• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#121 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Yeah we get that, but remember two years ago. Finished 7th, beat the Ducks in 7, then went on to take the Hawks to 7 games (OT) but lost. Anything can happen in the playoffs but I'm sure you'll sit there and say 7th isn't 8th blah blah blah.

If by "anything can happen in the playoffs" you mean "Cindarella teams don't win the Stanley Cup," then you are correct. LA's continued success has demonstrated that the team wasn't the fluke so many claimed it was a couple of years ago.

Name a genuine Cinderella that has won it all in the modern NHL.

#122 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

But given the fact there's only 14 teams. So they only need to beat 6 I think it can be done as well. But it's not much to brag about.

16 teams. 14 in the west

Edit: I think you were talking about Edmonton not Detroit. So if you were, then you were correct.

Edited by Euro_Twins, 05 August 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#123 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

16 teams. 14 in the west

Edit: I think you were talking about Edmonton not Detroit. So if you were, then you were correct.

Yes lol

#124 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

A minor thing I just wanted to clear up: when I say "basement" I mean bottom of the conference. That we could slide that far down is pretty much a non-possibility, IMO.

Here's a decent piece which, I think, sort of echoes the point I and others are making about the Wings' "five year drought":

Road to Recovery: How the Sharks are Rebuilding [The Hockey Writers]

To be honest everyone has their own idea of what a rebuild should involve. It could be trading away core players, acquiring draft picks, making the team younger, or hiring new staff which gives the team a newer look or in a sense “rebuilding” it. Essentially a team does a combination of all of these things but one thing that is absolutely not required in a rebuild is losing. A team does not have to lose in order to rebuild. The Detroit Red Wings are a prime example of this. They built a team that was meant to succeed in the playoffs off of a number of players such as Steve Yzerman, Brenden Shanahan and Sergei Fedorov. When it came time to rebuild the Red Wings did not have to begin losing due to players such as Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen. Now these players are starting to age but it looks as if the Red Wings are ready to rebuild on the fly again with players such as Tomas Tatar and Gustav Nyquist.

[ . . . . ]

There is a difference between what someone says and what someone does. What Doug Wilson has done in two years is get rid of eight players over the age of 30 while only signing three new players over the age of 30 in Hannan, Torres and Scott. At the same time the San Jose Sharks have managed to replace core positions within the lineup. Just like the Detroit Red Wings the San Jose Sharks are rebuilding but losing is not part of the formula. Good drafting and development coaching has kept the team competitive on the ice, which has deceived us into thinking there is no rebuild taking place in San Jose. Doug Wilson may receive criticism for not signing veteran players and making a few poor signings but he doesn’t receive any praise for helping the Sharks make the playoffs while they are rebuilding.

All teams rebuild but some teams do not lose when they do.  The “winning rebuild” is nothing new as it worked for the Red Wings and Devils after the late 90′s. It also worked for the Montreal Canadiens who managed to win five or more Stanley Cups in three consecutive decades. Because of this “winning rebuild” it is tough to clarify what type of team the Sharks truly are.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#125 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

Until we win a cup again the rebuild hasn't been complete. So people should stop saying it worked cause fact is no one knows if it has or not yet.

Frankly for me its whatever comes first shows if it worked or not. Do we win a cup first or get a top 5 draft pick.

They wings have continued to make the playoffs but haven't been in contention for a cup in awhile. They still have many major holes and lots of kids who need to grow so it'll be a bit yet before we see the direction they're heading lately it's been downward.

#126 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

Until we win a cup again the rebuild hasn't been complete. So people should stop saying it worked cause fact is no one knows if it has or not yet.

Frankly for me its whatever comes first shows if it worked or not. Do we win a cup first or get a top 5 draft pick.

They wings have continued to make the playoffs but haven't been in contention for a cup in awhile. They still have many major holes and lots of kids who need to grow so it'll be a bit yet before we see the direction they're heading lately it's been downward.

