#21 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Callahan>Cleary.

We'll lose him to waivers.

Based on what?  One Clarkson like season in the AHL?

On second thought, Burke might claim him and sign him to an 8 year $40 mil extension.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#22 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Based on what?

Erm...every possible hockey attribute?

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,200 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Based on what?  One Clarkson like season in the AHL?

On second thought, Burke might claim him and sign him to an 8 year $40 mil extension.

A budget team with a weak bottom six and problems on the D side of the puck might be interested in him. A team like the Sens, maybe.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

You guys are seriously over rating him. He's projected as a 4th line agitator, not a second line scorer.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#25 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

You guys are seriously over rating him. He's projected as a 4th line agitator, not a second line scorer.

I said he was better than Cleary, who is projected as being nowhere in the NHL without his man-crushees.

A 4th line agitator/mini-Holmstrom>absolutely nothing. Callahan brings skills that this team has lacked for a while.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#26 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

I said he was better than Cleary, who is projected as being nowhere in the NHL without his man-crushees.

A 4th line agitator/mini-Holmstrom>absolutely nothing. Callahan brings skills that this team has lacked for a while.

That doesn't mean he'd be claimed on waivers

#27 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

I agree- he has improved each season since joining the WHL and provides a role the Wings lack.

#28 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

I don't think anyone is "over rating" Callahan, but I for one would be pissed if we lost him to waivers. No one is saying that he is the next big thing, just that he could be a great 4th line grinder in the mold of a Maltby. I love the kid and I hope he steals a full time spot on our crowded 4th line sometime this season...

#29 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

I'd like to see the guy get a shot on the team. I don't think anyone's going to mistake him for a 2nd liner, but as has been mentioned by a few others, he could bring a different element to this team. He may not fit on anything but a 4th line in Detroit, but I think he could compliment skilled guys by being a distraction and screening the goaltender. The net presence, piano pulling guys have their place on NHL clubs, too... should he grow into that role.

He may not turn into that, but the downside is that he'd fit in as a 4th liner who brings high energy and good tempo.