• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumnj

Rule Changes in the AHL (what the NHL has considered)

Rate this topic

Yesterday the American Hockey League annoced a few new rule changes. I know the overtime and fighting (Yzerman suggested it last year) ones have been considered by the NHL as well. This may be a test run in the AHL and could be something we'll see in the NHL for the future.

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)

• During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.
  • Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.
  • Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.
  • If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

Rule 20.4 (“Major Penalties”)

• An automatic game misconduct will be applied to any player who has been assessed two major penalties for fighting or three major penalties for any infraction in the same game.

Rule 9.6 (“Helmets”)

• A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play will be assessed a minor penalty unless he immediately (a) exits the playing surface or (b) puts the helmet back on with the chin strap properly fastened.

http://theahl.com/ahl-board-approves-rules-changes-p192792

Edited by drumnj

I think the helmet one is dumb. If you're in your own end on a pk defending and someone checks you, knocks the helmet off, somehow you deserve a penalty because you don't want to leave your team even more shorthanded to go put the helmet back on or go back to the bench?

I think the helmet one is dumb. If you're in your own end on a pk defending and someone checks you, knocks the helmet off, somehow you deserve a penalty because you don't want to leave your team even more shorthanded to go put the helmet back on or go back to the bench?

I hope they allow discretion for the officials in these kind of situations.

I hope they allow discretion for the officials in these kind of situations.

If it was a rule in the nhl the refs would be given no discretion. The fact that you have to securely do the chin strap back up when you put the helmet back on is the worst part, this rule could seriously handicap a team at the wrong time

If it was a rule in the nhl the refs would be given no discretion. The fact that you have to securely do the chin strap back up when you put the helmet back on is the worst part, this rule could seriously handicap a team at the wrong time

Which is why it's better that it's in the AHL before it would come to the NHL. Let them work out the bugs so the NHL officials can f*** it up in new and interesting ways.

Every single proposal is idiotic.

Weeding fighting out of the game has been going on slowly now. Gimmmicky overtimes are absurd. 3 on 3 is not a situation you see in normal play. It's not much different than deciding a game by shootout. Just another gimmick to avoid a tie.

For OT, I like the dry scrape idea and changing ends so teams have the long change.

I'm not crazy about the shifting to 3 on 3 during a 7 minute OT, but I'd still take it over a shootout. It's at least worth seeing how is plays out in the AHL.

The helmet rule and major penalty rule are pretty bad though.

I'd be interested in them trying to really crack down on the hit from behind rule in the AHL. Don't create a new rule, just enforce the existing one. If they actually don't allow players to hit a guy in the numbers, it seems like it would protect defenseman and help with puck movement in the defensive zone.

Right now in the AHL and NHL the rule seems to be enforced as "you can hit a guy from behind into the boards, as long as it's not too bad or he doesn't end up getting hurt" which is a terrible standard.

I'm still in the "play hockey until the game ends" boat and I'd really like to see the NHL get away from 3 point games. Either that our make all games worth 3 points. First rule does nothing for that and it's still gimmicky so I don't like it.

I also think fighting has a place but there shouldn't be a need to fight in a game twice, this coming from someone who has played competitively for 20 years. So I like that rule. Keeps people honest but still playing hockey.

I see the purpose of the third rule but I still don't like it. If someone wants to risk a head injury by playing that's their choice. There are better ways to protect players from injury than penalizing them for giving their all.

They're going to have the game of hockey ruined in 5 to 10 years. The OT rule is interesting, but if the other 2 make it into the NHL.... yikes.

With the litigious society we live in coupled with the NFL lawsuit and the BS ones fringe ex-players are tossing at the NHL, the league has to be seen taking steps to cut down on head injuries. Discouraging fighting and making sure people have helmets on are steps towards that. If you want to blame someone, blame the lawyers and over-reacting hockey moms who go berserk over every bump and bruise.

The league won't be going away from the current standings point system anytime soon, but I'd rather see it be a win or nothing than the extra point for OT. Failing that, 3 for a regulation win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss, nothing for regulation loss. The current format keeps teams bunched up more though, meaning it looks more exciting.

Edited by DickieDunn

Re "Rule 85":

1) Why "seven minutes"?

2) Regular season games have already been dragged out as far as they can. You want excitement? Ditch the "dog-and-pony show" know as the shootout and start with five-on-five in the overtime. After each minute, one player per team is taken off, so that if the overtime goes the full five minutes, you're left with two goalies and two skaters in the final minute. No winner? No problem; bring back the single point for that archaic thing know as the "tie game".

Re "Rule 85":

1) Why "seven minutes"?

2) Regular season games have already been dragged out as far as they can. You want excitement? Ditch the "dog-and-pony show" know as the shootout and start with five-on-five in the overtime. After each minute, one player per team is taken off, so that if the overtime goes the full five minutes, you're left with two goalies and two skaters in the final minute. No winner? No problem; bring back the single point for that archaic thing know as the "tie game".

Your version sounds just as bad, maybe worse.

Every single one of those is idiotic and unnecessary.

I can definitely see myself not bothering with hockey anymore within the next 5-10 years.

I think the 7 minute OT idea is a little goofy, but definitely worth experimenting with if it cuts down on the number of shootouts.

Though I'd rather they just do 7 minutes of 4 on 4 OT while keeping the ice scrape and long change.