• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

If Alfie wanted to win the Cup, he obviously wouldn't want to come back to Detroit.

So that begs the question.  Do we really want a player on our team that isn't serious about winning the Cup?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

If Alfie wanted to win the Cup, he obviously wouldn't want to come back to Detroit.

So that begs the question.  Do we really want a player on our team that isn't serious about winning the Cup?

Uh... So call a guy out for going to a team you doubt has a chance at winning the cup, then criticize his desire to win?

I don't get it...

He was basically the most consistent forward on the team last season. He was a welcome addition in my eyes. If he's healthy, I'd want the guy back.

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

I don't really have a problem with how Alfie played.  He was alright.  But I still just think we'll run into the same exact problem we have for the last five or six years.  Good teams will keep us to the outside and block shots.  Alfie doesn't help with that.  If we don't get guys into the lineup that can play (and score, sorry Abby) around the crease then we'll just keep running up against the same obstacles year after year. 

Edited by kipwinger, 15 July 2014 - 11:56 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

I don't really have a problem with how Alfie played.  He was alright.  But I still just think we'll run into the same exact problem we have for the last five or six years.  Good teams will keep us to the outside and block shots.  Alfie doesn't help with that.  If we don't get guys into the lineup that can play (and score, sorry Abby) around the crease then we'll just keep running up against the same obstacles year after year. 

I agree, and I was hoping that a few other guys would be able to step up into that role. We've got a few who try that net presence role, but don't pull it off effectively.

At the end of the day, if they sign Alfie, I would hope they would flip Andersson to another team to make room for Jurco. Signing Cleary really was pointless, but it doesn't alter Alfie's value for me.

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

I agree, and I was hoping that a few other guys would be able to step up into that role. We've got a few who try that net presence role, but don't pull it off effectively.

At the end of the day, if they sign Alfie, I would hope they would flip Andersson to another team to make room for Jurco. Signing Cleary really was pointless, but it doesn't alter Alfie's value for me.

Agreed.  I'd obviously rather have Alfie than Cleary, but given that one's a done deal, it makes the other a little harder to swallow.  I mean, if Alfie's on the team he's going to play.  And we saw in the playoffs what our forward lines look like with Alfie, Dats, Z, Franzen, and the kids.  Sadly, it wasn't all that great.  Our offense sputtered and we were soundly beaten.  I don't want to see that again, and I don't see any other way of putting lines together which is going to be any better.  It's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Z-Dats-Alfie isn't a great first line.  Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist is completely untried and has a huge question mark in Weiss.  The kid line probably doesn't start together since Jurco will probably go down (considering Holland won't trade Andersson or anyone else to make room for Jurco), and Abby-Helm-Miller/Glendening is good but is only a fourth line.

I'm just not impressed when I write these down...and I don't think anybody else probably is either. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Uh... So call a guy out for going to a team you doubt has a chance at winning the cup, then criticize his desire to win?

I don't get it...

He was basically the most consistent forward on the team last season. He was a welcome addition in my eyes. If he's healthy, I'd want the guy back.

Catch 22

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Catch 22

I guess I just see it that way. Not saying the team is a legit contender, but i won't write them off, yet.

#28 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Just re-sign everyone we had last year. It was a great team, we got screwed, and you'll see....we'll be healthy...you'll all see what a real genius I was....<Holland>

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#29 PumpIron

PumpIron

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

If we didnt resign Cleary and Quincey i'd be all for this, Have yet to see what a healthy alfie and zetter on the same line for a season could do.

#30 twopups

twopups

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

I would definitely sign Alfie over keeping Franzen if that were an option.  I know its not, but I think Alfie would do better if utilized on the 2nd line moreso than Franzen. Plus he is right handed. Right now though, signing Alfie would create just more of a log jam and force more kids out.

Francine needs his a$$ sitting at home or in the owners box until he decides to to put some effort into his game.

#31 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

If Holland was willing to re-sign useless Cleary to another AWFUL contract, then he better be willing to give a contract to Alfie. I will be SHOCKED if he does not bring Alfie back since Alfie said he wants to play. Alfie at 40% is still better then Cleary. Alfie scored 17 goals last season, would have hit 20 had he not missed some games. He was a good leader for the kids while Pav and Hank were both out. He is still extremely effective and is such a smart hockey player that can make our powerplay more lethal then not having him there. I say we bring him back and see what this team can do with a healthy Pav, Hank, Weiss and Aflie. 

