• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#141 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Any word on if we were lucky enough to get a NMC worked in?

All Ken Holland contracts have an implied NMC...

#142 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Holland: "We're hoping Dan Cleary can bounce back. He'll be good insurance. He'll have to beat people out to be in the lineup."

Anyone buying it? No? Didn't think so..

Edited by amato, 10 July 2014 - 05:07 PM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#143 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

From FlashyG

P3XYB8E.gif

I can't get over this ahahaha

what about the night of the roxbury one

#144 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

What makes me the most infuriated with this signing is Holland doesnt seem to be making this move to better the team. Hes doing it to basically give his buddy a free paycheck and keep a promise that shouldnt have been made. Kind of like if your own a place and your kind of forced to give a job to a cousin, in law, or friend even though they arent qualified but because they are family/friends. You know they wont improve the workplace but it makes your conscience feel good by doing it. 

#145 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Sorry if thats not 100% what you meant. Thats just how I comprehended your post. This signing is holding the team back though. Signings like these have held the team back the last couple years. The Wings already have guys that fill Cleary's role. There is no need to bring him in. Id rather have Jurco playing top minutes in GR and then getting the call when players inevitably get hurt. 50+ games in GR and then 30 or so in the NHL will do loads more for his development at this stage than 80+ in GR. Having Cleary on the roster just adds another body he has to jump through even though hes proved hes a better player right now.

In the end just look at last season. We often had guys like Sammy and Bert sitting in the press box while they were passed over and kids got the call up. I see this season being no different. Cleary's competition is with being scratched, not with the kids who can play in GR. If/when Cleary stinks it up, and a roster spot needs to be filled for a game, I would bet money that Jurco would get the call up over him. 

Once again, I don't like the signing. But every team needs bench warmers. 

#146 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

If I did as bad a job as Ken Holland over the last few years at my workplace I'd have been fired about seven times by now.

Remember, Kenny gets paid a hell of a lot of money to supposedly make this team better. What has he done to make it better since Lidstrom retired? What part of his actual job has he done besides sit on his hands and take the easy options time and time again? This team has SCRAPED into the playoffs for two seasons running and his response is to re-sign two of the worst players and give himself a pat on the back?

I've said it so many times over the years and I'll keep saying it in stronger terms with every ridiculous move he makes. Ken Holland is a fraud. Without Håkan Andersson he would have been found out years ago. This roster is his product, the Franzen contract will be his legacy, and it'll be a miracle if we keep the playoff streak alive with a weaker and somehow OLDER roster than before.

Bottom line: Holland has failed year after year to replace Lidstrom and Holmstrom. His signings in the last few years have been nothing short of laughable. There is loyalty to players but more importantly is loyalty to the fans to do his job and create the best roster in his power to compete for the Stanley Cup.

The complacency is infuriating.

What has he done to make the team better since 2009?!?

Again, I'll give him all the credit even for drafting well, though even the most objective supporter knows you can't give one guy all the credit for drafting well. But even giving him ALL OF THE CREDIT FOR DRAFTING WELL, he still deserves to be fired for everything else that he's done and failed to do over the last five years.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#147 Supface

Supface

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Obligatory:

#148 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Guys it gets worse....

"He's a guy the coaching staff likes, his teammates like. He's a leader in the room. He can play left wing/right wing, can go on the power play."

(Here's the article if anyone wants it: http://www.mlive.com...forward_2.html)

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#149 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

I'm not completely opposed to bringing Cleary back, but at $1.5m? Seriously? I mean he brings depth, leadership, blah, blah, blah... 

If I was Riley Sheahan I would be pissed, since he's going to absolutely have a roster spot for a measly 950k. While Cleary, according to Holland, "He'll have to beat people out to be in the lineup."

Spending more on a back-up than a starter? 

Also, compared to the $1m deal for Heatley and the $2m deal for Richards, I'd say that Cleary deserves right between the two of them....right? <---- Sarcasm

(maybe not a fair comparison, but I just hate the idea that Holland's getting fleeced by hometown discount Danny Cleary, while other teams are signing better "project" players for MUCH better deals)  :glare:  

Edited by PaZel, 10 July 2014 - 05:14 PM.

