• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Favorite Dan Cleary Moment or Play

Rate this topic

Favorite Dan Cleary Moment or Play  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I figured there's not enough Dan Cleary threads around, so we should have another one Quite simply, what was your favorite Dan Cleary moment or play?

For me, there's always been one answer, and it is the penalty shot goal he scored on Kiprusoff in game 5 of the 2007 WCQF.

If you remember, the Wings had choked in the playoffs the previous three seasons, as a higher seed playing against a lesser seed. The season before, we had been embarrassed by an 8 seeded Edmonton team. Once again, in 2007, the Wings were the top seed heading into the postseason. We beat Calgary the first two games at home, but they tied it at 2-2 in Calgary. Coming back home, everyone thought the Wings were on their way to another choke against an 8 seed. There was a lot of tension and panic around (and I wasn't even on LGW then).

The game was 0-0 in the 2nd period, until Cleary got a penalty shot. This is what happened next.

We went on to win that game comfortably and the next game in double OT, and went to the WCF. It's technically not the biggest goal he scored for the Wings (the one against Anaheim was), but the Wings needed that goal, because we might have been facing another choke job in the first round and a possible dismantling of the team. It was also a great move against a top goalie.

What's your favorite Cleary play?

Edited by GMRwings1983

I voted for the game 7 winner in 09.

That will probably win, but I like to forget anything that happened in those playoffs.

Cleary was awful in the 2008 playoffs, but the Wings won the Cup. In 2009, he was brilliant and scored a lot, but the Wings lost and he missed that crucial breakaway at the end of game 6 against the Pens.

2007 is a better memory, because the team vindicated itself after choking in the playoffs in 2003, 2004 and 2006. Losing to Anaheim on a deflection sucked, and I still feel we'd have won the Cup if not for that play, but overall, that playoff feels better. Also likely because we won the Cup the following year. 2009 still stings because the Wings haven't won anything since then.

I voted for the game 7 winner in 09.

Same.

I missed the first two period of the game, so coming back and seeing cleary jam that puck in made my night. One of many exciting moments in the past 5 years for me. (Many better before then haha)

That will probably win, but I like to forget anything that happened in those playoffs.

Cleary was awful in the 2008 playoffs, but the Wings won the Cup. In 2009, he was brilliant and scored a lot, but the Wings lost and he missed that crucial breakaway at the end of game 6 against the Pens.

2007 is a better memory, because the team vindicated itself after choking in the playoffs in 2003, 2004 and 2006. Losing to Anaheim on a deflection sucked, and I still feel we'd have won the Cup if not for that play, but overall, that playoff feels better. Also likely because we won the Cup the following year. 2009 still stings because the Wings haven't won anything since then.

All valid points.

I just had me some level 10 hate for that Ducks team in 09.

But yes, with the injuries (especially to Kronwall and Schneider) it was a great result in 07. To think the Wings could have won that year after so many pundits had written them off post-Yzerman/Shanahan makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Struggles of his past few seasons be damned, I f'in love playoff Dan Cleary. The one reason why I'm not getting upset over his signing, as I know if he is healthy come April, he will be an asset. Hoping he can be this season's Dallas Drake! If only Cleary and Franzen could trade bodies lol.

But I gotta go with that game 7 winner. One of those moments i'll never forget.

I voted game 7 winner.

I was watching NHL network this morning and they were replaying a couple of old Wings games(lidstroms hat trick and 1000 career point) I was thinking how great it was that we were able to take Cleary off the scrap heap and watch him produce. He was very good. I also noticed that another somewhat similar player, Maltby, was terrible to watch. I remember a lof of Wings fans really wishing he would retire or the Wings would let him go. Obviously this is where Cleary is now, but it was great to be reminded how good he once was.

Thank you for creating this thread GMR. With all the negativity being spouted around right now about Cleary and KH, it's actually really refreshing to remember why this guy was beloved in the first place before all this crap.

I voted for when he knocked the crap out of Phaneuf. I still remember that to this day, and I remember being so happy because I hated Phaneuf with a passion at the time.

Wow that was a nice shoot-out goal. I forgot that Cleary had some hand skills back in the day. Also he's moving a lot better. Knee injuries really break a player down.

Wasn't a shootout, though. It was a big moment in a playoff series tied 2-2.

Fight with Pronger. f*** Pronger (though best of luck with his current issues, but as a hockey player f*** him).

I would have picked that if Cleary didn't screw up in the fight. He had Pronger in a vulnerable position at one point, and totally whiffed from what I remember. Any halfway decent fighter would have laid a guy out in the spot.

When he smashed phaneuf and scored right after in the playoffs.

It was actually Draper who scored right after that hit. But yeah, it was awesome.

GWG against Anaheim in Game 7 of 2009. That goal really epitomized Cleary during his best days. Going to the tough areas of the ice and just working hard in front of the net. Those are the good things I want to remember about Cleary that Holland keeps ruining by bringing him back.

Another thing I recall from that game is the Ducks tied it at 3 in the third on an extremely flukey play. Ericsson stepped on a broken stick behind the net, lost the puck and Bobby Ryan ended up scoring.

Those were fun times. Cleary really was exceptional during the 2009 playoffs.

Edited by GoWings1905

Very timely, big goal too. Can't remember what the series was at but remember it being the biggest goal of the series

Came into this thread expecting Cleary bloopers

We lost that game.

Series was either 2-0 Wings or 2-1. I think it was 2-0. In any case, that wasn't Cleary's biggest play of the series.

I voted other. I was a fan of his up until 2010, but that was 4 years ago now. After numerous years of waiting for Cleary to join another team, my favorite Cleary moment was when he "signed" with the Flyers last summer, followed by my 2nd least favorite Cleary moment where he backed out and rejoined the Wings and it's not hard to guess that my least favorite Cleary moment was when he signed again this summer.

That was a nice penalty shot goal, that was a great hit on Phagooooof and any time someone fights Pronger is fun to see, but he's been a Wings a decade as of this upcoming season......hence the poll should have more options in over 500 games.

Man, those post lockout years were (almost) magnificent. 2006, favorites for the Cup. Sure, they choked big time, but they were still overwhelming favorites and won a ridiculous amount of games. In '07 they shed the choke reputation and were so close to the finals. '08 was a Cup win, '09 was a Game 7 final that we played with one hand behind our back and still almost won.

2010 had so much promise, and then the injury parade started, and mixed with retirements we haven't been the same since.

As a born and raised newfoundlander, Dano being the first to win the Stanley Cup, and with my favorite team no less, is my favorite. But the game winner in 09 and the penalty shot in 07 are great moments. I wish Dano had gone out on a high note so I could remember his best moments, not his falling down and IR stints.

The hit on Pheunuf would be a penalty and suspension today...I appreciate all of CLeary's plays he has given us, and I am glad they found him as a UFA that year, but I also appreciate all of Maltby's plays, doesn't mean I want him playing when his days are obviously over. So, I chose "other" because my favorite Cleary play will be when he no longer is a Detroit Red Wing and retires...hopefully this season when he fails to make the roster...