They haven’t been favourite for a cup, that’s for sure. But, I'd say losing to the eventual cup champions (Chicago) in the second round, in game 7, in OT can classify you as at least "contending". Just one of those shots on goal slips by Crawford in OT, and Wings are in the final four against L.A.

Again, I am not saying they were a favourite, I’m not saying they were better then Chicago, I’m not saying they should have won, but in 2013 they were definitely in "contention". Nobody else even took Chicago to game 7, let alone game 7 OT. Not Minnesota, not L.A, not even the Bruins.

I think with the Wings winning 4 cups between ’97-’08, some fans have unrealistic expectations. In the post salary cap world, things simply are not going to be the same. Its not the payers faults, managements fault, or ownerships fault, just simply a result of the system in place.

#127 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I'm not saying, "The rebuild was a success! Hallelujah!" I'm just saying it's a thing, and it's been going on for probably at least the past three years, and it's still going on, and we should start reaping some benefits this season. And if we don't reap any benefits, and if nothing comes of all this but failure, then we have a serious problem and I'm going to revert to what I normally do, which is piss and moan. Then I'll be right there with you, DeGraa. ;)

I think with the Wings winning 4 cups between ’97-’08, some fans have unrealistic expectations. In the post salary cap world, things simply are not going to be the same. Its not the payers faults, managements fault, or ownerships fault, just simply a result of the system in place.

Right. These past several years have been the first real hiccup in about 20 years. It's the cap and parity catching up to us. The last time we rebuilt, we had carry-over players like Lidstrom and Draper, and we'd managed to find two franchise players in Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and we weren't deep into the cap era. That it'd be harder this time was an inevitability. But I think the worst is actually over, which, if true, means our lowest point in about 15-20 years still saw us making the playoffs. And, like I've noted before, we've had some pretty s*** luck with postseason matchups, drawing two really good Sharks teams that had our number, a Predators team that had our number, a really good Ducks team (which we defeated), an elite Blackhawks team (which we nearly defeated), and an elite Bruins team. Granted, if you finish in seventh or eighth, you're getting what you deserve, which is a team that's superior to yours. But, still, I feel like we've been better than our recent results (mostly the past two seasons) would suggest. That, to me, is encouraging and gives me reason to be at least cautiously optimistic that we're going to see the start of something great in the next couple of seasons and that we could be back to seriously contending as early as 2016-17. Which would be pretty incredible, all things considered.

I really like our prospect pool and the young roster talent. I don't feel we have a Datsyuk or a Lidstrom, but we do have an overall stronger collection of young players than we're used to. Smith, DeKeyser. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan. Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Athanasiou. Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul, Backman, Jensen. Mrazek. Good things are coming our way, IMHO.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#128 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,955 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

My prediction is that we'll be so bad that Dabura, LeftWinger and myself will not have accounts on LGW by the end of the season.  

:hehe:

Edited by GMRwings1983, 06 August 2014 - 01:13 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#129 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

They havent been favourite for a cup, thats for sure. But, I'd say losing to the eventual cup champions (Chicago) in the second round, in game 7, in OT can classify you as at least "contending". Just one of those shots on goal slips by Crawford in OT, and Wings are in the final four against L.A.

Again, I am not saying they were a favourite, Im not saying they were better then Chicago, Im not saying they should have won, but in 2013 they were definitely in "contention". Nobody else even took Chicago to game 7, let alone game 7 OT. Not Minnesota, not L.A, not even the Bruins.

I think with the Wings winning 4 cups between 97-08, some fans have unrealistic expectations. In the post salary cap world, things simply are not going to be the same. Its not the payers faults, managements fault, or ownerships fault, just simply a result of the system in place.

I don't think anyone has unrealistic expectations. In the sports world whether it's football hockey or baseball what's the goal? To win championships. That's everyone's goal. It's just not possible to maintain it forever. EVERY team has rebuild and transition periods.

