• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Dekeyser signed. 2 yrs $2.187 million AAV

Rate this topic

Wings agree to terms with Tatar on three-year deal

"DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today announced that they have agreed to terms with left wing Tomas Tatar on a new three-year contract. In accordance with club policy, additional details will not be disclosed."

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727256

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

With how slow it's been on here lately and the crappy day I'm having at work seeing this makes me a happy camper. I know there's always lots of pessimism around here but I gotta say I can't wait for the season to start and watching the wings play, mediocre or not. Go wingssss!

Edit: and to say something more relevant I'm surprised at how much he got, but definitely not upset about it. Worth it I think even if just to show him the Wings have some faith in him and build a good relationship going forward.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

Ok - am I the only one here wondering what the deal is with Holland & DD?

• Ansar Khan of MLive: (mailbag) Tyler Myers and Mike Green were among the players the Red Wings looked at acquiring this offseason. The Wings inquired about Ryan Kesler but they didn’t have the assets to acquire him or didn’t want to give up what it would take to trade for him. Anthony Mantha and Petr Mrazek are likely untouchable. It doesn’t make sense to trade someone like right-handed shooting defenseman Ryan Sproul. Gustav Nyquist is basically untouchable. If they were going to package Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco or Brendan Smith with a prospect or two for a ‘star’ player, it would depend on what player you would be getting back.Khan thinks the Wings would be better off having someone like Jurco in their top-six over taking a flyer on Dustin Penner. They could use some more size in their lineup, but it’s unlikely they will look at any more free agents.

Danny DeKeyser will probably re-sign before the start of training camp.

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: reported the following quote from From Ken Holland:

“We’ll find a solution. We like Dan a lot; he’s been a real good, young player for us. The hard part is trying to find what’s fair for player and for club. He’s only played 76 games, but he’s a real important part of our team. We’ll get him done.”

I don't think many are worried because there hasn't been a single bad thing rumored/said about how there negotiation are going, and everyone (including DD) are saying he will be signed by training camp. This isn't a Columbus/Ryan Johansen situation........*knock on wood*

Edited by kliq

Nevertheless - DD not being signed, and just days away from the start of camp makes me think the 2 sides aren't close.

It could have nothing to do with money. It could something completely obscure, if the case was they were far apart we probably would have heard something by now about it. It could be like Tatar where they were just different on how long they wanted the contract to be for.

It could have nothing to do with money. It could something completely obscure, if the case was they were far apart we probably would have heard something by now about it. It could be like Tatar where they were just different on how long they wanted the contract to be for.

I wonder if they're trying to gauge whether Alfredson will be playing or not, and basing how much money is potentially available, and how to structure the contract on that. It would explain the delay in signing a contract, and it would also explain why both Holland and Dekeyser seem like they aren't too worried about Dekeyser not signing here.

Edited by Echolalia

I wonder if they're trying to gauge whether Alfredson will be playing or not, and basing how much money is potentially available, and how to structure the contract on that. It would explain the delay in signing a contract, and it would also explain why both Holland and Dekeyser seem like they aren't too worried about Dekeyser not signing here.

No to be that guy who goes there, but the DeKeyser/Alfie math would be a lot friggin easier without the 5.75M that's tied up in Cleary and Quincey.

Forgive my ignorance, but how much do the Wings have left in cap space, and how much can Alfie command at this stage of his career?

According to capgeek the Wings are rolling with a bit under $5.3M. One of the issues is Quincey received a raise and is earning $4.25M, and Dekeyser outplayed in him just about every aspect last year. Dekeyser is also younger and his ceiling is likely much higher than Quincey's, so Dekeyesr's agent can work from a point of strength on that comparison. Another issue is even though Alfredson is old and missed a lot of last season with injuries, he was still the Wings' leading scorer, and the presumption is that if he does play this season, it is because he feels he will be healthier (and thus more effective) than last year. So Alfie's camp also has a good argument to make a good chunk of that $5.3M the Wings have. Obviously Holland wants both guys, and its going to take some cooperation from all three camps to get a deal done that works for everyone. But in the mean time, Holland needs to know if Alfredson is even going to play, and until then, I imagine nobody is in a hurry to get a contract done.

But this is all just speculation on my part.

Guest DeGraa55

Forgive my ignorance, but how much do the Wings have left in cap space, and how much can Alfie command at this stage of his career?

Without actually looking it up it's like 4-5m left I believe AFTER like someone above said we tied 5+m into cleary and Quincey.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Now this is where my beef lies with Holland...Re-signing Cleary - giving Quincey a raise - not signing 1 of our better Dmen who's most likely only to get better?

