• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Alfie wants to play

Rate this topic

Uh... So call a guy out for going to a team you doubt has a chance at winning the cup, then criticize his desire to win?

I don't get it...

He was basically the most consistent forward on the team last season. He was a welcome addition in my eyes. If he's healthy, I'd want the guy back.

Catch 22

Just re-sign everyone we had last year. It was a great team, we got screwed, and you'll see....we'll be healthy...you'll all see what a real genius I was....<Holland>

I would definitely sign Alfie over keeping Franzen if that were an option. I know its not, but I think Alfie would do better if utilized on the 2nd line moreso than Franzen. Plus he is right handed. Right now though, signing Alfie would create just more of a log jam and force more kids out.

Francine needs his a$$ sitting at home or in the owners box until he decides to to put some effort into his game.

If Holland was willing to re-sign useless Cleary to another AWFUL contract, then he better be willing to give a contract to Alfie. I will be SHOCKED if he does not bring Alfie back since Alfie said he wants to play. Alfie at 40% is still better then Cleary. Alfie scored 17 goals last season, would have hit 20 had he not missed some games. He was a good leader for the kids while Pav and Hank were both out. He is still extremely effective and is such a smart hockey player that can make our powerplay more lethal then not having him there. I say we bring him back and see what this team can do with a healthy Pav, Hank, Weiss and Aflie.

Problem is, I have a better chance of winning the Lottery than us having a full season with a healthy Pav, Z, Weiss and Alfie....and Helm, Ericsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Howard, Cleary....everyone of them will be hurt at some point of the season...I just beg that its not all at the same time.

Problem is, I have a better chance of winning the Lottery than us having a full season with a healthy Pav, Z, Weiss and Alfie....and Helm, Ericsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Howard, Cleary....everyone of them will be hurt at some point of the season...I just beg that its not all at the same time.

You clearly don't understand your lottery chances sir.

If Holland was willing to re-sign useless Cleary to another AWFUL contract, then he better be willing to give a contract to Alfie. I will be SHOCKED if he does not bring Alfie back since Alfie said he wants to play.

Nothing shocks me any more...well, I guess I'd be surprised if this team excites me at all next season.

Nothing shocks me any more...well, I guess I'd be surprised if this team excites me at all next season.

Like I said at least sign an enforcer to make the games more entertaining and protect our two superstars + young players. But overall yeah I agree this could very turn into the exact same roster which got embarassed against the Bruins and barely made the playoffs just one year older and with teams now knowing how to play against Nyquist, Tatar...

There isn't any room for Alfie. We have $8 Million Cap space left, but once Tatar and DeKeyser sign, we'll have 23 players on the team. Add to that next off season Smith, Nyquist, Jurco, and Andersson are RFA's, with only Cleary and Gus off the books after this year. We need Cap space and spots for our RFA's.

When you look at the Wings cap situation and who's an RFA, there was no room for an over priced UFA. Makes the Quincey 2 year deal look that much better, instead of being on the hook for 7 years and almost $6 Million with someone else.

Edited by Barrie

There isn't any room for Alfie. We have $8 Million Cap space left, but once Tatar and DeKeyser sign, we'll have 23 players on the team. Add to that next off season Smith, Nyquist, Jurco, and Andersson are RFA's, with only Cleary and Gus off the books after this year. We need Cap space and spots for our RFA's.

When you look at the Wings cap situation and who's an RFA, there was no room for an over priced UFA. Makes the Quincey 2 year deal look that much better, instead of being on the hook for 7 years and almost $6 Million with someone else.

Or you could just not sign Quincey at all, have space for Alfie this season and more flexibility in cap space going forward. Just because Quincey's deal was "only" two years doesn't make it any more acceptable. It was unnecessary and overpayment -- I would have gladly taken a better player for longer term. Clearly, it was feasible or Holland would have never bothered offering.

Alfie will be back regardless, if he wants. The Wings aren't in any position to turn down a 50 point player, if Alfie is deemed healthy enough.

Edited by GoWings1905

Or you could just not sign Quincey at all, have space for Alfie this season and more flexibility in cap space going forward.

Alfie will be back, regardless if he wants. The Wings aren't in any position to turn down a 50 point player, if Alfie is deemed healthy enough.

Rather than going back in time, you could just trade Kindl, sign Alfie to another one year deal, and still be sitting pretty next year and beyond cap-wise.

Rather than going back in time, you could just trade Kindl, sign Alfie to another one year deal, and still be sitting pretty next year and beyond cap-wise.

I'm fine with that also, but I would have rather just not signed Quincey at all. Not sure how much of a market there is for Kindl and judging by recent comments, the Wings don't intend to play any of the kids on defense, so Kindl hypothetically still has a spot.

OR...trade Kindl, and don't sign Alfie and give those spots to kids with dynamic skill sets.

I know I'm probably the only one, but I think with Dats, Z, Weiss, and Helm returning, plus the growth of the kids, we probably don't need Alfie's 50 pts. But what we definitely need is to be harder to play against. And one of the best ways to do that, IMO, is to put Jurco, Mantha, Sproul, and possibly Marchenko in the lineup full time.