I'm not saying, "The rebuild was a success! Hallelujah!" I'm just saying it's a thing, and it's been going on for probably at least the past three years, and it's still going on, and we should start reaping some benefits this season. And if we don't reap any benefits, and if nothing comes of all this but failure, then we have a serious problem and I'm going to revert to what I normally do, which is piss and moan. Then I'll be right there with you, DeGraa. ;)

Right. These past several years have been the first real hiccup in about 20 years. It's the cap and parity catching up to us. The last time we rebuilt, we had carry-over players like Lidstrom and Draper, and we'd managed to find two franchise players in Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and we weren't deep into the cap era. That it'd be harder this time was an inevitability. But I think the worst is actually over, which, if true, means our lowest point in about 15-20 years still saw us making the playoffs. And, like I've noted before, we've had some pretty s*** luck with postseason matchups, drawing two really good Sharks teams that had our number, a Predators team that had our number, a really good Ducks team (which we defeated), an elite Blackhawks team (which we nearly defeated), and an elite Bruins team. Granted, if you finish in seventh or eighth, you're getting what you deserve, which is a team that's superior to yours. But, still, I feel like we've been better than our recent results (mostly the past two seasons) would suggest. That, to me, is encouraging and gives me reason to be at least cautiously optimistic that we're going to see the start of something great in the next couple of seasons and that we could be back to seriously contending as early as 2016-17. Which would be pretty incredible, all things considered.

I really like our prospect pool and the young roster talent. I don't feel we have a Datsyuk or a Lidstrom, but we do have an overall stronger collection of young players than we're used to. Smith, DeKeyser. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan. Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Athanasiou. Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul, Backman, Jensen. Mrazek. Good things are coming our way, IMHO.

I agree it's been going on for awhile I just don't think we will see the benefits yet. I think were a few years out before we can truly judge how it went. Once dat is gone and were left with the injury prone Z let's see how the team is doing then.

I also agree that I like the prospect pool as well. But they're prospects who haven't proven anything yet. But based on one season of the couple we've seen they have looked good. Hope it continues!!

#130 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

due to d and z getting injured all the time the wings have plenty of experience playing without them.

Edited by martinezsvsu, 06 August 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#131 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

I don't think anyone has unrealistic expectations.

I have to 100% respectfully disagree with you, this is definitely a real thing. Its simply a natural occurrence after winning 4 cups in 11 seasons, and being a contender or even a favourite the other 7.

People (not everyone of course), now have an expectation of the Wings that they need to be a cup contender every year, or management are a bunch of failures. However my original point was that in today's NHL it is unrealistic to think this way. I'm not saying that YOU necessarily think this way, but a large percentage of fans do.

In the sports world whether it's football hockey or baseball what's the goal? To win championships. That's everyone's goal. It's just not possible to maintain it forever. EVERY team has rebuild and transition periods.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree it's been going on for awhile I just don't think we will see the benefits yet. I think were a few years out before we can truly judge how it went. Once dat is gone and were left with the injury prone Z let's see how the team is doing then.

I also agree that I like the prospect pool as well. But they're prospects who haven't proven anything yet. But based on one season of the couple we've seen they have looked good. Hope it continues!!

For the most part I agree with you. I believe we will start seeing the results of the rebuild sooner then later, but only time will tell, and of course there are so many different variables that come into play (ie. injuries, coaching changes, etc.).

Edited by kliq, 06 August 2014 - 11:09 PM.

#132 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:46 AM

My prediction is that we'll be so bad that Dabura, LeftWinger and myself will not have accounts on LGW by the end of the season.  

:hehe:

That's what I love about this site, moderators aren't acting like dictators and other views are allowed.

Personally I'm going into the season as a somewhat  evaluation year, I don't expect much but will be very happy if the Wings exceed my expectations. If they suck I will also be very happy, because ...well...hello Connor McDavid and that guy is worth one year of a playoff drought.

btw. The Devils aren't likely to bring Brodeur back so I guess he is Pens bound as Fleury's backup.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#133 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I have to 100% respectfully disagree with you, this is definitely a real thing. Its simply a natural occurrence after winning 4 cups in 11 seasons, and being a contender or even a favourite the other 7.

