• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#501 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I've been thinking along these same lines (pun). I get that it's top-six-or-the-farm for Mantha in people's eyes, but Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco's basically a sheltered scoring line, a young two-way pivot flanked by two young goal-scoring wingers. In theory (and, admittedly, it's probably a stretch), Mantha - in for Jurco - would keep that basic dynamic. And I've loved the idea of Jurco with Z and D for some time now.

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist is, I think, pretty much an inevitability. I'm not crazy about it, but if Weiss can be the player he was for the Panthers, or even just somewhere close to that, it should work well. Chemistry might be an issue, but Nyquist seems to be able to excel alongside anyone, especially fellow Swedes. Miller-Helm-Abdelkader is probably my ideal fourth line, but I feel like Callahan in for Miller or for Abdelkader (preferably the former, I guess) would be good for us.

(Cleary sux)

I like where your head is at with Mantha on the third with Tatar and Sheahan. I don't know if Jurco is ready for the top 6, but if we're doing a ten game experiment with Cleary, why not not see if Jurco can pull the piano for Datsyuk? I also like the idea of Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha, as a third line, just because of the size on that line. I don't know where Tatar would go, though.

#502 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I like where your head is at with Mantha on the third with Tatar and Sheahan. I don't know if Jurco is ready for the top 6, but if we're doing a ten game experiment with Cleary, why not not see if Jurco can pull the piano for Datsyuk? I also like the idea of Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha, as a third line, just because of the size on that line. I don't know where Tatar would go, though.

I dunno, I feel like if Z and D are his linemates and his job is mostly to create space and drive the net, Jurco would be just fine on the top line. That's the thing, though - I'd want him with at least one of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I wouldn't put him with, say, Franzen and Weiss.

I think I'd take Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha over Jurco with Shahan and Mantha because 1) Jurco and Mantha are both best suited for the right side while Tatar is best suited for the left, and 2) Tatar is the possession driver that makes the whole thing (keeping the puck in the o-zone) work. Jurco's size and strength might make things easier for Mantha, though, and I like the idea of Tatar in the top six, as long as he's with at least one of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Of course, this is all probably moot. Mantha is likely spending most of the season on the farm (a good call) and Cleary's a lock for the first line and Hall of Fame (duh).

Don't Toews me, bro!

#503 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

don't mean to bump this, but just put Dan Cleary's equipment, sticks and golf clubs on a flight to Denver... I was so hoping to log in here a see that he was dealt to the Avs...oh well...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#504 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

don't mean to bump this, but just put Dan Cleary's equipment, sticks and golf clubs on a flight to Denver... I was so hoping to log in here a see that he was dealt to the Avs...oh well...

I'm pretty sure he's got a ntc

#505 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm pretty sure he's got a ntc

ya...but one could hope...

#506 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

I'm confused...Do you work at the airport?

Edit: Sorry, I guess I don't get that one.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 31 August 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#507 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 392 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

I'm confused...Do you work at the airport?

I'd like to think he's playing a prank and Cleary is not going to Denver.

#508 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yes, I work for THE major airline at DTW.  Yes Dan Cleary went to Denver, but it was NOT in a trade.  He was on a flight I was working.  He took his Golf Clubs, Equipment Bag, Sticks and of course regular suitcase.  I was just excited for a minute HOPING to log on here and see that a trade package had been made. (even though I know he has a NTC, but like I said, one could wish! :lol:

I am assuming that he is probably doing something in the Denver area for charity or just going to skate with some others while he is out there. When I bumped this thread I was half way making fun, even though he did go to Denver....just not traded. (as far as we know yet! :lol: ) Maybe he is out there taking a physical and seeing if Colorado wants him.  Maybe he waived his NTC to go to the Avs.  Like I said, one can wish, right? :P 

#509 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

You left out the part where you went running after him, pen and paper in hand, screaming "Danny, Danny!" trying to get an autograph.

We know how much you love your Danny Cleary.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#510 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

:lol: Fortunately I didn't have to look at him from below the wing.  He was riding in style in 1st class though!

In all seriousness, it would be great to have him return to a better form. I do wish for nothing but the best for all of our players...yes, even Franzen.  But if there wasn't someone to complain about how fun would debates be?

