Photo
- - - - -

Rule Changes in the AHL (what the NHL has considered)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

This team is like opposite day, everyday.

Our GM is our FA acquisition

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Re "Rule 85":

1) Why "seven minutes"?

2) Regular season games have already been dragged out as far as they can. You want excitement? Ditch the "dog-and-pony show" know as the shootout and start with five-on-five in the overtime. After each minute, one player per team is taken off, so that if the overtime goes the full five minutes, you're left with two goalies and two skaters in the final minute. No winner? No problem; bring back the single point for that archaic thing know as the "tie game".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Re "Rule 85":
1) Why "seven minutes"?
2) Regular season games have already been dragged out as far as they can. You want excitement? Ditch the "dog-and-pony show" know as the shootout and start with five-on-five in the overtime. After each minute, one player per team is taken off, so that if the overtime goes the full five minutes, you're left with two goalies and two skaters in the final minute. No winner? No problem; bring back the single point for that archaic thing know as the "tie game".

Your version sounds just as bad, maybe worse.

#24 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Every single one of those is idiotic and unnecessary.

I can definitely see myself not bothering with hockey anymore within the next 5-10 years.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Every single one of those is idiotic and unnecessary.

I can definitely see myself not bothering with hockey anymore within the next 5-10 years.

I think the 7 minute OT idea is a little goofy, but definitely worth experimenting with if it cuts down on the number of shootouts. 

Though I'd rather they just do 7 minutes of 4 on 4 OT while keeping the ice scrape and long change. 

#26 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

I think the 7 minute OT idea is a little goofy, but definitely worth experimenting with if it cuts down on the number of shootouts. 

Though I'd rather they just do 7 minutes of 4 on 4 OT while keeping the ice scrape and long change. 

I see what you're saying, but I'd rather they just do away with the shootouts.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#27 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Why don't they just have ties? We just saw the World Cup and they handle ties just fine. The Nhl did as well for the vast majority of its history.

There is a line where you just cheapen the sport to appease the general public. It's been crossed with all this OT circus.

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,077 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Why don't they just have ties? We just saw the World Cup and they handle ties just fine. The Nhl did as well for the vast majority of its history.

There is a line where you just cheapen the sport to appease the general public. It's been crossed with all this OT circus.

That's how I feel.  If neither team deserves to win, then neither should get the extra point.  No reason to force a win down someone's throat by some kind of gimmick.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

7 minutes is odd. :P

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#30 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Why don't they just have ties? We just saw the World Cup and they handle ties just fine. The Nhl as well for the vast majority of its history.

I get what you're saying, but there's nothing in sports that I hate more than ties. Ties have no place in the game, there should always be a winner and a loser. Get rid of the 3 point game (because let's face it you shouldn't get a point for losing) and get rid of the shootout. With those two things gone teams would have more of an incentive to win in regulation, instead of dragging the game out to OT to get a point.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#31 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

I don't understand why people hate the shoutout. I love it. And it's not during the playoffs like World Cup is for example.

It's only regular season games and it's cool and exciting to see. Even if the wings suck lol.

#32 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:17 AM

I get what you're saying, but there's nothing in sports that I hate more than ties. Ties have no place in the game, there should always be a winner and a loser. Get rid of the 3 point game (because let's face it you shouldn't get a point for losing) and get rid of the shootout. With those two things gone teams would have more of an incentive to win in regulation, instead of dragging the game out to OT to get a point.

I'll disagree with you since the tie has a long history in hockey, but I'll certainly agree with eliminating the 3 point system. You can see teams all season long hanging on, floating around until the end of regulation just to get one point. No points for losing teams. 

You didn't mention how you'd end a regular season game. No tie, no shootout....what does that leave you with? 

#33 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

let the kids play i quit!

#34 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

I'll disagree with you since the tie has a long history in hockey, but I'll certainly agree with eliminating the 3 point system. You can see teams all season long hanging on, floating around until the end of regulation just to get one point. No points for losing teams. 

You didn't mention how you'd end a regular season game. No tie, no shootout....what does that leave you with?

Ties have a long history in the NHL, but it was changed for a reason. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't look forward to watching a 3 hour game just to see it end in a tie. Also going back to the old tie system, will cause the same issues as a 3 point game, it would allow teams to just hang on for that 1 point.
As far as how to end a regular season game goes, you play till someone wins. But with the 3 point game gone it would force teams to work harder so they don't have to play in OT.

The only other option I see would be to, first get rid of the loser point and then play a full 20 minute period before having a shootout.

Edited by wings87, 14 July 2014 - 02:26 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#35 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Too many teams play for the extra point, especially towards the end of the season. Ties won't fix that.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#36 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

I don't understand why people hate the shoutout. I love it. And it's not during the playoffs like World Cup is for example.

It's only regular season games and it's cool and exciting to see. Even if the wings suck lol.

It's winning based on a skill competition basically. You don't see games being determined by home run derbys, dunk contests or some sort of qb competition. Shootouts used to be exciting to me, but now since they are so often it kind of lost its luster.

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Unfortunately it's extremely unlikely the league would get rid of the 3 point system because it artificially inflates points and forces parity.  Because of the loser point teams are in the playoff hunt much longer than they otherwise would be, which means there's still a reason for fans to watch and go to games much later in the season. 

#38 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

The dry scrape is coming to the NHL and that should be a no brainer.  I think the NHL still has a problem with extending OT though, so going to 7 minutes might not fly.  Also, I don't think the NHL has any appetite for going to 3 on 3 in OT.  I like that better than shootout, but I still don't like it.

The problem is if the NHL likes how things go with these in the AHL, then all of a sudden, they will have an appetite for some of them.

#39 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

My issue with the proposed OT rules is that, with the 4-4 and then 3-3, it has the potential to turn the sport of hockey into a mockery. What's next? If the score is still tied after 3-3, do the Goalies arm wrestle at center ice to determine the winner? We should come to terms with it now, we all know it's coming.  

#40 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

My issue with the proposed OT rules is that, with the 4-4 and then 3-3, it has the potential to turn the sport of hockey into a mockery. What's next? If the score is still tied after 3-3, do the Goalies arm wrestle at center ice to determine the winner? We should come to terms with it now, we all know it's coming.  

3-3 half ice first probably.