• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

I've noticed it's the people in the suburbs who are usually pessimistic about downtown. I've been living here the past two years and it has been a blast. No one here is "waiting for a revival." It's already pretty awesome. I have no doubt these plans will make it better.

Here is the view from my apartment and you can see the lots along Woodward where the stadium will stand. You can see the FOX theater sign for a point of reference. I'll post more pictures once they start construction.

I'm moving down in August. Is that Iodent you're in?

#122 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Yes sorry wasn't trying to bring up politics just have read so many articles bashing it and wasn't sure what is true or what is just knee jerk reaction of the numbers first coming out... I know there were talks that Detroit residence would get a certain % of the jobs and such don't know if they were released. I'm not a Detroit native but have visited and as an outside view it will be nice to have a place to take my Gf to see a game and areas to walk and see besides hockeytown cafe as such... Hopefully it works and does give the city and little push in the right sireftion

#123 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Is this project really worth all the criticism it is getting. I figured most arenas get paid for by the city so I don't understand why the big fuss about tax dollars paying for it?

Well.....Considering Detroit is bankrupt.

What helps more, blocks and blocks of blight, or 3 major sports venues a stones throw away from each other with residential, retail, and restaurant space along with concert venues?

Do any of the other major cities have an arena, football stadium and baseball stadium so close together?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#124 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

What helps more, blocks and blocks of blight, or 3 major sports venues a stones throw away from each other with residential, retail, and restaurant space along with concert venues?Do any of the other major cities have an arena, football stadium and baseball stadium so close together?

Other major cities also have other tourist attractions. Detroit really doesn't have much at all. There's far more negative than good...but this is a step in the right direction. But still a LONG way to go.

#125 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I'm moving down in August. Is that Iodent you're in?

I'm in Kales. Great area to live. Great restaurants and events. Wonderful biking city. My buddies and I walk next door and scalp Tigers tickets for cheap halfway through games. Sure, there are a bunch of empty buildings around, and that is by no means a great thing, but I feel the people here embrace it as the city's aesthetic and character. It's part of the whole package.

I think the plans for construction will really attract further life down here once people realize how convenient and fun the area around the statiums is.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#126 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

What helps more, blocks and blocks of blight, or 3 major sports venues a stones throw away from each other with residential, retail, and restaurant space along with concert venues?Do any of the other major cities have an arena, football stadium and baseball stadium so close together?

Philadelphia does I believe, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#127 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

I'm in Kales. Great area to live. Great restaurants and events. Wonderful biking city. My buddies and I walk next door and scalp Tigers tickets for cheap halfway through games. Sure, there are a bunch of empty buildings around, and that is by no means a great thing, but I feel the people here embrace it as the city's aesthetic and character. It's part of the whole package.

I think the plans for construction will really attract further life down here once people realize how convenient and fun the area around the statiums is.

Was checking out the website...Outta curiosity - does it include some form of secure parking?

In 6 to 8 years those units could be a 'gold mine'.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#128 AndrewK80

AndrewK80

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Great pic.  Jealous.  You'll have a great view of the construction and then an incredible spot once everything is up and running.  If I didn't have kids, I'd be right there with you.

I've noticed it's the people in the suburbs who are usually pessimistic about downtown. I've been living here the past two years and it has been a blast. No one here is "waiting for a revival." It's already pretty awesome. I have no doubt these plans will make it better.

Here is the view from my apartment and you can see the lots along Woodward where the stadium will stand. You can see the FOX theater sign for a point of reference. I'll post more pictures once they start construction.

#129 UpstateNYRedWingsFan

UpstateNYRedWingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Philadelphia does I believe, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

They have 4 arena's all together I think. But IIRC it's not "downtown" like this would be.

#130 redalert02

redalert02

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

A panorama of the arena site from Amy Haimerl (Crain's Detroit Business)

1z6s38x.jpg

Someone posted this on another forum:

Could the Red Wings have possibly been inspired by this design?

PPL Center in Allentown, PA

allentown-arena-2.jpg

http://www.butzenter...bCams/Arena.jpg

It looks very similar just on a smaller scale and without the glass-enclosed concourse and LED roof. 

#131 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

That looks pretty sweet looking as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#132 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

What helps more, blocks and blocks of blight, or 3 major sports venues a stones throw away from each other with residential, retail, and restaurant space along with concert venues? Do any of the other major cities have an arena, football stadium and baseball stadium so close together?

St Louis' teams play within a walk of each other. Scotttrade being the furthest of the three away.

I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#133 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

http://www.foxsports...-at-1-30-092514

LIVE STREAM: Watch arena district groundbreaking ceremony today at 1:30

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#134 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

They do, I was about to say Philly...When I went there you drive from the airport and bam, all the arenas are right there.  Whether they are downtown or not, I don't know the city well enough to say.

http://www.foxsports...-at-1-30-092514

LIVE STREAM: Watch arena district groundbreaking ceremony today at 1:30

Ha, they have a choir singing Eminem's "Lose Yourself"

Edited by rrasco, 25 September 2014 - 01:11 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#135 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

So it begins.

med_gallery_2560_86_228531.jpg

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#136 Krystal

Krystal

Hank's My Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

I don't really know much about it.  Is it conceptually similar to Detroit's proposed arena?

The arena itself isn't so much, but the concept for it being a hub for a bigger surrounding area is right on the money. I was down there for the Stars/Blues game on Saturday and the Power & Light district gets quite a bit of business. It'd be a monumental change for everything down there if they had an actual tenant in the building as opposed to just using it for random exhibition games, wrestling events, concerts, etc. If they had an NBA or NHL team in there - then the poor saps in Jackson county who voted for it might finally get something back out of it all :P

I really liked the arena overall though - it was clean and it looked like (from what I could see) that there wasn't really a bad seat to see the game. It's really a shame they convinced voters to build it before they had anyone signed up to stay there. They were trying to advertise people hosting business meetings and parties there during the game :( It's literally reduced a huge, excellent arena into an over-sized board room.

#137 Yzerman19

Yzerman19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

They do, I was about to say Philly...When I went there you drive from the airport and bam, all the arenas are right there.  Whether they are downtown or not, I don't know the city well enough to say.

I've lived 2 years in Philly, and what you say is totally true. All major sports structures are there, not far from the airport, not far from the highway and south downtown at a start/end of a subway line, making it even more easy to schedule trains the day of an event.

I expect that the same sort of things in Detroit would be great, especially if it is not that out of downtown. Hearing how bad has been the crisis for the city, maybe launching a new complex like this would help re-establish some prospering trends. Wait and see.

If the Wings get a new home I do hope they'll get a new face, a more gritty one :)