• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#161 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

...so Holland says he is looking to re-sign Alfie and will NOT be signing a depth defenseman or forward.  So our worst nightmare has come true.  Only $4M left in cap, don't know how he is going to split that up between Danny and Alfie...

Dekeyser can take 2.5m on a short deal and Alfie can have an incentive-based contract (like Iginlas this past season) with a base of 1-1.5m plus bonuses.

Definitely FAR from our worst nightmares...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#162 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Dekeyser can take 2.5m on a short deal and Alfie can have an incentive-based contract (like Iginlas this past season) with a base of 1-1.5m plus bonuses.

Definitely FAR from our worst nightmares...

And why should Danny do that ? Tatar got a great deal I'm sure Danny is looking at something around 3 - 3,5 per  which he should be guy is easily worth that.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#163 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

And why should Danny do that ? Tatar got a great deal I'm sure Danny is looking at something around 3 - 3,5 per  which he should be guy is easily worth that.

Great. Pay him that and we're still under the cap.  Still don't see why this is our "worst nightmare".

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#164 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

...so Holland says he is looking to re-sign Alfie and will NOT be signing a depth defenseman or forward.  So our worst nightmare has come true.  Only $4M left in cap, don't know how he is going to split that up between Danny and Alfie...

Alfie will mostly count against the cap next season. I don't think the Wings really need depth either. They need impact players, particularly on defense. Holland whiffed there, but we don't need more Brian Lashoff's on defense. 

Forward actually looks decent if (and it's a huge if) they can stay healthy. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 18 August 2014 - 02:09 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#165 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Out of curiosity.....what depth players out there do you want?

#166 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Ryan Suter and David Backes

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#167 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

The question I asked was based on LeftWinger saying he wanted the Wings to sign some depth players instead of resigning Alfie. Suter and Backes are not UFA so they cannot be signed. Plus, neither would be considered as "depth", and neither would fit under the cap.

#168 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I think Kopitar and Weber are better fits. Kopitar could center our 3rd line if Helm is injured again.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#169 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

The question I asked was based on LeftWinger saying he wanted the Wings to sign some depth players instead of resigning Alfie. Suter and Backes are not UFA so they cannot be signed. Plus, neither would be considered as "depth", and neither would fit under the cap.

My tongue is never far from my cheek, cowboy. :lol:

I think Kopitar and Weber are better fits. Kopitar could center our 3rd line if Helm is injured again.

LIES

i.e. I still can't stand Weber and just want an excuse to have Backes as a Wing.

And :lol: at *IF* Herlmer is hurt again...don't you know that someone's dad's grandpa's chiropractor said Herlmer is a whiny piss baby?! GET WITH THE TIMES MAN!

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 19 August 2014 - 07:17 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#170 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

That's just silly. Kopitar wouldn't even make this team.

And weber? Well I bet even Quincey could make him look bad.

#171 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

My tongue is never far from my cheek, cowboy. :lol:

LOL. You never know on here!

#172 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Nothing really new, but this was on NHL.com today.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

#173 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

Nothing really new, but this was on NHL.com today.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

I don't think the Wings and Alfie will come to a decision until after training camp. Alfie and management know that if he performs well and Alfie feels that he can go for another season then the Wings will probably sign him to some contract that fits AFTER DK is signed. As others have mentioned this is kind of a double edged sword with Jurco starting with the Griffs if Alfie does sign. 

#174 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

I don't think the Wings and Alfie will come to a decision until after training camp. Alfie and management know that if he performs well and Alfie feels that he can go for another season then the Wings will probably sign him to some contract that fits AFTER DK is signed. As others have mentioned this is kind of a double edged sword with Jurco starting with the Griffs if Alfie does sign. 

Personally, I think Jurco was doomed as soon as Cleary was signed. The only saving grace here though is if management sees that Cleary has a horrible camp and decides that they've had enough. 

temp 1

#175 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Personally, I think Jurco was doomed as soon as Cleary was signed. The only saving grace here though is if management sees that Cleary has a horrible camp and decides that they've had enough. 

I don't think he is doomed. The only way he doesn't end up playing is he is sent down to the minors AND every single Red Wing forward stays healthy for 82 games. There is always someone injured, i'm sure Jurco will get his playing time in and by then end of the year be playing every game.

#176 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

I don't think he is doomed. The only way he doesn't end up playing is he is sent down to the minors AND every single Red Wing forward stays healthy for 82 games. There is always someone injured, i'm sure Jurco will get his playing time in and by then end of the year be playing every game.

I meant doomed in terms of starting the season with the Wings and then staying for the season. 

I have no doubt he'll get called up and play at least 20 games at some point. 

temp 1

#177 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Dano is going to get his 10 games to shine, regardless. The real question remains: Will management sit him after he proves ineffective during that stint?

#178 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Dano is going to get his 10 games to shine, regardless. The real question remains: Will management sit him after he proves ineffective during that stint?

Even if Cleary has a horrible camp and is clearly a really bad option to be kept on the roster? I could see it happening if he has a good camp yes, but what if he just can't play at this level anymore? 

temp 1

#179 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Cleary was a healthy scratch last year despite our injury problems. It would happen again this year if he's bad. Last year he was given a pretty long leash, though, and played pretty long after he'd proven ineffective. Hopefully, they'll take a few yards of that leash this year.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 29 August 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#180 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

It is absolutely a problem to keep a player who is not NHL caliber on the roster. Unless he gets a lot better, Dan Cleary is not NHL caliber.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!