Will they make mistakes? Sure. But so will 42 year old dudes who can't keep up. At least these guys will be hard for other teams to deal with.

OR...trade Kindl, and don't sign Alfie and give those spots to kids with dynamic skill sets.

I know I'm probably the only one, but I think with Dats, Z, Weiss, and Helm returning, plus the growth of the kids, we probably don't need Alfie's 50 pts. But what we definitely need is to be harder to play against. And one of the best ways to do that, IMO, is to put Jurco, Mantha, Sproul, and possibly Marchenko in the lineup full time.

Will they make mistakes? Sure. But so will 42 year old dudes who can't keep up. At least these guys will be hard for other teams to deal with.

I’m just trying to figure out what Holland will do. Holland would try and move Kindl to make room for Alfredsson. No question IMO.

But yes, I agree with what you’re saying.

I'm fine with that also, but I would have rather just not signed Quincey at all. Not sure how much of a market there is for Kindl and judging by recent comments, the Wings don't intend to play any of the kids on defense, so Kindl hypothetically still has a spot.

Kindl’s still the easiest guy to move.

Based on his comments, I get the sense that Babcock is dying to have either Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul, or Backman on this team next year. One of those guys will probably play well enough in camp to make Kindl expendable once and for all.

I'm on the fence about whether I want Alfredsson back or not. I think he could be a great asset to the team if healthy, but the key is can he be healthy for 70+ games? I'm not so sure. However, I'm 100% sure if Alfie feels that he has enough left in the ol' tank for one more season, he will be resigned.

Cap space won't be an issue with a little over $8M remaining. I doubt that it would cost any more than $4M to resign both Tatar and DeKeyser, and I think Alfie would sign somewhere around $2-3M range.

A roster spot won't be an issue either because no matter how you slice it, Alfie is an upgrade over a lot of players on the roster. If Alfredsson plays, a player like Andersson is easily expendable, cutting the roster back down to 23.

Another option, although very unpopular with most people, still very likely, is to send Jurco back down to Grand Rapids. I think most people know how I feel about Jurco, he is one of my favorite prospects, but I don't think playing another year in the American League would be the worst thing for him. I would certainly rather see him sent down to start the season, than to lose Callahan to another team on waivers.

No matter how the rest of this offseason shakes out, I think most people would agree that a couple players could easily be shed off the roster, namely Andersson and Kindl...

If Alfie doesn't come back we will have lost two 50 point players (Legwand, Alfredsson) and replaced them with Dan Cleary. When you look at it that way, we need Alfie back. I doubt Jurco, if he plays, hits 50. That's 100 points to be replaced. Some of it will be made up by a healthy Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but its hard to say we are better without Alfredsson.

If Alfie doesn't come back we will have lost two 50 point players (Legwand, Alfredsson) and replaced them with Dan Cleary. When you look at it that way, we need Alfie back. I doubt Jurco, if he plays, hits 50. That's 100 points to be replaced. Some of it will be made up by a healthy Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but its hard to say we are better without Alfredsson.

Maybe we'd be better, maybe we wouldn't. But it's not like we were good with Alfredsson, so why not try something different? Sometimes it's all about the team dynamic. Who ever believed Columbus would be a better offensive (and defensive team) without Nash, Carter, Gaborik, or Horton (injured)? On paper it seems like it's crazy, but the team might actually be better in the long run.

Also, you're fudging the numbers to make a point. Legwand played 21 games for us and contributed 11 pts. I get that he was a 50 pt. guy on the season, and so technically we'd have to "replace him". But you make it seem like we're losing a guy who contributed 50 pts. to our team, which he didn't. If anything, you'd have to replace his defense and 11 pts., as anything more than that rested on future potential that was lost the minute they decided not to re-sign him.

I think alfy should be brought back, but I also really don't want to see jurco in the minors as I think he is more than ready to be a regular in the show as evident by his season last year.

We have datsyuk, zetterberg, franzen, nyquist, Tatar, Weiss, sheahan, helm, Abby, cleary, glendening, Anderson, miller, (callahan). That's 14 already without alfy and jurco. I'm assuming Callahan gets waived which means were at 13 without them, I also hope Anderson is traded which means we could have room for both alfy and jurco on the team.

Running something like this...

Z- D- alfy

Nyquist- Weiss- franzen

Jurco- sheahan- Tatar

Abby- helm- glendening/ miller/ cleary

Not a bad forward group at all IMO. If an injury occurs to anyone in the top 9 that gives us roster space to call someone up it should be pulks or mantha getting the call up. If anyone gets hurt on the 4th line it should be either miller or cleary filling in there

Maybe we'd be better, maybe we wouldn't. But it's not like we were good with Alfredsson, so why not try something different? Sometimes it's all about the team dynamic. Who ever believed Columbus would be a better offensive (and defensive team) without Nash, Carter, Gaborik, or Horton (injured)? On paper it seems like it's crazy, but the team might actually be better in the long run.