If Holland fails to get a deal done with DeKeyser and totally messes up the entire thing, then you have a beef. But we both know that he's going to get a deal done because one of his strengths is handling RFA contracts.

Wings currently (according to Capgeek) have $5.27M and change remaining. More importantly, they only have 1 roster slot remaining.

The one roster slot comes into play in that if both Dekeyser and Alfredsson come back and sign, only Jurco can be moved to Grand Rapids without having to clear waivers first. That puts a lot of strain on the roster not having the flexibilty to move youngsters back and forth over the course of the season.

If I were speculating... I'd bet that deals are (potentially) waiting on a trade to be finalized. Alfie expects to be on a bonus-laden deal (probably $1M-$1.5M plus bonuses like the last one) and, if DD and Holland are off, it's most likely length of contract. Looking at the overall picture, though, the Wings wouldn't have much competition in training camp without a trade to give some roster flexibility the risk is losing someone to waivers...

just a thought anyhow...

The highlighted part at the end of your post is what I'm concerned of.

Sure - DD is a RFA - he has little options...That said - he can sit out, or demand a trade (I doubt either will happen)...It just frustrates me as a fan that 1 of our better Dmen on the team (IMHO DD is easily top 4 on the Wings roster) could potentially sit out, or demand a trade due to Holland's foolishness.

EDIT - a GM handling RFA contracts - I'm not certain if that's a strength per se...Unless a player has 'star' quality stats most RFA's are more or less handcuffed by the CBA...Their only hope might be going to arbitration, but for DD that opportunity is long gone.

As far as I'm concerned - Holland isn't anything special when dealing with the young players, but maybe I'm not looking at the big picture, and I'm holding some prejudices against him?

I take it your post is in reference to Alfie?

Yes it was. Stupid phone lol.

The most important re-signing this offseason (save for the UFA disaster) should have been long done but thanks to some ridiculous overpaying it's now dragging on and on with training camp almost around the corner. What a great job...

Danny may not have much options now but he sure as hell will have once his RFA days are behind him and him and his agent will remember the RFA negotiations so Holland better not blow this.

Would make this off-season perfect the only highlights are the re-signing of Tatar and the return of the Monster.

Give Danny 4,5 for 5 years and be done with it.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest DeGraa55

I must agree with both of you guys...However as other have pointed out - Holland has a smidgen over $5 million in cap space left, and if there's any intent on bringing back Alfie - well it's hard to say who gets what.

Once again - re-signing Cleary, and giving Quincey a raise were both questionable.

Questionable? It was god DMAN terrible but remember holland walks on water and does no wrong.

The most important re-signing this offseason (save for the UFA disaster) should have been long done but thanks to some ridiculous overpaying it's now dragging on and on with training camp almost around the corner. What a great job... Danny may not have much options now but he sure as hell will have once his RFA days are behind him and him and his agent will remember the RFA negotiations so Holland better not blow this. Would make this off-season perfect the only highlights are the re-signing of Tatar and the return of the Monster. Give Danny 4,5 for 5 years and be done with it.

Wow! Talk about an over-reaction lol. Maybe if training cap starts and DD is not signed this point would have merit, but at this point nobody knows what is going on behind closed doors.

Maybe DD hasn't decided if he wants to sign a bridge, or a 7 year deal. Maybe Holland is waiting to see if Alfie plays. Maybe Holland is thinking of offering a 7 year deal, but is thinking it over. Maybe there is a trade in the works, and yes maybe Holland is paying hardball. But at this point its all just speculation on our parts. Signing a RFA in July, or September is the same thing. Reacting as if Holland is ruining the future with DD is just guesswork.,NOTHING has come out to indicate there is any bad blood brewing. You want to see a player upset with a GM, look at the Blue Jackets with RJ, Montreal with Subban, that stuff always seems to get out.

I'm sure I'll be told that i'm "simply wearing rose coloured glasses", but all I am saying is people are jumping the gun. Lets wait and see what happens.

Scrolling back through this thread makes me chuckle. How funny would it be if Dekeyser was the one who played hardball and not Tatar. Ya know, after a lot of folks made Tatar out to be some ego maniac who was just biding his time before holding the team over the coals.

I still think it's fine.. With Alfie saying he'll decide before camp, it gives me more confidence in the dk signing getting done. I fully expect that if Alfie signs, since we'll have less space, Dk will get a bridge deal. If Alfie doesn't, I think we'll lock Dekeyser up long term.