• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#141 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

I think Jurco is definitely ready, but he's the only one waiver exempt. Which means he's the one going down until an injury occurs. That's life. 

#142 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Those would be the 4 regular lines if I was the coach, at least to start the season and assuming everyone is good to go health wise.  Callahan would get one reserve spot, the other would be a toss up between Glendening and Joakim "Swedish Emmerton" Andersson, depending on if I wanted a tenacious but unskilled bull dog or a guy with some skill but zero grit as a spare center.  I'd probably go with Glendening.  If I felt really pressured, I'd play Cleary 5 minutes a night the first 10 games to get his bonus then demote him and recall Callahan.

I love Jurco on the top line.  Also, when old man Alf inevitably gets hurt Mantha gets that third line spot.  I also Iike the idea of giving one reserve spot to Callahan.

But what about the defense?  That's much tougher.

Defense is more or less set. Unless they can trade Kindl or will demote Lashoff, the guys they have signed will be the 7 on the roster, including Dekeyser who will be signed.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#143 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

DD that's a good lineup, and one that I would pick also. Cleary really doesn't have a place here, but like it or not, he's the one that will squeeze out Jurco, not alfie. I'm anxiously awaiting training camp so we can find out what happens in this debacle. 

As for the D, they've got to move Kindl really. Now that Q is back for 2 years they've got to free up a spot to at least allow Marchenko or Ouellet to make the team and contribute. 

temp 1

#144 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

I think Jurco will be playing on a full time basis sooner then later. With any NHL team, there always seems to be at least one forward injured at any given time if not more. While I do wish that Cleary retired and Jurco was there from day one, with Franzen, Cleary, Alfie?, Helm, Weiss and Datsyuk in your lineup, I hate to say it, but one will go down. I would be shocked if they all played even 70 games each.

#145 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

-thats the lineup i want too. my argument is we can have both alfie and jurco. maybe jurco will start in GR and miss 15-20 games but thats not a big deal. yes starting the best 12 forwards does involve jurco, but it also involves alfie.

#146 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:36 AM

Z-dat-
Franzen-Weiss-nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-jurco
Miller-helm-

Is what I want. The spaces(first and fourth) are for whoever is on the roster. I'd say first line guy would be Abby or Alfie and fourth line glendening, cleary or Abby maybe even Callahan.

If I had it my way i would have Abby on first and Callahan on fourth. No cleary or Alfie. That's the best with what we got IMO.

And the top four on d would be kronwall smith dekeyser and E paired with whoever works and each pair would play 22-25 mins a night to limit the terrible 3rd pair of Quincey and whoever.

Edited by DeGraa55, 14 August 2014 - 01:41 AM.

#147 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Z-dat-
Franzen-Weiss-nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-jurco
Miller-helm-

Is what I want. The spaces(first and fourth) are for whoever is on the roster. I'd say first line guy would be Abby or Alfie and fourth line glendening, cleary or Abby maybe even Callahan.

If I had it my way i would have Abby on first and Callahan on fourth. No cleary or Alfie. That's the best with what we got IMO.

And the top four on d would be kronwall smith dekeyser and E paired with whoever works and each pair would play 22-25 mins a night to limit the terrible 3rd pair of Quincey and whoever.

That may very well be the most expensive 3rd pair in hockey.

Z-dat-
Franzen-Weiss-nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-jurco
Miller-helm-

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 14 August 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#148 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

-thats the lineup i want too. my argument is we can have both alfie and jurco. maybe jurco will start in GR and miss 15-20 games but thats not a big deal. yes starting the best 12 forwards does involve jurco, but it also involves alfie.

Starting Jurco in GR for 12 games or so isn't necessarily a bad thing. Gives him more experience for a start, I'd much prefer he start the year in the NHL. I guess what I fear is that if the wings start slowly, or look like they're struggling, and there's one particular player who's really dragging the team down (Cleary? Cough Cough), will they do the right thing and demote Danny boy and bring up Jurco? 

Edited by wings4thecup06, 14 August 2014 - 05:20 PM.

temp 1

#149 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Tatar-Sheahan-Alfredsson
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

This is my preference as well. Abby in a role much more suited for his style of play and Jurco up with the Euro Twins. 

Unfortunately, we all know Abby will be pulling the piano and Glendening will get 18 minutes somewhere in the lineup for being feisty. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#150 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

TSN 1200 reports that Ken Holland's considering giving a try-out deal to Daniel Alfredsson [Malik]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#151 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

In that entry, Malik also notes:

Holland also told TSN 690 Montreal's Morning Show that he feels Anthony Mantha can crack the lineup if he makes the "top 9," not just the "top 6"...

It makes sense, since we roll three scoring lines, one of which is sheltered.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#152 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Why not test a more traditional top 6 bottom 6 approach. Mantha has the size to play a checking role and when he has fully adopted to the nhl game use him for scoring.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#153 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

..... Or, maybe play him exactly where he should start the season... In the minors, getting top line minutes, playing in all situations, gaining confidence...

#154 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

..... Or, maybe play him exactly where he should start the season... In the minors, getting top line minutes, playing in all situations, gaining confidence...

You mean I have to wait? PASS

#155 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Mantha as a checker... Makes sense

#156 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Mantha as a checker... Makes sense

Hey man don't joke. Babs will probably kill Mantha's offense by trying to turn him into Glendenning.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#157 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

moved my posting to the lines thread

Edited by frankgrimes, 18 August 2014 - 10:26 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#158 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Somebody should bump the Lines thread. There is much to discuss

#159 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

I agree we all ready have a logjam at forward let him play all year in the ahl and if he lights it up...nhl in 15

#160 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

...so Holland says he is looking to re-sign Alfie and will NOT be signing a depth defenseman or forward.  So our worst nightmare has come true.  Only $4M left in cap, don't know how he is going to split that up between Danny and Alfie...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!