People (not everyone of course), now have an expectation of the Wings that they need to be a cup contender every year, or management are a bunch of failures. However my original point was that in today's NHL it is unrealistic to think this way. I'm not saying that YOU necessarily think this way, but a large percentage of fans do.

For the most part I agree with you. I believe we will start seeing the results of the rebuild sooner then later, but only time will tell, and of course there are so many different variables that come into play (ie. injuries, coaching changes, etc.).

In large part I agree with many of your points, but I do want to say two things. 

1.  Ken Holland himself, on many occasions, has stated that the Detroit Red Wings organization expects to compete for the Cup every year.  If fans have "unrealistic" expectations, it's only because they've listened to (and believed) what management has been telling them.

2.  Aside from that, even if it's "unrealistic" to WIN the Cup every year, it's not unrealistic to expect the organization to TRY.  Which is really all that most fans want.  Nobody really thinks we can win every single year forever.  It's a little bit patronizing to talk about fans and their "unrealistic" expectations when all they really expect is that the organization try to compete for championships.  That's the whole point of competition after all.  To do so requires that management ice the best possible team each year.  Many fans (rightly or wrongly) believe that isn't happening. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#134 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

In large part I agree with many of your points, but I do want to say two things. 

1.  Ken Holland himself, on many occasions, has stated that the Detroit Red Wings organization expects to compete for the Cup every year.  If fans have "unrealistic" expectations, it's only because they've listened to (and believed) what management has been telling them.

2.  Aside from that, even if it's "unrealistic" to WIN the Cup every year, it's not unrealistic to expect the organization to TRY.  Which is really all that most fans want.  Nobody really thinks we can win every single year forever.  It's a little bit patronizing to talk about fans and their "unrealistic" expectations when all they really expect is that the organization try to compete for championships.  That's the whole point of competition after all.  To do so requires that management ice the best possible team each year.  Many fans (rightly or wrongly) believe that isn't happening. 

I don’t believe the Wings are not trying, I believe they are not willing to jeopardize their future to win now. They could trade the kids and be better in 2014, but that would hurt their bright future. They could make made a bigger splash in free agency, but then that would require signing someone to a bad contract that would restrict them cap wise down the road, which could result in them losing one of the kids 3 years from now. A few perfect examples of this is Toronto signing David Clarkson, leafs fans got a “big signing” a year ago, but that “big signing” ended up being a dud, and now they have a cap hit of 5.25million until 2021. Washington signed Niskanen to a 7 year deal with a cap hit of 5.75 million, the guy had 1 good year, very very strong possibility this blows up in their face at some point. Even the Suter signing a few years ago by Minnesota, I’m glad Detroit didn’t sign him. Minnesota now has a cap hit of 7,538,462 until 2025. Suter is 29 right now with 11 years left. If he regresses in lets say 3 years, this contract will severely handcuff them for another 8 years!

I’m not saying that you are in any way implying that the Wings should have made any of the above moves, I’m just using those examples to make my point. My point being simply that making a move to make you better “now” is not always what is best move for the franchise as whole. If this was pre-cap and they make a bad UFA signing, all that does is hurt them financially, now a days in can result in you having to lose very good players down the road because you cant fit them under the cap.

#135 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

They squeak into the playoffs as a wild card, unless they get bitten by the injury bug. This has been the story for the last couple seasons, so why not this year? 

