• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
55fan

Babcock on using advanced stats

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727093&navid=nhl:topheads

I'll admit that I'm not at all a math or numbers person, but I've done some reading on Corsi and Fenwick. I've been wondering how much weight stats have in coaching decisions such as ice time and line combos as well as for the GM decisions with drafting and trading.

It sounds like Babs has a good handle on using them as a tool in his kit rather than the sole deciding factor, which I see as a good thing.

My bachelors was in a degree relating to social stats. During that time I did my best to relate everything I did to sports (I'm not claiming to be an expert). But, when looking at advanced stats, Tatar is awesome. As in, he stand out the most. Nyquist also has formidable advanced stats. Those two are clearly ahead of the curve. Just like the opinions we would paint.

I was reading an article in The Hockey News in June and it was all about advanced stats like Fenwick and Corsi. The article said Datsyuk is the measuring stick for new stats as in if they test a new stat using him as an example and he doesn't do well, the stat doesn't hold up.

I wish I could find the original article online but I haven't been able to.

I was reading an article in The Hockey News in June and it was all about advanced stats like Fenwick and Corsi. The article said Datsyuk is the measuring stick for new stats as in if they test a new stat using him as an example and he doesn't do well, the stat doesn't hold up.

I wish I could find the original article online but I haven't been able to.

That's where I read it! I remember reading something about Datsyuk and stats, but I couldn't remember what it was.

Now we'll have to call him the Measuring Man. Or the Standard Man. Nah, Magic Man has a better ring to it.