Photo
- - - - -

Who has been Ken Holland's worst recent free agent signing?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Who has been Ken Holland's worst free agent signing?

Worst free agent signing of the recent Holland-era?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

What kills me is that once the guy was healthy, he wasn't so bad for us. I was actually surprised we bought him out given our lack of depth on defense and that once healthy, he played relatively well, considering he was cheap and coming off of injury. At the very least, it didn't seem like he was the first salary problem that needed addressing, that's for damn sure. 

Exactly granted he was made of glass but he was a good puck mover and didn't make bone head plays. He was a solid option imo and much better than some of current D.

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

Its a real strong field, but in the end it comes down to Sammy vs Cleary 2.0.  What made Sammys so bad was that it was 2 years, a 1 year deal for him to provide insurance depth would have been OK, but 2?  Against that is re-signing a player who is clearly no longer able to physically perform at NHL (and possibly AHL) level.

Because we couldn't be sure which Sammy we would get, vs knowing exactly what we're getting with Cleary, it has to be Daniel.

BTW, I agree with the posters who say Carlo wasn't so bad when healthy, I was bemused by Hollands buy-out of him.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

I can't even choose one because there have been so many questionable signings :(

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Sorry, but you don't have the correct answer up there. His worst signing or resigning is himself!

#25 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm surprised no one has voted for that lazy floater Jason Williams. That signing pissed me right off when it happened all those (five) years ago and I remember Holland's quote of "that gives us an extra 20 goals season."

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#26 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

That is a sad, sad looking list....Good god..

#27 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'm going to go with Stephen Weiss...................  Five years was four too long for a guy with a number of minor injuries throughout his career, one major injury leading into FA, and brought on to replace a guy who was at worst his equal.

#28 heikks86

heikks86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

I'm surprised no one has voted for that lazy floater Jason Williams. That signing pissed me right off when it happened all those (five) years ago and I remember Holland's quote of "that gives us an extra 20 goals season."

i voted for Williams because of that play he had against the Sharks in the playoff OT game awhile back that lead to the game winning goal. none of the other signings have cause the Wings to lose games like Williams did

#29 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

i voted for Williams because of that play he had against the Sharks in the playoff OT game awhile back that lead to the game winning goal. none of the other signings have cause the Wings to lose games like Williams did

How can we forget that misguided slapper, 3 feet high and wide that played perfectly around the glass like a defenseman's clearance to spring Thornton or Marleau on that breakaway.  What a boneheaded play by William in OT.

Edited by under_par_00, 11 July 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#30 heikks86

heikks86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

How can we forget that misguided slapper, 3 feet high and wide that played perfectly around the glass like a defenseman's clearance to spring Thornton or Marleau on that breakaway.  What a boneheaded play by William in OT.

i havent forgotten it haha, i think i remember someone posting in the game day thread that Williams was going to cost them the game with his shots from the point

#31 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Dishonorable mention should also go to Cory Cross as a consideration.  16 games-2 points.  Benched and then traded.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#32 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Jason "high and wide" Williams
Thanks for the extra 20 goals!

#33 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Dishonorable mention should also go to Cory Cross as a consideration.  16 games-2 points.  Benched and then traded.

He beat up Steve Ott though...

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#34 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

i can't vote as i feel Kenny will still bettter all of the one's listed  :blind:

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Nevermind.  Was going to post the Ott video, but UK already did.   ;)

Edited by GMRwings1983, 12 July 2014 - 12:49 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#36 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:53 AM

Samuelsson was easily the worst imo, but last year's signing of Cleary was also pretty bad. He was terrible all season but managed to deliver a heroic post season. It was pretty obvious it wasn't going to last. The Cleary 2.0 signing as someone labelled it is a joke but we all know there is no way he will stay in the lineup.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate