Photo
- - - - -

Rule Changes in the AHL (what the NHL has considered)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

3-3 half ice first probably.

Maybe a game of hop scotch?

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

My issue with the proposed OT rules is that, with the 4-4 and then 3-3, it has the potential to turn the sport of hockey into a mockery.  

Do worry; that "mile marker" was passed a long, long time ago.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#43 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Maybe a game of hop scotch?

Red Rover would be interesting.

#44 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

I don't understand why people hate the shoutout

I agree. I'm perfectly ok with games being decided by shoutout.

"First up for the Red Wings is Zetterberg, let's see what he has to say. Z?"

"Yeah, uh, I'd just like to make a shoutout to my boo Emma, my moms, and my homeboy Sven back in Sweden. Big ups!"

"Well, that was a solid showing by the captain, let's see how the Hawks stack up. First to the mic is Patrick Kane, who will inevitably bring something sufficiently douchey to the table..."

"Yo what up what up this ya boy P Kane in the hizzle, just want to give a shoutout to all the dime pieces out there, hit me up after the game and I might let you smell my cup YA KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN but on the real one love PEACE"

"Point awarded to the Red Wings"

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#45 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

"Yo what up what up this ya boy P Kane in the hizzle, just want to give a shoutout to all the dime pieces out there, hit me up after the game and I might let you smell my cup YA KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN but on the real one love PEACE"

We all know very well Patty never goes after dime pieces...strictly nickles.

#46 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

It's winning based on a skill competition basically. You don't see games being determined by home run derbys, dunk contests or some sort of qb competition. Shootouts used to be exciting to me, but now since they are so often it kind of lost its luster.

But then why does the worlds biggest sport have goal kicks in the friggen World Cup? A shoot out is a way to avoid super long games...I hate having a tie and you can have a team (especially the wings!!!!) play in a bunch of long OT games. What happens when we have a three out of four stretch and all three games go to double or triple overtime? There's a reason that only happens in the playoffs.

Look at college football their OTs are some of the most exciting. And that's the same idea as a shoutout... The NFL doesn't have a fair system. You get the ball first score a TD and you win? The other team literally could not even have a chance in offense!

#47 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

I hate shootouts because hockey is a team sport--you win or lose as a team.

#48 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

I hate shootouts because hockey is a team sport--you win or lose as a team.

I agree but there's two options then. 1 you bring back the tie(I dot want). Or 2 you play games that can last four, five, or six hours which would be terrible for the game....only good in the playoffs. Since neither of those are work were stuck with a shoutout.

#49 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

I agree but there's two options then. 1 you bring back the tie(I dot want). Or 2 you play games that can last four, five, or six hours which would be terrible for the game....only good in the playoffs. Since neither of those are work were stuck with a shoutout.

No one is even considering my idea of rock paper scissors

#50 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Then go with 4 on 4 then 3 on 3.  Someone has to score you'd think especially if it's 3 on 3.  Besides I don't know why people think hockey is too long.  Just look at baseball and football now those sports are way too long.

#51 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'd tweak the rule concerning fighting, for when the other person receives the instigator it should not count as the second major. How bad would it be for guys like lucic perry iginla etc after the first one? Is just annoy him with a fourth liner until he snaps
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#52 SpiritFan

SpiritFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

I admit I didn't read all the comments in the thread, so sorry if this has been said, but I will say that the OHL has used the helmet rule for a few seasons & it's not as bad as it sounds. It's not really a situation that presents itself THAT much.

I would be all for the "rock-paper-scissors" method, if they in fact used an actual rock, paper & scissors!

#53 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Then go with 4 on 4 then 3 on 3.  Someone has to score you'd think especially if it's 3 on 3.  Besides I don't know why people think hockey is too long.  Just look at baseball and football now those sports are way too long.

Now you said a shoutout defeats the point of a team game what does 3 on 3 do LOL. Superstar verse superstar as your forwards come on.

If we want a team game do 6 on 5 for 2:30 then switch and see who scores the most. There's a team game.

I admit I didn't read all the comments in the thread, so sorry if this has been said, but I will say that the OHL has used the helmet rule for a few seasons & it's not as bad as it sounds. It's not really a situation that presents itself THAT much.

I would be all for the "rock-paper-scissors" method, if they in fact used an actual rock, paper & scissors!

I understand the helmet rule and kind of agree with it but it should be tweaked a bit. Cause like someone said if you're short handed in your zone...u can't just leave the ice. If anything maybe a stoppage of play would be better?

#54 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Now you said a shoutout defeats the point of a team game what does 3 on 3 do LOL. Superstar verse superstar as your forwards come on.

If we want a team game do 6 on 5 for 2:30 then switch and see who scores the most. There's a team game.

I understand the helmet rule and kind of agree with it but it should be tweaked a bit. Cause like someone said if you're short handed in your zone...u can't just leave the ice. If anything maybe a stoppage of play would be better?

I agree about the helmet rule, I don't like how it sits now. A stoppage of play however would lead to people abusing it and overall too many controversial plays. Even with the few times it happens with goalies it's frustrating.

#55 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

How about a best-of-7 tic-tac-toe competition?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#56 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Personally, I love the OT rules.  The other two rules I am not a big fan of.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#57 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

This is actually an interesting idea. Why not just give each team a power play, say a double minor, and have it be an 8 minute period? Something along those lines. I like the power play OT. Cool idea. 

#58 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

All I can say is stop tweaking the game too much. Some of these rules are just stupid.

As for the Shootout I don't care either way if it stays it stays if not that's fine also (speaking about the regular season obviously).

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#59 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

To respond to the earlier question around the shootout, I personally hate it because it has nothing to do with the game itself.  It's like they finished the game and now we are going to do this thingy over here to decide the winner (skills comp).

In terms of comparison to soccer, showing stupidity in one sport is not a good argument as to why it should be implemented in another.  It's not a great argument for me as I can't stand soccer.  I played as a kid up until hockey commitments were too great to do much of anything else, but in terms of watching, no thanks.  The big reason they have a shootout is because the number of goals scored is generally very, very low.  The possibility of a game going for hours without a goal is fairly high.  My opinion for it being the world's most popular sport is because it requires the least amount of money to get into, therefore, almost every country around the world can participate.  Popularity in "richer" countries isn't as high.....this is my assumption anyway, not backed up by any research at all.

Back on topic, I don't think the NHL will look to remove the shootout, I think they simply want to try and limit the number of games that go to a shootout.  I'm okay with that as I'm reasonable in thinking that they simply can't let games go on for too long waiting for someone to score.  Even though that would be rare, they wouldn't want any going too long.  And they don't want to get too goofy to avoid it (i.e. going to 3 on 3).   This is, of course, if you really can't live with ties...which I personally have no problem with.  The only problem the NHL has with ties is not that they don't have a winner, they can live with ties fine, the problem is that teams start to play not to lose so they can at least get the single point and offense basically dries up.

#60 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

3 on 3 is still using the "concept" of team, a shoot out does not.  It is not s skills competition.