Photo
- - - - -

Rule Changes in the AHL (what the NHL has considered)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

3 on 3 is still using the "concept" of team, a shoot
out does not.  It is not s skills competition.

Actually it really kind of is. Instead of using a full bench of players(using your WHOLE TEAM) now you're using just a handful. The skillful

#62 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

What is wrong with a tie? Just because there is not a winner and a loser in the game does not mean there is not a winner and loser in the standings. Look at the USA Portugal game Portugal scores in the last 30 seconds to force a tie. On paper it went down as a tie, but in reality that was a huge "loss" for the USA.

#63 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

What is wrong with a tie? Just because there is not a winner and a loser in the game does not mean there is not a winner and loser in the standings. Look at the USA Portugal game Portugal scores in the last 30 seconds to force a tie. On paper it went down as a tie, but in reality that was a huge "loss" for the USA.

What's wrong with havinga winner ? Different sports are having different metrics and just because a stupid sport like soccer is having a tie, doesn't mean hockey should do so too.

The most important part in all of this is how are the players thinking about the shootout ?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#64 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

What's wrong with havinga winner ? Different sports are having different metrics and just because a stupid sport like soccer is having a tie, doesn't mean hockey should do so too.

The most important part in all of this is how are the players thinking about the shootout ?

That thar stupid sport hur hur hur

#65 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Regarding the helmet rule, I believe this happened in the last Olympics, where a player was in his defensive corner battling another player and his helmet was knocked off.  He had to go get his helmet and couldn't keep fighting for the puck, as a result with no one defending the player he walked right in and scored.  I've tried to find this video but can't remember the 2 countries playing, but it was the first time I saw anything like it, but this is the worst case scenario of this new rule.

#66 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Ya I can't believe how stupid soccer is. I mean why do All the rules have to make sense?

Just look at that smart sport like hockey, 2 points for a regulation win, but somehow it becomes 3 points if it's in overtime!!

#67 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Ya I can't believe how stupid soccer is. I mean why do All the rules have to make sense?

Just look at that smart sport like hockey, 2 points for a regulation win, but somehow it becomes 3 points if it's in overtime!!

Well, you're thinking about this the wong way... think of it as a +2/+1 thing.  Win in regulation and you get two points over your opponent... OT = 1.

#68 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Well, you're thinking about this the wong way... think of it as a +2/+1 thing.  Win in regulation and you get two points over your opponent... OT = 1.

You get 3 points in an overtime game and 2 in regulation. It makes no sense because they literally throw a free point in for the losing team.

#69 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

The answer is, lose the shootout, keep the tie but award no points. Points only to winning teams, teams would fight hard to win. No gimmicks.

#70 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Keep the shootout but drop the loser point.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#71 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

If the league is really concerned there are too many shootouts, here's what I think would be an interesting idea. 

Play the full 60 minutes as normal, if it's a tie, each team gets 1 point heading into OT.

Play 4 on 4 OT but with a dry scrape and long changes

But, if the game remains tied after OT and goes to a shootout, remove the single point from both teams and go winner takes all. 

Makes it a gamble to go all conservative in OT praying for a shootout. Not sure if my intended purpose would work though.

Having thought about all of those rules, them helmet one is the worst damn thing. If they were really that concerned with players getting head injuries because they've lost their helmets, then just blow the damn whistle! 

temp 1

#72 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Doesn't make a lot of sense....if you lose in OT, you get 1 pt, but if you make it through OT and lose in the SO, you get no points?

#73 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Doesn't make a lot of sense....if you lose in OT, you get 1 pt, but if you make it through OT and lose in the SO, you get no points?

Yea. Having re-thought this, I think it'd be better just to scrap the loser point altogether and go with winner takes all in OT and shootout. But there has to be something done about reducing the amount of shootouts. 

temp 1

#74 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

I love the shoot out. Thought it was awesome when it first started being used at the frequency it is now. But it's just not fair to decide as many games as we do with it. I like the 4 on 4 then 3 on 3 then SO idea.

Loser point should be scrapped entirely. 1 point for a win in any situation.

#75 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

No one is even considering my idea of rock paper scissors

Bettman consulted his Ouija board and the spirits told him your idea sucks. :)

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#76 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Bettman consulted his Ouija board and the spirits told him your idea sucks. :)

Damn it... I thought it was just as good as a shootout