BTW, in my 25 years at Metro, and meeting hundreds and hundreds of players (NHL, NBA and NFL)(especially in the early to mid 90's when only two NHL teams had planes and the rest all flew Northwest (#screw Delta)) the ONLY player I wanted an autograph from (and got) was #24 Bob Probert! 

Oh, and Rowdy Roddy Piper!

Edited by LeftWinger, 01 September 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#511 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Not much new info.

http://www.mlive.com...niel_clear.html

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#512 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

I think it is a pretty regular thing (training in Vail, Colorado this time of year) for several players like Crosby, Duschene, MacKinnon, Stamkos, E. Johnson, Cleary as well..in the past.

I know Crosby is/was there during this time as it was made pretty public (Ottawa paper reported he was arrested in Ottawa....which was quickly retracted as he was in Colorado at the time).

#513 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

From the article: General manager Ken Holland kept a promise he made to Cleary during last year's training camp by re-signing him, a move met with overwhelming disapproval by the fan base. But Holland and coach Mike Babcock are big supporters of Cleary.

I have to say, I find it interesting how so many people s*** all over Holland for the Cleary signing, but you never hear a bad thing about Babcock when its pretty evident that Babcock wanted the signing as well.

Dont get me wrong, I wish Holland never made Cleary the promise he did last year, but it is what it is.

#514 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

From the article: General manager Ken Holland kept a promise he made to Cleary during last year's training camp by re-signing him, a move met with overwhelming disapproval by the fan base. But Holland and coach Mike Babcock are big supporters of Cleary.

I have to say, I find it interesting how so many people s*** all over Holland for the Cleary signing, but you never hear a bad thing about Babcock when its pretty evident that Babcock wanted the signing as well.

Dont get me wrong, I wish Holland never made Cleary the promise he did last year, but it is what it is.

Really?  Multiple times in many threads people have placed most of the blame on Babcock, saying he fought for Cleary to be here.  

Babcock is obviously a fan.  Cleary is fearless and goes to the net like few players on the Wings do.  Multiple times it's been cited that Babcock, the players, and Holland wanted Cleary back.  But Holland is the one ultimately responsible for the roster. 

Also, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

#515 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Haha, I knew Harold would be all over this one.  I was just waiting to see how long it took.  You didn't disappoint.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#516 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

Haha, I knew Harold would be all over this one.  I was just waiting to see how long it took.  You didn't disappoint.

:lol:  It is a pet peeve.  It's like blaming Holland for a player's ice time.  He has an opinion in how players should be utilized but it's ultimately not his call.

Even if someone disagrees whose fault it is, there's certainly no disputing that Babcock has gotten plenty of flack for the Cleary signing here.  

#517 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

They should both be kicked in the nuts for it.  The team could have given Danny Boy a nice cushy job as VP of Cheerleading or something else and paid him without taking up a roster spot and cap space.  The guy's knees are shot, he needs to get over it and retire.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#518 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

They should both be kicked in the nuts for it.  The team could have given Danny Boy a nice cushy job as VP of Cheerleading or something else and paid him without taking up a roster spot and cap space.  The guy's knees are shot, he needs to get over it and retire.

Surely you aren't seeing things very Cleary

This team could use a few more heart and soul Danny-boys

#519 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

Really?  Multiple times in many threads people have placed most of the blame on Babcock, saying he fought for Cleary to be here.  

Babcock is obviously a fan.  Cleary is fearless and goes to the net like few players on the Wings do.  Multiple times it's been cited that Babcock, the players, and Holland wanted Cleary back.  But Holland is the one ultimately responsible for the roster. 

Also, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

There is thread after thread of people absolutely bashing Holland and saying he needs to go, but I haven't read a single post saying that Babcock needs to be fired. There are some putting him down, but not like Holland. But to be fair I dont read every post in every thread.

I 100% agree with you that Holland is responsible for the roster, my point wasn't that Babcock deserves blame (I get why they signed Cleary, a promise was made last year, and the Wings kept their word). The point I was trying to make is that people are so quick to jump down Hollands throat in comparison to others because that seems to be the thing to do right now.

In all seriousness, my apologies for circumventing the profanity filter. I have seen people do it in a number of threads and I thought it was allowed.

Edited by kliq, 09 September 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#520 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

My father always buys me a couple really nice seats to the games for my birthday gift. I had to tell him not to buy anything related to the Red Wings do the signings that Holland has made.

Edited by Vladiator, 10 September 2014 - 12:55 AM.