• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Where do you get that he wasnt talking with anyone else?

Ken Holland is my father.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#62 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

More advanced stats stuff:

Babcock looks to learn more via advanced stats [Dan Rosen, NHL.com]

"I've seen so many analytics presentations it's not even funny," Babcock said. "Some of them have been very impressive and some of them I wasn't as impressed with, but I love the information. I absolutely love the information. We're in the information business, so how do you get it? And then you have to use your expertise to sort it out."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Advanced stats in and of themselves aren't inherently bad.  It's typically that people often draw conclusions from them that aren't supported by what the data is actually measuring.  

#64 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Advanced stats in and of themselves aren't inherently bad.  It's typically that people often draw conclusions from them that aren't supported by what the data is actually measuring.  

Bingo.  Statisticians the world over will warn you not to put the cart before the horse as far as the relationships between variables go.  It's often not clear which variable is affecting the other.

For example:  When we see that Brendan Smith has a high Corsi it's easy to assume he drives possession.  However, given the fact that he starts in the offensive zone more often than the other top defensemen you'd expect him to be on the ice for more shots at the net.  Not because he's advancing the offensive cause, but because teams typically don't get a lot of shots on net from the defensive zone. 

Must be careful about those pesky causal relationships.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#65 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

This is why our society has dedicated masters and doctorate programs exploring the interpretation and application of statistics. It would be cool to get a Nate Silver like mind into the Wings organization.