Photo
- - - - -

Dekeyser signed. 2 yrs $2.187 million AAV

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#121 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Ya, there is no way you can compare a rookie to a 12 year vet.  Who would do that? Especially the best two way forward in the NHL...C'mon!

KRSMITH17, if you take Tatar and Datsyuk and put them as rookies together, they are VERY comparable.  When Pav started, he was FAR from the player he is today, he was a 3rd line center playing with Hull and Boyd.  He actually had a stigma about him that he couldn't score in the playoffs (he had 15 points in 4 years.)  It wasn't until 5 years into his career that he shook that off his back (16 points in 18 games.) And it wasn't until that same year that he got his first votes as a Selke candidate, finishing 20th in voting. No one is saying he is as good as Datsyuk today, what they are saying is Datsyuk started out similarly and it is not out of the realm of possibility to foreshadow Tatar maybe taking same path to greatness.  No one knew in 2002 that Pavel would be the player he is today.  They knew he had potential and showed some flash of something special, but to become a near Hart trophy winner, nobody could see that.  Tatar could very well be as good as, or even better than Pavel after he is in the league 12 years from now.  Nobody knows...but it isn't way off base to compare both of them as rookies. That would be like comparing Pavel in 2002 with Fedorov in 2002.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#122 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ok, I understand now Leftwinger. Because the "potential" is there that Tatar can be as good or better than Datsyuk he should be signed to a 5 year 4 million dollar contract. Sorry for my ignorance, it all makes sense now...

#123 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Ok, I understand now Leftwinger. Because the "potential" is there that Tatar can be as good or better than Datsyuk he should be signed to a 5 year 4 million dollar contract. Sorry for my ignorance, it all makes sense now...

Nobody has advocated a 5 year, 4 million dollar deal for Tatar...including Tatar himself who said he's likely sign a two or three year deal.  Also, nobody said that Tatar is a better player than Datsyuk.  The comparison was made because someone said Tatar "needed to prove himself", which is silly.  He exceeded expectations in his rookie year (as did Nyquist). 

The only comment definitively made with regards to a Pavel/Tatar comparison, is that Tatar just had a better rookie season than Datsyuk...which is objectively true. 

Edited by kipwinger, 24 July 2014 - 01:19 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#124 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Tatar had a good rookie year. But he's still unproven so I'm not sure why people think he should get his payday now. He'll get a prove it contract and that's what's best for both sides.

As far as people comparing Tats and Pavs rookie years, it honestly means nothing. Peter Mueller had a comparable rookie year to Anze Kopitar, who both had had better years than Patrice Bergeron, and they all had worse years than Dany Heatley. Now two of them are scrubs and 2 are elite forwards. I'm glad Tatar had a good rookie year, now he has to prove he can continue to do that and improve.

#125 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Having had a better rookie season than Datsyuk's rookie season is absolutely meaningless, not sure why we are discussing it.  Several players in NHL history have had better or even much better rookie seasons than Datsyuk and have gone on to have careers nowhere near the career Datsyuk has had.  The opposite is true as well...there have been players that have had worse rookie years than Datsyuk and have gone on to have better careers than him.  It is really a silly comparison.

#126 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Tatar had a good rookie year. But he's still unproven so I'm not sure why people think he should get his payday now. He'll get a prove it contract and that's what's best for both sides.

As far as people comparing Tats and Pavs rookie years, it honestly means nothing. Peter Mueller had a comparable rookie year to Anze Kopitar, who both had had better years than Patrice Bergeron, and they all had worse years than Dany Heatley. Now two of them are scrubs and 2 are elite forwards. I'm glad Tatar had a good rookie year, now he has to prove he can continue to do that and improve.

Who's suggesting he should get a big payday now?  I haven't seen a single person advocate that.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#127 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Tatar should sign a "bridge" deal, just like most younger players. I can't stand when I see a guy come off of his ELC and get a 6 million dollar contract (not saying Tatar is getting this, or has asked for it) for one season of strong play. The rare occasion, it's deserved and the deal works out. I think there's a lot of risk, as it just sets a bad precedent, and players expect the money without really proving they're worth the contract.

