• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

anthonyn66

Wings re-sign Cleary $1.5 mill + $1mill in game bonuses

Rate this topic

I have no doubt that Babcock and Holland chat now and then about potential player moves and Babcock provides input, etc. However, beyond that, I have no idea how much influence Babcock actually has on the players that make it to the team at the end of the day. He may have a lot of influence, he may have very little. The fact of the matter is, no one on this site knows how much or how little influence he has either (unless you or someone you are close with is part of the GM's office).

Same could be said about final roster. Typically the GM brings in the players and then it's the coaches job to pick the final roster from that overall group of players and then also make call up decisions when needed, etc. The GM is obviously going to have some input in that process, but again, how little or how much is likely not known by most.

You can try and minimize my point all you want. Of course none of us really know the inner workings of the Red Wings organization. But to think that a GM doesn't ask his head coach what he wants, who he wants, and who he could do without, and that, that doesn't heavily influence the players he chases is kind of insane.

Obama might be at the head of the Military, but when there's a battle to be fought he doesn't just go buy some tanks and send them, he asks his general(s) what they need/want and acts accordingly.

Holland and all his scouts can sit down and agree that the team needs more 4th line fighter types... but if Babcock won't play a guy like that then there's no sense in signing one despite what you and your personnel tell yourselves.

It'd be like commissioning a sculptor to make a work of art for you, and then giving him paints and oils to work with. The guy might be a real good artist, but that piece is gonna suck.

If I'm Holland, Babs has a ton of sway in my personnel choices. Now his needs/wants may not be feasible due to availability of players, financial concerns, and my long-term vision for the team, but I'd do my best to cater to my coach within those limitations.

EDIT: Managment also consults Datsyuk and Zetterberg on players as well. Fischer mentioned recently that after training camp they're going to hear boths opinions on Mantha. Holland is not some insane puppeteer. There's a giant organization of guidance and opinions beneath him.

Edited by number9

EDIT: Managment also consults Datsyuk and Zetterberg on players as well. Fischer mentioned recently that after training camp they're going to hear boths opinions on Mantha. Holland is not some insane puppeteer. There's a giant organization of guidance and opinions beneath him.

Agreed, but I would add that there is probably opinions above him as well. I would be shocked if Ilitch didnt give his 2 cents every once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way calling Ilitch a Jerry Jones, or a guy who doesn't allow his people to do their jobs, but like you said, its a giant organization with ALOT of people.