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Problem is, I have a better chance of winning the Lottery than us having a full season with a healthy Pav, Z, Weiss and Alfie....and Helm, Ericsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Howard, Cleary....everyone of them will be hurt at some point of the season...I just beg that its not all at the same time.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#33 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Problem is, I have a better chance of winning the Lottery than us having a full season with a healthy Pav, Z, Weiss and Alfie....and Helm, Ericsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Howard, Cleary....everyone of them will be hurt at some point of the season...I just beg that its not all at the same time.

You clearly don't understand your lottery chances sir.

#34 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

If Holland was willing to re-sign useless Cleary to another AWFUL contract, then he better be willing to give a contract to Alfie. I will be SHOCKED if he does not bring Alfie back since Alfie said he wants to play.

Nothing shocks me any more...well, I guess I'd be surprised if this team excites me at all next season.

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:51 AM

Nothing shocks me any more...well, I guess I'd be surprised if this team excites me at all next season.

Like I said at least sign an enforcer to make the games more entertaining and protect our two superstars + young players.  But overall yeah I agree this could very turn into the exact same roster which got embarassed against the Bruins and barely made the playoffs just one year older and with teams now knowing how to play against Nyquist, Tatar...

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#36 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

There isn't any room for Alfie. We have $8 Million Cap space left, but once Tatar and DeKeyser sign, we'll have 23 players on the team. Add to that next off season Smith, Nyquist, Jurco, and Andersson are RFA's, with only Cleary and Gus off the books after this year. We need Cap space and spots for our RFA's.

When you look at the Wings cap situation and who's an RFA, there was no room for an over priced UFA. Makes the Quincey 2 year deal look that much better, instead of being on the hook for 7 years and almost $6 Million with someone else.

Edited by Barrie, 21 July 2014 - 11:34 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#37 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

There isn't any room for Alfie. We have $8 Million Cap space left, but once Tatar and DeKeyser sign, we'll have 23 players on the team. Add to that next off season Smith, Nyquist, Jurco, and Andersson are RFA's, with only Cleary and Gus off the books after this year. We need Cap space and spots for our RFA's.

When you look at the Wings cap situation and who's an RFA, there was no room for an over priced UFA. Makes the Quincey 2 year deal look that much better, instead of being on the hook for 7 years and almost $6 Million with someone else.

Or you could just not sign Quincey at all, have space for Alfie this season and more flexibility in cap space going forward. Just because Quincey's deal was "only" two years doesn't make it any more acceptable. It was unnecessary and overpayment -- I would have gladly taken a better player for longer term. Clearly, it was feasible or Holland would have never bothered offering.

Alfie will be back regardless, if he wants. The Wings aren't in any position to turn down a 50 point player, if Alfie is deemed healthy enough.

Edited by GoWings1905, 21 July 2014 - 11:41 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#38 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Or you could just not sign Quincey at all, have space for Alfie this season and more flexibility in cap space going forward.

Alfie will be back, regardless if he wants. The Wings aren't in any position to turn down a 50 point player, if Alfie is deemed healthy enough.

Rather than going back in time, you could just trade Kindl, sign Alfie to another one year deal, and still be sitting pretty next year and beyond cap-wise. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#39 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Rather than going back in time, you could just trade Kindl, sign Alfie to another one year deal, and still be sitting pretty next year and beyond cap-wise. 

I'm fine with that also, but I would have rather just not signed Quincey at all. Not sure how much of a market there is for Kindl and judging by recent comments, the Wings don't intend to play any of the kids on defense, so Kindl hypothetically still has a spot.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

OR...trade Kindl, and don't sign Alfie and give those spots to kids with dynamic skill sets. 

I know I'm probably the only one, but I think with Dats, Z, Weiss, and Helm returning, plus the growth of the kids, we probably don't need Alfie's 50 pts.  But what we definitely need is to be harder to play against.  And one of the best ways to do that, IMO, is to put Jurco, Mantha, Sproul, and possibly Marchenko in the lineup full time. 

Will they make mistakes?  Sure.  But so will 42 year old dudes who can't keep up.  At least these guys will be hard for other teams to deal with.