• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#501 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I've been thinking along these same lines (pun). I get that it's top-six-or-the-farm for Mantha in people's eyes, but Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco's basically a sheltered scoring line, a young two-way pivot flanked by two young goal-scoring wingers. In theory (and, admittedly, it's probably a stretch), Mantha - in for Jurco - would keep that basic dynamic. And I've loved the idea of Jurco with Z and D for some time now.

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist is, I think, pretty much an inevitability. I'm not crazy about it, but if Weiss can be the player he was for the Panthers, or even just somewhere close to that, it should work well. Chemistry might be an issue, but Nyquist seems to be able to excel alongside anyone, especially fellow Swedes. Miller-Helm-Abdelkader is probably my ideal fourth line, but I feel like Callahan in for Miller or for Abdelkader (preferably the former, I guess) would be good for us.

(Cleary sux)

I like where your head is at with Mantha on the third with Tatar and Sheahan. I don't know if Jurco is ready for the top 6, but if we're doing a ten game experiment with Cleary, why not not see if Jurco can pull the piano for Datsyuk? I also like the idea of Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha, as a third line, just because of the size on that line. I don't know where Tatar would go, though.

#502 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I like where your head is at with Mantha on the third with Tatar and Sheahan. I don't know if Jurco is ready for the top 6, but if we're doing a ten game experiment with Cleary, why not not see if Jurco can pull the piano for Datsyuk? I also like the idea of Jurco, Sheahan, Mantha, as a third line, just because of the size on that line. I don't know where Tatar would go, though.

I dunno, I feel like if Z and D are his linemates and his job is mostly to create space and drive the net, Jurco would be just fine on the top line. That's the thing, though - I'd want him with at least one of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I wouldn't put him with, say, Franzen and Weiss.

I think I'd take Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha over Jurco with Shahan and Mantha because 1) Jurco and Mantha are both best suited for the right side while Tatar is best suited for the left, and 2) Tatar is the possession driver that makes the whole thing (keeping the puck in the o-zone) work. Jurco's size and strength might make things easier for Mantha, though, and I like the idea of Tatar in the top six, as long as he's with at least one of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Of course, this is all probably moot. Mantha is likely spending most of the season on the farm (a good call) and Cleary's a lock for the first line and Hall of Fame (duh).

Don't Toews me, bro!