Edited by Jesusberg, 24 July 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#128 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Tatar should sign a "bridge" deal, just like most younger players. I can't stand when I see a guy come off of his ELC and get a 6 million dollar contract (not saying Tatar is getting this, or has asked for it) for one season of strong play. The rare occasion, it's deserved and the deal works out. I think there's a lot of risk, as it just sets a bad precedent, and players expect the money without really proving they're worth the contract.

Who's suggesting he get a 6 million dollar deal?

#129 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Who's suggesting he get a 6 million dollar deal?

I edited it right before you replied. I had Edmonton in mind when I threw out the 6 million dollar figure.

#130 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

I believe that's exactly why he's takening the 2-3 year contract over the 5. Prove yourself during the 2-3, hit your prime and cash in the big contract.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#131 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I have to think holland offered Tatar the same contract as Nyquist. Tatar May think he deserves a bit more having shown he can score in a full NHL season. Or maybe he thinks he should be getting a lot more like consistent 20 goal scorers in the NHL

#132 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

Personally, Im not sure why,

but I think Tatar will make slightly more than Nyquist. Although Holland could use Nyquists' contract as a bargaining chip, next year is going to be a steal for Gus' caphit.

I see Holland thinking tatar is worth 1M, when realistically i think 2M is fair. Where Tatar will think hes worth 3M, and they will likely meet somewhere around 2.

With Holland's past history of retaining RFA's at awesome contracts, I could also see tatar making 900K for the next 2 seasons.

So basically, I guess i have no idea what's going to happen lol. I wouldn't be surprised by anything 

Edited by WingsallTheway, 24 July 2014 - 04:23 PM.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#133 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

Laden incentive contract of he puts up good numbers....
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#134 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Laden incentive contract of he puts up good numbers....

Incentives are only entry level and one year veteran deals.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#135 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

He needs a bridge contract plain and simple, one good year does not get you a long term contract

Jeff Finger, Ville Leino say hi

PS: Johansen should learn from Subban, sign a bridge deal and after a couple years grab a much bigger deal

#136 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Filppula got a 5 year 15 million prove it contract.  I would like to see Tatar and DeKeyser each get 2 years at 2 mil per year and then take it from there.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#137 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Ya, there is no way you can compare a rookie to a 12 year vet.  Who would do that? Especially the best two way forward in the NHL...C'mon!

KRSMITH17, if you take Tatar and Datsyuk and put them as rookies together, they are VERY comparable.  When Pav started, he was FAR from the player he is today, he was a 3rd line center playing with Hull and Boyd.  He actually had a stigma about him that he couldn't score in the playoffs (he had 15 points in 4 years.)  It wasn't until 5 years into his career that he shook that off his back (16 points in 18 games.) And it wasn't until that same year that he got his first votes as a Selke candidate, finishing 20th in voting. No one is saying he is as good as Datsyuk today, what they are saying is Datsyuk started out similarly and it is not out of the realm of possibility to foreshadow Tatar maybe taking same path to greatness.  No one knew in 2002 that Pavel would be the player he is today.  They knew he had potential and showed some flash of something special, but to become a near Hart trophy winner, nobody could see that.  Tatar could very well be as good as, or even better than Pavel after he is in the league 12 years from now.  Nobody knows...but it isn't way off base to compare both of them as rookies. That would be like comparing Pavel in 2002 with Fedorov in 2002.

One thing to bring up in this discussion was that Dats was the 3rd line center on an absolutely stacked team in 02. Tats was relied upon a bit more to even make the playoffs. Not saying Tats will be the god like creature Dats is but lets all pray for it.

OMG you switch one letter at the front and they are interchangeable!!  

2 Mil 3 yr prove it deal with some bumps for performance.

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#138 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Let's not compare Tatar's situation with the 3 guys in Edmonton who signed for $6M.

#139 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Good read.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#140 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Let's not compare Tatar's situation with the 3 guys in Edmonton who signed for $6M.

Ok... then Henrique with the Devils? Not sure which comparison would be more to your liking, but my point remains that players shouldn't be offered anything more than a bridge deal coming off their ELC contracts. RNH (who I was thinking of) is an extreme example of the situation. I'm not comparing Tatar to either one of those guys, not directly. - I'm discussing players coming off their ELC's being given deals that haven't worked out to date.