Mantha start the year in Detroit I think. 

Then, I think Jurco would drop down back to the kid line, and who knows what happens with the top line. I have a strong feeling Alfie will return, and be put on that top line.

temp 1

#488 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I agree with you kip that that is a decent top 12. But: 

The thing I reckon is that Mantha definitely won't start in the NHL. Even if he blows people away. It's not the Wings way, and while we haven't had this hyped a prospect in a while, I still don't think they'd just throw him right in there. And they'd keep Jurco in the NHL before having Mantha start the year in Detroit I think. 

Then, I think Jurco would drop down back to the kid line, and who knows what happens with the top line. I have a strong feeling Alfie will return, and be put on that top line.

I agree.  I was speaking in the ideal sense.  Of course Alfie will come back.  Of course Andersson and/or Glendening will be in the lineup, and of course Cleary will get his bonus.  I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things and get away from "Holland sucks".  But then I realize that Babs will surely give roster spots to guys who "are everydayers", despite their skill level or whether they address a need and I'm forced to think "Babcock sucks". 

I just can't win. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#489 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I agree.  I was speaking in the ideal sense.  Of course Alfie will come back.  Of course Andersson and/or Glendening will be in the lineup, and of course Cleary will get his bonus.  I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things and get away from "Holland sucks".  But then I realize that Babs will surely give roster spots to guys who "are everydayers", despite their skill level or whether they address a need and I'm forced to think "Babcock sucks". 

I just can't win. 

Sorry. Guess I didn't realise you were talking about an ideal scenario. I think in 15-16 that's what we will probably see, but I too would be happy if that materialised this year.

temp 1

#490 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

With our current roster and hoping Jurco bumps Cleary, I'd like to see this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Mantha

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen (by default..damn it!)

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Helm - Glendening - Abdelkader

Miller/Andersson

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Ericsson

Kindl - #KFQ (just because I don't want either of them bringing down the top 4 guys)

Lashoff

I am still worried about the fates of Ferraro and Callahan.  Last year is the year they should have been seeing the injury time (because the kids should've started in Detroit in place of Cleary, Bert and Sammy.) Even now, with too many forwards they probably won't get a shot here and will be lost to waivers.  Either way, it really insults them and will weigh heavy on whether or not the re-sign now or when they are FA's again, if they make it through waivers this season.  They will probably re-sign two year deals and they will still be RFA's when they are up.  I just hope we can find someway of using them or getting value for them. I hate losing players for nothing...its like paying overdraft fees at the bank, just give it away!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#491 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Neither of Callahan or Ferraro looked ready. Ferraro was considered close to a bust already and got a last ditch shot, I think. Callahan still has a ways to go to be NHL-ready. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#492 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

With our current roster and hoping Jurco bumps Cleary, I'd like to see this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Mantha

Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen (by default..damn it!)

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Helm - Glendening - Abdelkader

Miller/Andersson

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Ericsson

Kindl - #KFQ (just because I don't want either of them bringing down the top 4 guys)

Lashoff

I am still worried about the fates of Ferraro and Callahan.  Last year is the year they should have been seeing the injury time (because the kids should've started in Detroit in place of Cleary, Bert and Sammy.) Even now, with too many forwards they probably won't get a shot here and will be lost to waivers.  Either way, it really insults them and will weigh heavy on whether or not the re-sign now or when they are FA's again, if they make it through waivers this season.  They will probably re-sign two year deals and they will still be RFA's when they are up.  I just hope we can find someway of using them or getting value for them. I hate losing players for nothing...its like paying overdraft fees at the bank, just give it away!

Sorry to be picky, but that 4th line is just all out of sorts for me.

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening (is what it should be)

LH winger - LH center (better than Luke) - RH center (whose played a lot of RW)

Otherwise I agree on the lineup, as long as Mantha is immediately worthy of 1st line duties and Alfredsson can't play.

#493 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Didn't see this posted.

Daniel Cleary motivated by Red Wings fans' disapproval of his return

Detroit — Daniel Cleary doesn’t live on social media.

And that might be a good thing.

Since last week, social media have been ablaze with fans dumbfounded by the Red Wings re-signing the forward to a one-year contract worth $1.5 million (with the potential for $1 million in bonuses).

