Photo
- - - - -

Favorite Dan Cleary Moment or Play

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Dan Cleary Moment or Play

Favorite Dan Cleary Moment or Play

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

I voted other.  I was a fan of his up until 2010, but that was 4 years ago now.  After numerous years of waiting for Cleary to join another team, my favorite Cleary moment was when he "signed" with the Flyers last summer, followed by my 2nd least favorite Cleary moment where he backed out and rejoined the Wings and it's not hard to guess that my least favorite Cleary moment was when he signed again this summer.

That was a nice penalty shot goal, that was a great hit on Phagooooof and any time someone fights Pronger is fun to see, but he's been a Wings a decade as of this upcoming season......hence the poll should have more options in over 500 games.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#22 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

That will probably win, but I like to forget anything that happened in those playoffs.  

Cleary was awful in the 2008 playoffs, but the Wings won the Cup.  In 2009, he was brilliant and scored a lot, but the Wings lost and he missed that crucial breakaway at the end of game 6 against the Pens.  

2007 is a better memory, because the team vindicated itself after choking in the playoffs in 2003, 2004 and 2006.  Losing to Anaheim on a deflection sucked, and I still feel we'd have won the Cup if not for that play, but overall, that playoff feels better.  Also likely because we won the Cup the following year.  2009 still stings because the Wings haven't won anything since then.

Man, those post lockout years were (almost) magnificent.  2006, favorites for the Cup. Sure, they choked big time, but they were still overwhelming favorites and won a ridiculous amount of games.  In '07 they shed the choke reputation and were so close to the finals.  '08 was a Cup win, '09 was a Game 7 final that we played with one hand behind our back and still almost won.

2010 had so much promise, and then the injury parade started, and mixed with retirements we haven't been the same since.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#23 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Loved seeing Phluffy get rocked.

#24 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,044 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

As a born and raised newfoundlander, Dano being the first to win the Stanley Cup, and with my favorite team no less, is my favorite. But the game winner in 09 and the penalty shot in 07 are great moments. I wish Dano had gone out on a high note so I could remember his best moments, not his falling down and IR stints.

#NOMOREKINDL

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

The hit on Pheunuf would be a penalty and suspension today...I appreciate all of CLeary's plays he has given us, and I am glad they found him as a UFA that year, but I also appreciate all of Maltby's plays, doesn't mean I want him playing when his days are obviously over.  So, I chose "other" because my favorite Cleary play will be when he no longer is a Detroit Red Wing and retires...hopefully this season when he fails to make the roster...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#26 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

Wasn't a shootout, though.  It was a big moment in a playoff series tied 2-2.  

I would have picked that if Cleary didn't screw up in the fight.  He had Pronger in a vulnerable position at one point, and totally whiffed from what I remember.  Any halfway decent fighter would have laid a guy out in the spot.  

It was actually Draper who scored right after that hit.  But yeah, it was awesome.  

To be fair, Pronger grabbed at his face and gouged his eye, putting Cleary on the shelf for some time.  ***** desperation move by Pronger in that fight, as Cleary was no doubt getting the better of him.

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

To be fair, Pronger grabbed at his face and gouged his eye, putting Cleary on the shelf for some time.  ***** desperation move by Pronger in that fight, as Cleary was no doubt getting the better of him.

I wouldn't go that far.  Cleary never was a fighter.  If I'm not mistaken that fight is why Cleary's eyes always look so red.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

I wouldn't go that far.  Cleary never was a fighter.  If I'm not mistaken that fight is why Cleary's eyes always look so red.  

Definitely agree Cleary was never a fighter, but he was definitely holding his own in that one until Pronger went for his eye. I'll never forget it because it pissed me off so damn much. 

It's kind of crazy how unlucky Cleary has been with injuries when you think about it. Eye gouging, getting his jaw broke by a slap shot from Samuelsson. That's just all before his knee issues. 

#29 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

For me, it hasn't happened yet.

The play where he walks to Holland's office and they retire together and live happily ever after in Newfoundland. 

Honestly though, no favorite moments but a few years ago I really appreciated his hustle and heart every shift. 

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#30 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

It's tough to vote against the game 7 goal or standing up to Pronger but that hit on Dion made me leap from my couch. What a monster hit.

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

That will probably win, but I like to forget anything that happened in those playoffs.  

Cleary was awful in the 2008 playoffs, but the Wings won the Cup.  In 2009, he was brilliant and scored a lot, but the Wings lost and he missed that crucial breakaway at the end of game 6 against the Pens.  

2007 is a better memory, because the team vindicated itself after choking in the playoffs in 2003, 2004 and 2006.  Losing to Anaheim on a deflection sucked, and I still feel we'd have won the Cup if not for that play, but overall, that playoff feels better.  Also likely because we won the Cup the following year.  2009 still stings because the Wings haven't won anything since then.

I voted for the Phaneuf hit for the same reasons as yours.  The 07 playoffs were a real coming out party for that team.  That hit helped define us a team that was able to compete and win in the playoffs and wouldn't be physically intimidated.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Loved seeing Phluffy get rocked.

Yeah, that was a great hit. I wish he would do that more often.

Posted Image

#33 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Dannyls heart was never in question, man played hard in the playoffs a few years back
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#34 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

I've always loved that goal against the Ducks. Maybe it's because I dislike them so much, but that goal made me far too happy at the time.

#35 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I liked when Hudler ran over him a couple years ago against the sharks in game 7.

really underlined how that game went... :(

It's hilarious that this is the only time I've seen Hudler throw a big hit and it was on his own player.

#36 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Favorite Dan Cleary moment: '14-'15 season where he bounces back from injuries and the bench and scores 25 goals.

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

If Cleary scores 25 goals this year, I will buy a Cleary jersey, I will drive to Detroit for a Wings home game and I will hold up a sign that says the worst possible thing anyone on this site comes up with.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Favorite Dan Cleary moment: '14-'15 season where he bounces back from injuries and the bench and scores 25 goals.

My favorite part of that season was 2 weeks in when Cleary was cleaning the ice with his knees and eventually got benched

#39 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

My favorite part of that season was 2 weeks in when Cleary was cleaning the ice with his knees and eventually got benched

Why would you hope he has a terrible season? Don't you think it would be better if he had a legit bounce back year and made the team better?

#40 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Why would you hope he has a terrible season? Don't you think it would be better if he had a legit bounce back year and made the team better?

This is bad in the long run, as it will support Holland's terrible decisions to sign over the hill veterans. 

If Cleary does well, suddenly Holland looks like a genius again. 

The best thing we can really hope for at this point is for Holland's vet signings to play terribly so we can hope that he finally figures it out.

Sad, really.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.