#136 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

I don’t believe the Wings are not trying, I believe they are not willing to jeopardize their future to win now. They could trade the kids and be better in 2014, but that would hurt their bright future. They could make made a bigger splash in free agency, but then that would require signing someone to a bad contract that would restrict them cap wise down the road, which could result in them losing one of the kids 3 years from now. A few perfect examples of this is Toronto signing David Clarkson, leafs fans got a “big signing” a year ago, but that “big signing” ended up being a dud, and now they have a cap hit of 5.25million until 2021. Washington signed Niskanen to a 7 year deal with a cap hit of 5.75 million, the guy had 1 good year, very very strong possibility this blows up in their face at some point. Even the Suter signing a few years ago by Minnesota, I’m glad Detroit didn’t sign him. Minnesota now has a cap hit of 7,538,462 until 2025. Suter is 29 right now with 11 years left. If he regresses in lets say 3 years, this contract will severely handcuff them for another 8 years!

I’m not saying that you are in any way implying that the Wings should have made any of the above moves, I’m just using those examples to make my point. My point being simply that making a move to make you better “now” is not always what is best move for the franchise as whole. If this was pre-cap and they make a bad UFA signing, all that does is hurt them financially, now a days in can result in you having to lose very good players down the road because you cant fit them under the cap.

Feel free to think what you want, I'm not here to convince you.  I'm just here to say that fans expectations aren't "unrealistic" because the organization purportedly has the same expectations.

I'm sick of this whole "Red Wings fans are spoiled with success" argument.  You're supposed to want your team to compete for the championship every year.  You're also supposed to be bent out of shape when you don't think your team IS competitive.  That's what being a fan is all about.  Not sitting around casually observing the team and then clapping at the end of the game.  Ho hum. 

Edited by kipwinger, 07 August 2014 - 11:30 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#137 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Feel free to think what you want, I'm not here to convince you.  I'm just here to say that fans expectations aren't "unrealistic" because the organization purportedly has the same expectations.

I'm sick of this whole "Red Wings fans are spoiled with success" argument.  You're supposed to want your team to compete for the championship every year.  You're also supposed to be bent out of shape when you don't think your team IS competitive.  That's what being a fan is all about.  Not sitting around casually observing the team and then clapping at the end of the game.  Ho hum. 

I would love it if the Wings now where what they were back in the glory years. I agree with you in that I want the Wings to compete for a championship every year, I get upset when they get eliminated from the playoffs, I also agree with you that this is what being a fan is all about, I also don’t want to casually observe the team and then clap at the end of the game.  Ho hum.....I wouldn’t be posting on here, buying season tickets, and watching the games if I didn’t feel that way. I think for the most part we are on the same page.

I guess where we respectfully agree to disagree, is that I believe to build a winner in the NHL nowadays takes much more time than it used to, and I believe because back in the early 2000's all the Wings had to do after a rough patch was make a few signings (ie. Hull, Robitaille etc.), or make a big trade (ie. Hasek, Lang etc.).....that people believe management should be able to do that now. It's simply a different world, and to have those same expectation are unrealistic.

You can’t just go out and sign a bunch of UFA's as that can hurt you long term, and young talent is more important now then it may have ever been with all the long term contract going around now, so you dont want to trade young guys.

Long story short, we want the same thing here......GO WINGS!

#138 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I guess where we respectfully agree to disagree, is that I believe to build a winner in the NHL nowadays takes much more time than it used to, and I believe because back in the early 2000's all the Wings had to do after a rough patch was make a few signings (ie. Hull, Robitaille etc.), or make a big trade (ie. Hasek, Lang etc.).....that people believe management should be able to do that now. It's simply a different world, and to have those same expectation are unrealistic.

Agreed.

I sort of think of it in terms of marriage and parenthood. The Wings of the 90s and early 2000s were a bachelor who was basically beholden to no one. Then that bachelor got married and became a father. Now he has certain responsibilities. Now every move he makes has to be born of a series of careful considerations. Would he like to spend every weekend with hookers? Maybe. Could he spend every weekend with hookers? Maybe. But, really, he can't. He shouldn't. Because he'd be a bad husband and father. Everything would fall apart.