“That’s just the way it is these days,” Cleary said. “There are going to be opinions on everything. You can’t let it affect you, and I don’t.

“People are going to say whatever they want, and especially about pro sports. You can’t let it get to you.”

Cleary doesn’t.

But don’t think for a second it doesn’t add a bit more fuel to Cleary’s offseason workouts as he hopes to rebound from a disappointing season (eight points, four goals, 52 games) cut short by a knee injury.

“You want to prove people wrong,” said Cleary, who is working with Plymouth-based trainer Mike Barwis. “My main objective is get healthy and play the way I know I can. Last year was a tough year.”

Cleary was an unsigned free agent as teams headed to training camp last season. But as camps began, he had an offer from the Panthers and a tryout with the Flyers, who also were pitching a three-year deal worth $8.25 million.

But nothing felt as right.

“I’m a Red Wing, and I wanted to be part of this organization,” Cleary said.

So, Cleary flew to Traverse City and met with general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock, and agreed to a deal.

And there was a promise by the Red Wings the sides would work something out this summer, too.

“He’s a player the coaches and his teammates like, and wanted him back,” Holland said. “He’s one of the leaders.”

So, Holland is living up to his end of the deal. But he also believes Cleary can rebound and be the versatile, productive player he had been.

“Dan had a tough season,” Holland said. “But he’s working hard, and we’re hopeful he’ll bounce back.”

Cleary was thankful for the opportunity to return — this will be his 10th season with the Red Wings — and an opportunity at a “bounce-back” year, a term Cleary uses often.

He also understands a spot in lineup isn’t a given. He essentially could be the 14th forward on a roster to start the season.

“But that’s always the way it is, there’s always competition,” Cleary said.

“Mike has always been consistent about that, about using who is playing well. Nothing will change.”

#494 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Honestly, while I was upset with the whole "10 games for the bonus" deal, I see it as a positive now. I'd rather Dan play his 10 games and the team not have to feel obligated to play him for 25-30 to get his money. Best case scenario if Dan plays poorly - he gets his 10 games in, then rides the pine.

I still don't like the deal, but I guess I see a silver lining with the number of games he'll play to earn the bonus.

#495 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

There is no silver lining to this contract. He's done. He's been done for two years.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#496 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

i would like a 1 million $ bonus for showing up to work for 10 days too

My wish: A healthy roster

#497 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Z-Dats-Jurco

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha

Miller-Helm-Abby

I've been thinking along these same lines (pun). I get that it's top-six-or-the-farm for Mantha in people's eyes, but Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco's basically a sheltered scoring line, a young two-way pivot flanked by two young goal-scoring wingers. In theory (and, admittedly, it's probably a stretch), Mantha - in for Jurco - would keep that basic dynamic. And I've loved the idea of Jurco with Z and D for some time now.

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist is, I think, pretty much an inevitability. I'm not crazy about it, but if Weiss can be the player he was for the Panthers, or even just somewhere close to that, it should work well. Chemistry might be an issue, but Nyquist seems to be able to excel alongside anyone, especially fellow Swedes. Miller-Helm-Abdelkader is probably my ideal fourth line, but I feel like Callahan in for Miller or for Abdelkader (preferably the former, I guess) would be good for us.

(Cleary sux)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#498 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

i would like a 1 million $ bonus for showing up to work for 10 days too

Ha! Well said.

To me, it says Holland knows Cleary is done but feels *just awful* about *cheating* Cleary out of that *big contract* he was *guaranteed* by the Flyers and is now simply trying to give the man money.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#499 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

Ha! Well said.

To me, it says Holland knows Cleary is done but feels *just awful* about *cheating* Cleary out of that *big contract* he was *guaranteed* by the Flyers and is now simply trying to give the man money.

Add me to that list :-)

Anyways, Khan talked about that on 105.1 and he stated Cleary never had a contract like that. The Flyers offered only offered him a chance and he basically had to beat out some of their guys in training camp to even earn a roster spot and a contract on that team.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#500 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

ugh

Edited by TimeBinder, 19 July 2014 - 09:05 AM.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.