Also, you're fudging the numbers to make a point. Legwand played 21 games for us and contributed 11 pts. I get that he was a 50 pt. guy on the season, and so technically we'd have to "replace him". But you make it seem like we're losing a guy who contributed 50 pts. to our team, which he didn't. If anything, you'd have to replace his defense and 11 pts., as anything more than that rested on future potential that was lost the minute they decided not to re-sign him.

I think you're overthinking it. Legwand is a 45-50 point player. He continued this consistency with us. No matter how few games he played, that's 45-50 points that could have helped us that now won't.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I think you're overthinking it. Legwand is a 45-50 point player. He continued this consistency with us. No matter how few games he played, that's 45-50 points that could have helped us that now won't. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

40 of his points helped Nashville, not us. I'd agree they Legwand "could have helped", but that's not what you said. You said we had to replace his 50 pts. Which we don't. We never counted on, or got 50 pts. from David Legwand. So we wouldn't have to replace them.

But, as I said, his 50 pts. "could have helped" had we re-signed him. That's sort of a platitude though.

Edit: And it should be noted that if we're talking about replacing Legwand's 50 point potential, then you can rest assured we already have as Stephen Weiss will be back and he's got 50 point potential too.

Edited by kipwinger

Man, that's just sooo not on Alfredsson, at all. The team being "good" or not doesn't come down to one veteran player. He lead the team in scoring - a team that was without it's two best offensive players for a little under half the season, and was probably the most consistent scoring forward on the team throughout the season. He gives the team another look at the PP, and unlike Hudler, Samuelsson, etc. he can actually hold the blueline.

Holland has just left this stale taste in everyone's mouths when it comes to signing veterans. I can't stand signing vets for the sake of it - but this is one of the few vets in recent memory that Kenny should re-sign. For his production, it was without a good chunk of the core offensive players on this team. He was charged with carrying a load for this team that he never should have, and he still did a solid job doing it.

Even if you don't want to consider the guy a top 6'er, he's a great insurance policy. The team stays healthy and you've got a player who can add 50 or so points, he goes down with injury and Jurco can come up. I am fully behind the idea that one of Ouellet/Sproul/Backman/Marchenko should be in Quincey's spot, and I'm also fully behind Jurco being in Cleary's, but I don't think you remove a productive, veteran player from your team for the sake of change.

Man, that's just sooo not on Alfredsson, at all. The team being "good" or not doesn't come down to one veteran player. He lead the team in scoring - a team that was without it's two best offensive players for a little under half the season, and was probably the most consistent scoring forward on the team throughout the season. He gives the team another look at the PP, and unlike Hudler, Samuelsson, etc. he can actually hold the blueline.

Holland has just left this stale taste in everyone's mouths when it comes to signing veterans. I can't stand signing vets for the sake of it - but this is one of the few vets in recent memory that Kenny should re-sign. For his production, it was without a good chunk of the core offensive players on this team. He was charged with carrying a load for this team that he never should have, and he still did a solid job doing it.

Even if you don't want to consider the guy a top 6'er, he's a great insurance policy. The team stays healthy and you've got a player who can add 50 or so points, he goes down with injury and Jurco can come up. I am fully behind the idea that one of Ouellet/Sproul/Backman/Marchenko should be in Quincey's spot, and I'm also fully behind Jurco being in Cleary's, but I don't think you remove a productive, veteran player from your team for the sake of change.

I agree, it's not his fault. But it would be stupid to bring back the EXACT same roster as a year ago, and since he doesn't have a contract, it seems like Alfie would be the reasonable one (at this point) to leave out.

I, like everyone else, wish it would have been someone else (Cleary) but it's too late for that.

But, like I said, I'm of the opinion that we'd be better without him. Not because he's a bad player...he isn't. He produced well. I just think that a young guy with size and drive scoring 35 points makes the team harder to play against than an old guy scoring 45 points. If hockey were only about points, then you'd just pencil your 12 highest producing forwards from the previous year into the lineup. But there's some reason to believe that sacrificing a little by way of points, might make you a better team overall. I've got faith that in a full season Jurco could put up 30-40 points and be WAY harder to play against than Alfie. That's all.

I agree, it's not his fault. But it would be stupid to bring back the EXACT same roster as a year ago, and since he doesn't have a contract, it seems like Alfie would be the reasonable one (at this point) to leave out.

I, like everyone else, wish it would have been someone else (Cleary) but it's too late for that.

But, like I said, I'm of the opinion that we'd be better without him. Not because he's a bad player...he isn't. He produced well. I just think that a young guy with size and drive scoring 35 points makes the team harder to play against than an old guy scoring 45 points. If hockey were only about points, then you'd just pencil your 12 highest producing forwards from the previous year into the lineup. But there's some reason to believe that sacrificing a little by way of points, might make you a better team overall. I've got faith that in a full season Jurco could put up 30-40 points and be WAY harder to play against than Alfie. That's all.

I agree that jurco would be a lot harder to play against and may very well be more productive in terms of a well rounded game to the team than alfy, but in reality they should both be on the roster. Alfy playing with the eurotwins and jurco playing with sheahan and Tatar