372 replies to this topic

#21 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Kadri in Toronto.

I think that's being awfully generous...  I was thinking more along the lines of Killorn in Tampa. Probably at a slightly less annual average.

*I'm referring to possible salary comparisons not types of players.

Edited by Son of a Wing, 17 July 2014 - 05:12 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#22 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

I think that's being awfully generous...  I was thinking more along the lines of Killorn in Tampa. Probably at a slightly less annual average.

*I'm referring to possible salary comparisons not types of players.

Me too... I think Tatar is a guy who we and management severely under rate. And since many of our younger players are held down in the minors I don't have a problem with them wanting to get paid once they finally get promoted. For many of them their NHL careers are 1-2 seasons shorter than they would be with any other organization.

#23 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

Me too... I think Tatar is a guy who we and management severely under rate. And since many of our younger players are held down in the minors I don't have a problem with them wanting to get paid once they finally get promoted. For many of them their NHL careers are 1-2 seasons shorter than they would be with any other organization.

I very much disagree with that.  I think because they develop longer they end up better players because of it and thus make more money.

I still remember when Tatar was venting to the media a while back about how tough it was to watch Cory Conacher playing in the NHL when he knew he was just as good.

Well....look at how that worked out for each of them....

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#24 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Who do people think is a good comparable for Tatar? (non-Wing)

McGinn had a similar season points wise and just signed a new contract

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I could be way off but I was expecting DD to get around 1.7-2m on a bridge deal, and Tatar to get around 1-1.5 tops. One thing Holland has always been pretty good at is getting our RFAs to sign cheap deals, but it is curious that they're "far apart". 

However, this isn't too uncommon for RFA negotiations and really there isn't much risk of losing them, maybe the Wings will have to pay a few hundred K more than they'd like but that's about it.

I'm of the opinion DD is def a top 4 Dman on this team, and if I were Holland - sign him nothing less than 4 years...$3 to $3.75 million per season for 4, or 5 years seems fair.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#26 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'd give DD 5 years at 4mil ish maybe overpay and let him grow into his contract. Tatar probably thinks he should be getting paid perennial 20 goal scorer money

#27 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Dekeyser saw the deal Quincey got and realized he is worth at least 8m...he is double the player Quincey is.

Tatar I'm not surprised. He has a cocky attitude and frankly thinks he is better than what he is so I wonder how far off their numbers are to the wings. Is it a million or two? Couple hundred thousand?

I bet you are spot on here and I hope Holland tries to haggle with DK but he can not afford to let this kids get away.

I'd give DD 5 years at 4mil ish maybe overpay and let him grow into his contract. Tatar probably thinks he should be getting paid perennial 20 goal scorer money

I think 5 years at 4 mill would be a steal for DK. He made an impact immediately (fresh out college) and has continued growing... even started adding some points.

#28 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

I bet DeKeyser will get between 2-3 million per for 2-3 years.  Tatar will get 1-2.

#29 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

DD doesn't even have a full 82 games under his belt yet. No way he gets 4 mil for 5

#30 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

I think DD is the best young defenseman we have. It is ok to overpay him even for a long term deal. Tatar is replaceable.

#31 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

If we can give Quincey 4.5, then we can give Dekeyser the same contract

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

No one on the current Wings roster save Datsyuk and Zetterberg has anywhere near the talent Fedorov had even in his later years on the Wings. Let alone in 98 when he was re-signed and pretty much guaranteed a repeat Cup win and IMHO should have won the Conn Smythe.

If anyone on the Wings besides those 2 say anything like "well I deserve to be paid more based on my skills" then they should be let go. It's one thing to ask for more playing time or to be out of the minors, it's another to want to be paid more and to say in publicly/in the media. 

Wait, what are you implying?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

I think DD is the best young defenseman we have. It is ok to overpay him even for a long term deal. Tatar is replaceable.

Tatar is replaceable? Because young, top 6 forwards grow on trees and are dieing to come to Detroit? Wouldn't matter if they were, Cleary would have their roster spot anyway...

#34 PumpIron

PumpIron

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

im gonna say Dekeyser at 3.75mil per for 3 years and Tatar 2.75mil per for 3

#35 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Who do people think is a good comparable for Tatar? (non-Wing)

Brayden Schenn. Just signed a 2 year 5 million deal.

#36 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

I'd guess they both want 3mil @ 3-4 years. And we want 1mil.

#37 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

I would lock DD up for 5+ years with a deal that will most likely be a steal in the last couple years

#38 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

I really do like dekeyser but he still strullgles definitively against a big hard forechecking team. Also he should never never sniff the pp on a good team as such I think I'd give him a 3 by 3.75 deal
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#39 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

DeKeyser is a poor mans Stuart right now. We all hope develops into something even better. But that's what he is right now

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

DeKeyser is a poor mans Stuart right now. We all hope develops into something even better. But that's what he is right now

That's a little harsh. Stuart was good for us, but he played for some powerhouse versions of our roster that would've made almost anyone in the 4D spot look good. He was a heavy hitter, but he definitely had his faults and limitations in terms of his all-around ability. DeKeyser's still very young for a top-four defenseman, and he spent most of last season paired with Quincey. He hasn't proven a ton, and yet, he has. Pretty good puck mover, good frame, good mobility, good head for the game, reads plays exceptionally well, has a slightly Lidstrom-esque sense of how to use his body efficiently and effectively - he's a top-four defenseman who plays smart, steady, elegant hockey, and he's only going to get better. We're very lucky (or, if you prefer, fortunate) to have landed him.

The biggest knock on DeKeyser is, I suppose, his possession numbers. This piece gives our D corp's Corsi numbers, which reveal that Brendan Smith is actually a pretty strong possession player. Of course, DeKeyser was always facing pretty tough matchups, pretty tough usage, and, again, he was stuck with Quincey. I think if DeKeyser can get a better partner and Smith can get some power play time and the confidence boost that'd come with the point production, that alone would do wonders for our blue line.

Edited by Dabura, 18 July 2014 - 12:37 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!