• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumnj

Rule Changes in the AHL (what the NHL has considered)

Rate this topic

I think the 7 minute OT idea is a little goofy, but definitely worth experimenting with if it cuts down on the number of shootouts.

Though I'd rather they just do 7 minutes of 4 on 4 OT while keeping the ice scrape and long change.

I see what you're saying, but I'd rather they just do away with the shootouts.

Why don't they just have ties? We just saw the World Cup and they handle ties just fine. The Nhl did as well for the vast majority of its history.

There is a line where you just cheapen the sport to appease the general public. It's been crossed with all this OT circus.

Why don't they just have ties? We just saw the World Cup and they handle ties just fine. The Nhl did as well for the vast majority of its history.

There is a line where you just cheapen the sport to appease the general public. It's been crossed with all this OT circus.

That's how I feel. If neither team deserves to win, then neither should get the extra point. No reason to force a win down someone's throat by some kind of gimmick.

Why don't they just have ties? We just saw the World Cup and they handle ties just fine. The Nhl as well for the vast majority of its history.

I get what you're saying, but there's nothing in sports that I hate more than ties. Ties have no place in the game, there should always be a winner and a loser. Get rid of the 3 point game (because let's face it you shouldn't get a point for losing) and get rid of the shootout. With those two things gone teams would have more of an incentive to win in regulation, instead of dragging the game out to OT to get a point.

Guest DeGraa55

I don't understand why people hate the shoutout. I love it. And it's not during the playoffs like World Cup is for example.

It's only regular season games and it's cool and exciting to see. Even if the wings suck lol.

I get what you're saying, but there's nothing in sports that I hate more than ties. Ties have no place in the game, there should always be a winner and a loser. Get rid of the 3 point game (because let's face it you shouldn't get a point for losing) and get rid of the shootout. With those two things gone teams would have more of an incentive to win in regulation, instead of dragging the game out to OT to get a point.

I'll disagree with you since the tie has a long history in hockey, but I'll certainly agree with eliminating the 3 point system. You can see teams all season long hanging on, floating around until the end of regulation just to get one point. No points for losing teams.

You didn't mention how you'd end a regular season game. No tie, no shootout....what does that leave you with?

I'll disagree with you since the tie has a long history in hockey, but I'll certainly agree with eliminating the 3 point system. You can see teams all season long hanging on, floating around until the end of regulation just to get one point. No points for losing teams.

You didn't mention how you'd end a regular season game. No tie, no shootout....what does that leave you with?

Ties have a long history in the NHL, but it was changed for a reason. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't look forward to watching a 3 hour game just to see it end in a tie. Also going back to the old tie system, will cause the same issues as a 3 point game, it would allow teams to just hang on for that 1 point.

As far as how to end a regular season game goes, you play till someone wins. But with the 3 point game gone it would force teams to work harder so they don't have to play in OT.

The only other option I see would be to, first get rid of the loser point and then play a full 20 minute period before having a shootout.

Edited by wings87

I don't understand why people hate the shoutout. I love it. And it's not during the playoffs like World Cup is for example.

It's only regular season games and it's cool and exciting to see. Even if the wings suck lol.

It's winning based on a skill competition basically. You don't see games being determined by home run derbys, dunk contests or some sort of qb competition. Shootouts used to be exciting to me, but now since they are so often it kind of lost its luster.

Unfortunately it's extremely unlikely the league would get rid of the 3 point system because it artificially inflates points and forces parity. Because of the loser point teams are in the playoff hunt much longer than they otherwise would be, which means there's still a reason for fans to watch and go to games much later in the season.

The dry scrape is coming to the NHL and that should be a no brainer. I think the NHL still has a problem with extending OT though, so going to 7 minutes might not fly. Also, I don't think the NHL has any appetite for going to 3 on 3 in OT. I like that better than shootout, but I still don't like it.

The problem is if the NHL likes how things go with these in the AHL, then all of a sudden, they will have an appetite for some of them.

My issue with the proposed OT rules is that, with the 4-4 and then 3-3, it has the potential to turn the sport of hockey into a mockery. What's next? If the score is still tied after 3-3, do the Goalies arm wrestle at center ice to determine the winner? We should come to terms with it now, we all know it's coming.

My issue with the proposed OT rules is that, with the 4-4 and then 3-3, it has the potential to turn the sport of hockey into a mockery. What's next? If the score is still tied after 3-3, do the Goalies arm wrestle at center ice to determine the winner? We should come to terms with it now, we all know it's coming.

3-3 half ice first probably.

I don't understand why people hate the shoutout

I agree. I'm perfectly ok with games being decided by shoutout.

"First up for the Red Wings is Zetterberg, let's see what he has to say. Z?"

"Yeah, uh, I'd just like to make a shoutout to my boo Emma, my moms, and my homeboy Sven back in Sweden. Big ups!"

"Well, that was a solid showing by the captain, let's see how the Hawks stack up. First to the mic is Patrick Kane, who will inevitably bring something sufficiently douchey to the table..."

"Yo what up what up this ya boy P Kane in the hizzle, just want to give a shoutout to all the dime pieces out there, hit me up after the game and I might let you smell my cup YA KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN but on the real one love PEACE"

"Point awarded to the Red Wings"

"Yo what up what up this ya boy P Kane in the hizzle, just want to give a shoutout to all the dime pieces out there, hit me up after the game and I might let you smell my cup YA KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN but on the real one love PEACE"

We all know very well Patty never goes after dime pieces...strictly nickles.

Guest DeGraa55

It's winning based on a skill competition basically. You don't see games being determined by home run derbys, dunk contests or some sort of qb competition. Shootouts used to be exciting to me, but now since they are so often it kind of lost its luster.

But then why does the worlds biggest sport have goal kicks in the friggen World Cup? A shoot out is a way to avoid super long games...I hate having a tie and you can have a team (especially the wings!!!!) play in a bunch of long OT games. What happens when we have a three out of four stretch and all three games go to double or triple overtime? There's a reason that only happens in the playoffs.

Look at college football their OTs are some of the most exciting. And that's the same idea as a shoutout... The NFL doesn't have a fair system. You get the ball first score a TD and you win? The other team literally could not even have a chance in offense!

Guest DeGraa55

I hate shootouts because hockey is a team sport--you win or lose as a team.

I agree but there's two options then. 1 you bring back the tie(I dot want). Or 2 you play games that can last four, five, or six hours which would be terrible for the game....only good in the playoffs. Since neither of those are work were stuck with a shoutout.

I agree but there's two options then. 1 you bring back the tie(I dot want). Or 2 you play games that can last four, five, or six hours which would be terrible for the game....only good in the playoffs. Since neither of those are work were stuck with a shoutout.

No one is even considering my idea of rock paper scissors

Then go with 4 on 4 then 3 on 3. Someone has to score you'd think especially if it's 3 on 3. Besides I don't know why people think hockey is too long. Just look at baseball and football now those sports are way too long.