Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Good article. Also,

"Kronwall has remained an effective No. 1 defenseman for the team."

SUCK IT HATERZ

Ahem there are only seven #1 defensmen in the league, thus Kronwall is a #2 at best.

#142 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Kronwall's arguably our most important player, IMHO.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#143 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yea I read it too. Good article that seems to actually give credence to the youth that the wings have built up while simultaneously chastising management's somewhat costly obsession with hanging on to older worn down players for too long. 

temp 1

#144 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Pretty balanced and fair article like the fact that the author is questioning some moves and not drinking the kool aid while still being fair.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#145 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yea I read it too. Good article that seems to actually give credence to the youth that the wings have built up while simultaneously chastising management's somewhat costly obsession with hanging on to older worn down players for too long. 

I agree.

...But, at the same time, I have to wonder if there's really much of a conflict there in the first place. Nyquist and Tatar and Sheahan and Jurco are all NHL players, and of those four, only Jurco's at risk of being sent down for any amount of time. Beyond those four, what other pretty-clearly-ready-to-make-a-big-difference-with-the-big-club young forwards do we have in the system? Personally, I'd say Pulkkinen, but I could also make a strong case for keeping him on the farm for another season. Of course, even then (him being a Griffin for another season), we're almost sure to see more of him as a Wing this coming season than we saw of him this past season (hello injuries, and hello having organizational depth so that injuries aren't the kiss of death), so he's going to get his looks.

Beyond Pulkkinen, I guess there's Callahan and Ferraro, but I dunno that there's a crying need for either of them if our team is healthy. Mantha? We don't really know yet. Maybe he has a legendary camp, maybe (more likely) he shows he isn't ready.

I feel it's essentially the same situation on the blue line. Ouellet is pretty solid and Marchenko had a remarkable season. I think those two are the top candidates for graduation and I imagine that's what's going to happen - by the end of the season, they'll be regulars, or maybe one will be traded (as they're somewhat similar players and we'll likely be looking to make a big trade this season). Beyond them? Personally, I feel Sproul is the most promising, but I could make a strong case for him spending another season as a Griffin. I feel we have someone special in Backman, but I don't know that he's really ready to face NHL forwards every night and look good doing it. Jensen's an option, but he missed time and development because of his shoulder.

I do think Mrazek probably should've been promoted. But with Gustavsson back in the fold, we have three solid options instead of just two. That's injury insurance at the most important position in hockey. I'm ok with that.

So, moves like re-signing Cleary and Quincey weren't strokes of genius and will keep a couple kids down. But I can't make a list of "Kids Who Are Totally Getting Shafted." All I can really think of is Jurco, and even he might never see the farm again.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#146 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

I agree.

...But, at the same time, I have to wonder if there's really much of a conflict there in the first place. Nyquist and Tatar and Sheahan and Jurco are all NHL players, and of those four, only Jurco's at risk of being sent down for any amount of time. Beyond those four, what other pretty-clearly-ready-to-make-a-big-difference-with-the-big-club young forwards do we have in the system? Personally, I'd say Pulkkinen, but I could also make a strong case for keeping him on the farm for another season. Of course, even then (him being a Griffin for another season), we're almost sure to see more of him as a Wing this coming season than we saw of him this past season (hello injuries, and hello having organizational depth so that injuries aren't the kiss of death), so he's going to get his looks.

Beyond Pulkkinen, I guess there's Callahan and Ferraro, but I dunno that there's a crying need for either of them if our team is healthy. Mantha? We don't really know yet. Maybe he has a legendary camp, maybe (more likely) he shows he isn't ready.

I feel it's essentially the same situation on the blue line. Ouellet is pretty solid and Marchenko had a remarkable season. I think those two are the top candidates for graduation and I imagine that's what's going to happen - by the end of the season, they'll be regulars, or maybe one will be traded (as they're somewhat similar players and we'll likely be looking to make a big trade this season). Beyond them? Personally, I feel Sproul is the most promising, but I could make a strong case for him spending another season as a Griffin. I feel we have someone special in Backman, but I don't know that he's really ready to face NHL forwards every night and look good doing it. Jensen's an option, but he missed time and development because of his shoulder.

I do think Mrazek probably should've been promoted. But with Gustavsson back in the fold, we have three solid options instead of just two. That's injury insurance at the most important position in hockey. I'm ok with that.

So, moves like re-signing Cleary and Quincey weren't strokes of genius and will keep a couple kids down. But I can't make a list of "Kids Who Are Totally Getting Shafted." All I can really think of is Jurco, and even he might never see the farm again.

While that's true that there might not be any kids besides Jurco who you could say definitely should be on the roster at the start of the year, were we really saying that about Sheahan and Jurco this time last year? Nyquist and Tatar yes, although Tatar properly hadn't proved himself at that point either.

What I'm getting at is that given the opportunity, some of these kids will step up and grab the job and just run with it. Like Sheahan and Jurco did last year. I get the feeling that that would probably happen with either of Ouellet or Marchenko. My personal opinion is that they should find a way to trade Kindl and go with either of those two guys and just see what happens. What really, have we got to lose? That third pairing can't be worse than it was last season, and both guys have been strong when called upon for NHL duty. 

temp 1