"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg

#150 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,355 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Interesting. I was not aware that Garth Snow is also the current GM of the Detroit Red Wings. May God have mercy on us all.  :ninja:

Edited by aflac9262, 10 July 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#151 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Is Holland all there mentally? Otherwise...

implied-facepalm.png

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#152 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

In the end just look at last season. We often had guys like Sammy and Bert sitting in the press box while they were passed over and kids got the call up. I see this season being no different. Cleary's competition is with being scratched, not with the kids who can play in GR. If/when Cleary stinks it up, and a roster spot needs to be filled for a game, I would bet money that Jurco would get the call up over him. 

Once again, I don't like the signing. But every team needs bench warmers. 

There are cheaper and/or better bench warmers. And we have cap space. We talk about not wanting to overpay anyone, but we piss money away on overpriced s*** that rots in the press box. It's an utter and complete joke at this point. I don't know how he still has his job right now, I really don't. It literally is starting to feel like he's trying to get himself fired.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#153 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

This off season has been like a train wreck: horrifying but I can't turn and look away...

#154 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Babs probably wanted Cleary. I just don't get it. If you want him around the locker room for leadership give him some bull s*** job. This is exactly why top free agents don't want to play for the wings anymore.

Haha I feel like this should make free agents want to come here. You're telling me I can sign here and play until I cant skate (and then some,), and still make 1.5 million.

#155 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

I was in a meeting with my boss and literally lol'd.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#156 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:18 PM

There are cheaper and/or better bench warmers. And we have cap space. We talk about not wanting to overpay anyone, but we piss money away on overpriced s*** that rots in the press box. It's an utter and complete joke at this point. I don't know how he still has his job right now, I really don't. It literally is starting to feel like he's trying to get himself fired.

Once again, I am NOT defending this signing. I dislike it as much as anybody. But it happened. I'm not going to lose my mind over it because it isn't going to make it go away. All there is left to hope for is that he gets very well acquainted with the pressbox. 

#157 goredwings

goredwings

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

You people are all way too serous about this. Take a step back from your keyboard and breath.

The positive of this is it a 1 year deal we have a ton of cap space and looks like no way of using it.

If he performs like he has prior to the last couple of years you will all be in love with this move come season end.

He is a veteran player who can be trusted by the coach and knows the system, you are all very well aware of how fragile this team is so veteran leadership and depth at this price is a no brainer even if he does not play a game.

As for the GM I would like to see how some of the posters on this site would be able to pull off the NHL 2014 trades that some of you so desperately want. I can't imagine that it's that easy or you'd be a GM in this league by now.

Life long wings fan here who is a realistic person.

Chill out relax and enjoy the show!!!!

#158 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

This is BEYOND ridiculous! Has Holland seriously lost his mind?
Why does he seem to be determined to run this franchise into the ground with these horrible " loyalty signings" just as I was getting over the Quincey thing, this happens.
We may just break the streak this year.......
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#159 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

and back by popular demand....

sx2xqCm.gif

I don't want to give the impression I made this...I didn't. Just sharing.

Edited by Son of a Wing, 10 July 2014 - 05:24 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#160 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

It utterly pisses me off because why in the hell would you agree that you'll "take care of him" the following season?!?  That's called signing him to a 2 year contract... wow.  But at the end of the day, it's a business.  Cleary's health is obviously on the decline and has been for years.  Despite him working hard and getting in good shape, his body is not the same and can't take the same punishment it could 5+ years ago.  That's when you say, "we're sorry Danny, but we are very concerned about your health and we're going to need to pass."  

It almost makes me feel like they want to keep him in the organization so badly after he retires that they're willing to let him drag along until then just so they don't piss him off and lose him to another management team.  

It's just bad business on Holland's part.  He needs to wake up because all of this loyalty that's being thrown around is only going to disgruntle the young prospects who are proving they're ready to make the jump and then you'll end up losing them the first chance they become UFA's.

The only sense I can make out of this is that they're moving forward on trading a young guy for Green, Yandle, Byfuglien, or Myers....  Doubtful though.