If it were up to Ken Holland, he'd spend as much of Mike Ilitch's money as he could. Were it up to Ken Holland, he'd trade all his draft picks for all-star acquisitions. Were it up to Ken Holland, there'd be no cap, and we'd have a dynamite team every single season, like back in the 90s and early 2000s. But none of that's doable in the cap era. Every consideration is complex. Every draft pick matters. Realistically, every penny that can be pinched, is pinched. One wrong move can wreck your team - and organization (The All-Important Bottom Line) - for years.

At the end of the day, the Wings were a juggernaut for two straight decades. The cap and our empty prospect cupboards started to catch up with us, and Kenny decided to switch to a retooling plan, the idea being that we tread water for a few years in exchange for another ten years or more of contention. And even then, he's never been fully resigned to simply treading water, because he's gone for Suter, Parise, Edler, Niskanen, et al. I've given him s*** for that for the past couple of years, saying he's a hypocrite and whatnot. But I think all he really wants is to see the Wings win the Cup as soon as possible, same as us. Key thing is, though, he has to be responsible. He has to take a long view of things, has to know when to exercise restraint. He has to do what's best for the club in the long run and in the big picture. I have to give him a lot of credit. Were it me, I'd probably be more like Paul Holmgren, wheeling and dealing but never really getting his team anywhere, and, actually, probably hurting them more than he's helping them.

Edited by Dabura, 08 August 2014 - 06:40 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#139 kliq

kliq

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Agreed.

I sort of think of it in terms of marriage of marriage and parenthood. The Wings of the 90s and early 2000s were a bachelor who was basically beholden to no one. Then that bachelor got married and became a father. Now he has certain responsibilities. Now every move he makes has to be born of a series of careful considerations. Would he like to spend every weekend with hookers? Maybe. Could he spend every weekend with hookers? Maybe. But, really, he can't. He shouldn't. Because he'd be a bad husband and father. Everything wold fall apart.

If it were up to Ken Holland, he'd spend as much of Mike Ilitch's money as he could. Were it up to Ken Holland, he'd trade all his draft picks for all-star acquisitions. Were it up to Ken Holland, there'd be no cap, and we'd have a dynamite team every single season, like back in the 90s and early 2000s. But none of that's doable in the cap era. Every consideration is complex. Every draft pick matters. Realistically, every penny that can be pinched, is pinched. One wrong move can wreck your team - and organization (The All-Important Bottom Line) - for years.

At the end of the day, the Wings were a juggernaut for two straight decades. The cap and our empty prospect cupboards started to catch up with us, and Kenny decided to switch to a retooling plan, the idea being that we tread water for a few years in exchange for another ten years or more of contention. And even then, he's never been fully resigned to simply treading water, because he's gone for Suter, Parise, Edler, Niskanen, et al. I've given him s*** for that for the past couple of years, saying he's a hypocrite and whatnot. But I think all he really wants is to see the Wings win the Cup as soon as possible, same as us. Key thing is, though, he has to be responsible. He has to take a long view of things, has to know when to exercise restraint. He has to do what's best for the club in the long run and in the big picture. I have to give him a lot of credit. Were it me, I'd probably be more like Paul Holmgren, wheeling and dealing but never really getting his team anywhere, and, actually, probably hurting them more than he's helping them.

Completely Agree! I like the analogy.

#140 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

I agreed with everything you said except the bolded part. I've heard other people say this as well. I don't understand why anyone thinks it's a contradiction to build from the draft and try to sign UFAs. I think this belief is felt by many in the "confused about the direction of this team" thread. But why would they not go after these players? I won't cost draft picks so it doesn't compromise the idea of building from the draft. It's not a rebuild where the team is trying to putting out a bad roster to ensure a high draft pick - They're trying to put out the best possible roster and just keep the draft pick we get and work with those. These UFA signings would take away roster spots from young player (so you can argue against the Cleary, Quincey signings) but a player like Suter, Parise, etc. would be better than almost all prospects now and in the future so they would certainly help the team any way you look at it. Why would Holland be a hypocrite?