• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#41 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Dekeyser is a defensive dman not an offensive possession dman. His Corsica numbers will never be at the top.

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

That piece I linked to also mentions Tatar, and that he's a possession monster. That's what makes him so valuable - the kid lives to own the puck and drive the attack and make stuff happen. Granted, he faced relatively weak competition and sheltered usage for a high-end forward (and probably for good reason, i.e. his shortcomings on the D side of the puck), but, if we're going to be the kind of team I think we want to be, one that owns the puck and is always on the attack, then Tatar's golden. I don't believe he's going to be a prissy, entitled holdout, but even if negotations go that way, he's worth slightly overpaying. If we weren't struggling to attract top-end talent, it might be a different story.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

Dekeyser is a defensive dman not an offensive possession dman. His Corsica numbers will never be at the top.

Anton Stralman's a possession monster. Just saying.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Anton Stralman's a possession monster. Just saying.

Dekeyser gets rid of the puck as soon as he has it, that's his game. He's not a possession player, that's my point

#45 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:15 AM

I'd be very surprised if we sign either of these guys for more than $2M per year, look at Smith and Nyquists' contracts over the last two years as a guide.

#46 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

DeKeyser will get paid that's for sure if they lowballing him would be absolutely stupid. The guy is already a top 4 pairing defenseman and will only get better. With the contracts Holland has given out this year, I'm sure both Dekeyser and Tatar expect to get paid. If this famous loyality thing is real for Holland than Tatar deserves a lot that guy played through an incredible tough time and even scored a goal so.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#47 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

I'd be very surprised if we sign either of these guys for more than $2M per year, look at Smith and Nyquists' contracts over the last two years as a guide.

This. Neither has even played a full NHL season yet.

These are RFA contracts, not UFA guys that any team can sign. Nyquist is making 950k a year and Smith is making 1.2. While I do think both TT and DD will make a bit more, it won't be MILLIONS more as some people are suggesting. That isn't how it works with restricted free agents.

They will be short "bridge" contracts to hold them over until they get paid for real (and prove they're worth it over a larger sample size). 

Posted Image

#48 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

That's a little harsh. Stuart was good for us, but he played for some powerhouse versions of our roster that would've made almost anyone in the 4D spot look good. He was a heavy hitter, but he definitely had his faults and limitations in terms of his all-around ability. DeKeyser's still very young for a top-four defenseman, and he spent most of last season paired with Quincey. He hasn't proven a ton, and yet, he has. Pretty good puck mover, good frame, good mobility, good head for the game, reads plays exceptionally well, has a slightly Lidstrom-esque sense of how to use his body efficiently and effectively - he's a top-four defenseman who plays smart, steady, elegant hockey, and he's only going to get better. We're very lucky (or, if you prefer, fortunate) to have landed him.

The biggest knock on DeKeyser is, I suppose, his possession numbers. This piece gives our D corp's Corsi numbers, which reveal that Brendan Smith is actually a pretty strong possession player. Of course, DeKeyser was always facing pretty tough matchups, pretty tough usage, and, again, he was stuck with Quincey. I think if DeKeyser can get a better partner and Smith can get some power play time and the confidence boost that'd come with the point production, that alone would do wonders for our blue line.

Stuart was smart and physical. Right now DD is smart.

#49 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Stuart was smart and physical. Right now DD is smart.

Game 7, 2009 says "hi" :lol:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#50 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Game 7, 2009 says "hi" :lol:

I remember lol

#51 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

I remember lol

I should clarify, I've always been a big fan of Stuart but I still blame him and Ozzie for both of those goals.

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Why are people comparing Stuart and dekeyser? That seems odd to me

#53 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'm not following it either, unless it's just a simple comparison that both are defensive minded d-men. The similarities really end there, though. DeKeyser is a terrific skater and puck mover. Stuart was physical and a great shot blocker on the PK. Two pretty different players and skill sets, IMO.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#54 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Because number9 called him a "poor man's Brad Stewart".

#55 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ya but he's a rich man's Quincey ;)

#56 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Wait, what are you implying?

I was referring to a post saying that Tatar might ask for a huge raise. As an RFA, you shouldn't ask for a raise unless you are indispensable. The only indispensable players on the Wings are 13 and 40. 

91 was indispensable and was not at fault for wanting more money. He obviously was worth it. 

So if he does/is asking for a raise, drop him and don't overpay. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Shoot-outs & Franzen

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#57 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Tatar should only expect to get the same contract as Nyquist

#58 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Tatar should only expect to get the same contract as Nyquist

I agree, or moderately less..

A bridge contract is good for both guys, both ways

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#59 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hurry up sign Danny so I can order my DeKeyser Winter Classic jersey!!!

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Dekeyser gets rid of the puck as soon as he has it, that's his game. He's not a possession player, that's my point

Well you made the defensive/offensive distinction and said it's because he falls into the former category. My point with Stralman is that that distinction doesn't necessarily hold up. Or something.

Not that I fully disagree with what you're saying. DeKeyser's no Lidstrom or Rafalski with the puck on his stick. But, I dunno, I think you're making him sound like Lashoff, and number9 is putting too much on "being physical," whatever that means (besides laying big hits, which I think is largely a take-it-or-leave-it kind of thing, unless the guy in question is a beast like Stevens or Pronger or Chara and brutality is a huge reason why he's one of the best hockey players on the planet). DeKeyser's good with the puck, good without it, uses his body well, has spent half of his NHL career with Kyle Quincey, and - the big thing here - he's only going to improve (unless he continues to be stuck with Quincey). Kid's 24 years old and doesn't even have two full pro seasons under his belt, but I'd feel ok with him on the first pairing with Kronwall.

My original point about the corsi was that it's the one thing a person could, I guess, knock him for, maybe use to talk down his asking price in a contract negotiation or something. But, y'know, we're not a very good possession team at all. And, seriously, Quincey. So, all things considered, he's definitely a keeper. Much more than a guy who "gives the puck away as soon as he gets it" and "isn't physical." C'mon, dudes. Don't hate the player. Hate the game Kyle Quincey.

In short, blah blah blah I'm just talking for the sake of talking blah blah blah.

Someone asked for a Tatar comparable. The first name that popped into my head was Chris Kreider, but I guess that's not very helpful in trying to set a market value for Tatar. Unless he gets extended before Tatar, in which case I think he'll largely dictate what Tatar gets. I'm gonna say Tatar again, because Tatar. Also, Tatar.

blah blah blah

Don't Toews me, bro!