• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

Dekeyser signed. 2 yrs $2.187 million AAV

Rate this topic

Dekeyser saw the deal Quincey got and realized he is worth at least 8m...he is double the player Quincey is.

Tatar I'm not surprised. He has a cocky attitude and frankly thinks he is better than what he is so I wonder how far off their numbers are to the wings. Is it a million or two? Couple hundred thousand?

I bet you are spot on here and I hope Holland tries to haggle with DK but he can not afford to let this kids get away.

I'd give DD 5 years at 4mil ish maybe overpay and let him grow into his contract. Tatar probably thinks he should be getting paid perennial 20 goal scorer money

I think 5 years at 4 mill would be a steal for DK. He made an impact immediately (fresh out college) and has continued growing... even started adding some points.

No one on the current Wings roster save Datsyuk and Zetterberg has anywhere near the talent Fedorov had even in his later years on the Wings. Let alone in 98 when he was re-signed and pretty much guaranteed a repeat Cup win and IMHO should have won the Conn Smythe.

If anyone on the Wings besides those 2 say anything like "well I deserve to be paid more based on my skills" then they should be let go. It's one thing to ask for more playing time or to be out of the minors, it's another to want to be paid more and to say in publicly/in the media.

Wait, what are you implying?

I think DD is the best young defenseman we have. It is ok to overpay him even for a long term deal. Tatar is replaceable.

Tatar is replaceable? Because young, top 6 forwards grow on trees and are dieing to come to Detroit? Wouldn't matter if they were, Cleary would have their roster spot anyway...

I really do like dekeyser but he still strullgles definitively against a big hard forechecking team. Also he should never never sniff the pp on a good team as such I think I'd give him a 3 by 3.75 deal

DeKeyser is a poor mans Stuart right now. We all hope develops into something even better. But that's what he is right now

That's a little harsh. Stuart was good for us, but he played for some powerhouse versions of our roster that would've made almost anyone in the 4D spot look good. He was a heavy hitter, but he definitely had his faults and limitations in terms of his all-around ability. DeKeyser's still very young for a top-four defenseman, and he spent most of last season paired with Quincey. He hasn't proven a ton, and yet, he has. Pretty good puck mover, good frame, good mobility, good head for the game, reads plays exceptionally well, has a slightly Lidstrom-esque sense of how to use his body efficiently and effectively - he's a top-four defenseman who plays smart, steady, elegant hockey, and he's only going to get better. We're very lucky (or, if you prefer, fortunate) to have landed him.

The biggest knock on DeKeyser is, I suppose, his possession numbers. This piece gives our D corp's Corsi numbers, which reveal that Brendan Smith is actually a pretty strong possession player. Of course, DeKeyser was always facing pretty tough matchups, pretty tough usage, and, again, he was stuck with Quincey. I think if DeKeyser can get a better partner and Smith can get some power play time and the confidence boost that'd come with the point production, that alone would do wonders for our blue line.

Edited by Dabura

That piece I linked to also mentions Tatar, and that he's a possession monster. That's what makes him so valuable - the kid lives to own the puck and drive the attack and make stuff happen. Granted, he faced relatively weak competition and sheltered usage for a high-end forward (and probably for good reason, i.e. his shortcomings on the D side of the puck), but, if we're going to be the kind of team I think we want to be, one that owns the puck and is always on the attack, then Tatar's golden. I don't believe he's going to be a prissy, entitled holdout, but even if negotations go that way, he's worth slightly overpaying. If we weren't struggling to attract top-end talent, it might be a different story.

DeKeyser will get paid that's for sure if they lowballing him would be absolutely stupid. The guy is already a top 4 pairing defenseman and will only get better. With the contracts Holland has given out this year, I'm sure both Dekeyser and Tatar expect to get paid. If this famous loyality thing is real for Holland than Tatar deserves a lot that guy played through an incredible tough time and even scored a goal so.

I'd be very surprised if we sign either of these guys for more than $2M per year, look at Smith and Nyquists' contracts over the last two years as a guide.

This. Neither has even played a full NHL season yet.

These are RFA contracts, not UFA guys that any team can sign. Nyquist is making 950k a year and Smith is making 1.2. While I do think both TT and DD will make a bit more, it won't be MILLIONS more as some people are suggesting. That isn't how it works with restricted free agents.

They will be short "bridge" contracts to hold them over until they get paid for real (and prove they're worth it over a larger sample size).

That's a little harsh. Stuart was good for us, but he played for some powerhouse versions of our roster that would've made almost anyone in the 4D spot look good. He was a heavy hitter, but he definitely had his faults and limitations in terms of his all-around ability. DeKeyser's still very young for a top-four defenseman, and he spent most of last season paired with Quincey. He hasn't proven a ton, and yet, he has. Pretty good puck mover, good frame, good mobility, good head for the game, reads plays exceptionally well, has a slightly Lidstrom-esque sense of how to use his body efficiently and effectively - he's a top-four defenseman who plays smart, steady, elegant hockey, and he's only going to get better. We're very lucky (or, if you prefer, fortunate) to have landed him.

The biggest knock on DeKeyser is, I suppose, his possession numbers. This piece gives our D corp's Corsi numbers, which reveal that Brendan Smith is actually a pretty strong possession player. Of course, DeKeyser was always facing pretty tough matchups, pretty tough usage, and, again, he was stuck with Quincey. I think if DeKeyser can get a better partner and Smith can get some power play time and the confidence boost that'd come with the point production, that alone would do wonders for our blue line.

Stuart was smart and physical. Right now DD is smart.